What exercises can I do to burn calories while sitting at a

Options
I sit on my butt at an office all day. Can anyone help me think of some "desk-ercises" to help burn cals as I work?

Replies

• Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    me too...anyone?
  • MahalaDavis
    MahalaDavis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I found a 20 minute resistance band workout that you can do sitting at your desk. I usually do it when our managers are in their morning meeting :) I'm pretty sure the day will come when they'll let out early and find me in some unflattering position and call 911 before I can explain lol.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I found a 20 minute resistance band workout that you can do sitting at your desk. I usually do it when our managers are in their morning meeting :) I'm pretty sure the day will come when they'll let out early and find me in some unflattering position and call 911 before I can explain lol.

LOLOLOLOL.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/exercise-at-your-desk
    http://www.diylife.com/2007/08/16/how-to-exercise-while-youre-stuck-at-your-desk/
    http://www.mastersinhealthcare.com/blog/2009/50-easy-ways-to-lose-weight-while-you-are-at-work/
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I walk on my breaks :)

One block is a mile and takes 15-18 mins. I really try to get those two walks a day as i work in the fattest potluck office ever
  • clothes_of_sand
    Options
    do you have a closed office or a cubicle type thing? You could try arm exercises with small handweights
  • bethymay123
    Options
    I don't know about calorie burn but when I had a desk job I would tighten my abs then relax several times it is an easy and discreet way to work your abs at work.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I run up and down the stairs a couple of times per day...you can do sneaky stomach crunches while you are sitting at your desk, just tighten up your abs and crunch a bit...all depends on if your office has a door. I can't do much since there is a guy sitting about 5 feet behind my chair.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i know people who have invested in an exercise ball & sit on it instead of a desk chair at work & if they have an office, closing the door for some quick cardio & calisthenics :o)
  • heatherhart
    heatherhart Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Dont know if they will allow you to get rid of your chair but just sitting on an exercise ball is a workout & you have to sit up straight unless you wanna fall off lol
  • heatherhart
    heatherhart Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    haha guess we thought alike lol
  • 4everm3
    4everm3 Posts: 22
    Options
    try to walk on your lunch break. maybe walk to the store and get something light to eat on your way back. I have a tiny trampoline that I keep at the office so as of today I will do 20min of jogging on my lunch breaks. and if you don't mind looking like a fool. dance in your chair =D I am alone so it's easy for me to do. but I know some people work around others
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    When I'm at work I do secret pushups in the toilet so nobody will laugh at me :)

Ok so not technically at my desk but you can still do it when you're in the office. Start with knee-pushups if you can't do any full-body ones.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    When I'm at work I do secret pushups in the toilet so nobody will laugh at me :)

Heh... me too, though I do "half pushups" starting from the sink counter level... I work with welders, the bathroom floor is nasty. :happy:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Are you up and down a lot or just at your desk? Someone suggested once every time you sit down to go just to where your butt touches then stand up and then sit back down - easy tiny squat. You can also stand up every 1/2 hour and do 5-10 of these yourself, if you don't feel too odd. :)

Don't think you'll get any cardio in since keeping your HR up at a desk is impractical and likely not prone to productivity, but you can do some toning.

Butt flexes, ab flexes, kegels, sitting w/ your back off the back of the chair for some trunk stability, exercise ball for a seat (careful, watch your posture - I have back issues and this just made it hurt more)

Didn't look through these, but you may want to:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blofficeworkout.htm
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/24084-office-chair-workout/
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/office-exercise/SM00115
  • admiremybeauty
    Options
    Bump
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Is there absolutely no other time you can squeeze in even a little exercise? You've gotta really scrape the bottom of the barrel to get some exercises you can do at a desk. You could walk/cycle to work? Or if its too far for that to be practical, park further away and walk in, or get off the bus a couple of stops earlier.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Heh... me too, though I do "half pushups" starting from the sink counter level... I work with welders, the bathroom floor is nasty. :happy:

Great minds think alike! I rotate between a set of push-ups, squats and lunges every bathroom trip!
  • GLLove
    GLLove Posts: 77
    Options

Bahahahaha!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    as you exhale squeeze your abs and butt muscles. Get out of your chair every hour or 2 and stretch or pump out a few air squats.
  • GLLove
    GLLove Posts: 77
    Options
    Is there absolutely no other time you can squeeze in even a little exercise? You've gotta really scrape the bottom of the barrel to get some exercises you can do at a desk. You could walk/cycle to work? Or if its too far for that to be practical, park further away and walk in, or get off the bus a couple of stops earlier.

I can do things after work but I've had trouble with keeping any kind of routine. Since I am going to be here 40 hours a week it feels silly to waste those hours just sitting when I could be doing more. I work in a small office. Its about 25 minute drive each morning and only one row of parking. But those are great ideas especially to those who can. LOL @ secret bathroom push-ups. Thats one I may actually have to try.

Just trying to get the most out of my days!