A Healthy Breakfast for Dinner???

Options
PlanetVelma
PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
So my 9 y/o has been asking for "breakfast for dinner". Normally I make scrambled eggs, waffles, bacon, etc... But I want to healthify it.

I watched Alton Brown on Good Eats one day and he made waffles using oatmeal instead of regular flour for his waffles (he used a food processed to get the oatmeal into a flour type substance). I know I want to try that, but does anyone have any suggestions for making this a healthy "breakfast for dinner"??

Replies

• cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i do egg-beater omelettes filled with veggies, turkey sausage and a multi-grain bread.

i think the waffles made from oatmeal sounds great and I will have to Google it!!
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    My mom used to make us zuchinni mini pancakes. She'd shred the zuchinnis, mix them up with an egg white, skim milk and a couple of table spoons of flour (whole wheat, oatmeal, buckwheat, your choice)....and hten just pan fry on a pan sprayed with PAM. Serve with sour cream or plain greek yogurt.
  • Gorgena
    Gorgena Posts: 5
    Options
    Wow, zucchini pancakes sound amazing. I must try those!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Maybe try fried ham instead of sausage or bacon. It's low in fat. Or turkey bacon isn't too bad. You could use whole wheat bread for french toast and use egg white for it. Instead of syrup, try a little fruit compote and a dusting of icing sugar.
  • PlanetVelma
    Options
    the original alton brown recipe for "oatmeal waffles" is pretty gnarly & fattening! LOL I'll have to modify it (egg beaters, etc...) and of course my waffles won't be as big as an off-road tire either! LOL
  • PlanetVelma
    Options
    Zucchini mini-pancakes, those sound AWESOME!
  • nsavard21
    nsavard21 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm in love with making pancakes out of oatmeal, they sound gross, but they are really very good!!

1/3 cup oats
    1/3 cup cottage cheese
    3 egg whites

Then just blend it all together and make a pancake like you normally would. This recipe makes one pancake. You can also add in cinnamon or cocoa, I like to put a bit of peanut butter and sliced bananas on top....delicious!! Good luck!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    There are some tasty and low fat chicken sausages available if you want to serve a breakfast meat. I can't currently remember the name, but Target carries a good one. Be sure to read the labels though, some chicken and turkey sausages are just as bad as pork sausages.

Those oatmeal waffles do sound great. One thing I really like is to use the pure fruit spreads on waffles instead of syrups. Or there's the option of serving it with fresh fruit, like strawberries or blueberries.

Scrambled eggs should still be fine. Just spray your pan with a non-stick spray instead of using butter. And if you want to keep the calories down a bit further you could mix half whole eggs and half of the liquid egg whites from a carton.

Good luck. Hope you find a healthy combination that you both enjoy.
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    Try a healthier french toast instead of pancakes...use wheat bread and egg whites and spray pan with pam (of course cinnamon and vanilla flavoring :) Instead of regular bacon make canadian bacon (mine is 70 calories in 3 slices). Use lite syrup or fruit (bananas and strawberries are my fav) and top with non fat whip cream..Sounds like dinner for me one night next week :)
  • leighow
    leighow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I make multigrain pancakes all the time, my kids love them.

1 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup cornmeal
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 egg whites
    1 3/4 skim milk
    3 tbsp canola oil

makes 16 pancakes. Combine all the dry ingredients together, in another bowl add all the liquid ingredients together, make sure your eggs whites are frothy before adding the milk and oil. Mix them all up together..I usually use 1/4 cup of mixture per one pancake
  • PlanetVelma
    Options
    The multigrain pancake recipe sounds awesome, i'm sure you could make waffles with that same recipe.

Thanks for all the suggestions! :)