grrrrr......1 portion??????

Options
kdrew11
kdrew11 Posts: 363 Member
Think I've just eaten about 600 cals over my limit! Had a prawn foo yung takeaway which mfp database states is 300 cals per portion and after a bit more research it looks like it refers to what I would call a third of a portion ie a third of a container. Is it just me or does that seem like a child's portion? I have always had a container to myself. Boooooo!

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    portion sizes are so hard to get right! Its like with breakfast cereal - a portion is normally 30g - what you get in one of those tiny variety boxes, but can you imagine that keeping you going till lunch?
    If you start weighing stuff out, its easy to work out why we put on weight in the first place.
    Dieting is all about portion control.
  • Bockety
    Bockety Posts: 21
    Options
    Portion sizes are so tricky! I used to think Triscuits were a great, healthy snack until I read the nutritional info and saw one serving is six crackers. Six crackers? What am I going to do with six crackers?

If I'm not sure what the serving size is of something, I just measure out a cup. This has worked well at restaurants and with takeout food. If I'm still hungry, I eat veggies on the side.
  • Mommy07inlove
    Options
    Im sorry!! I have that problem with alot of things lol,thats why i have started checking every label before i eat and if its a restraunt or god forbid a ::GULP:: fast food joint..i look it up on mfp on my android! as for the calories,just work them off lol if your craving was satisfied and you work it off alls good :)
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Sorry, it's probably true. Portion sizes suck! They are my weakness.
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes are so tricky! I used to think Triscuits were a great, healthy snack until I read the nutritional info and saw one serving is six crackers. Six crackers? What am I going to do with six crackers?

:laugh: That's Funny-- and I agree :happy:
  • kaits108
    kaits108 Posts: 305 Member
    Options

Hahahah! I totally agree! 6 crackers is a tease
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I agree! I hate portion sizes, especially when I first joined here and was logging what I ate, they always seemed so tiny! I used to think "is this it?!" You get used to it though and now I'd be stuffed after half of what I used to eat.
    Takeaways are one of those things just laden with calories as well, no need to deny yourself a "full portion" of it in the future if you really like it, just make it more of a treat to have every now and then rather than on a regular basis :) For now, exercise? You must be able to burn at least some of those 600 cals off with something?
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes are hard to get right.

Though I noticed if you want crackers.... Reduced Fat Cheezit's are the way to go. There are 29 crackers to 1 serving. And 1 serving is about 100 calories.

You just have to be careful, and like everyone said, you have to measure out. As for restaurants, I have found eating half the food serves me well. You get 2 meals for the price of one! LOL.
  • Bockety
    Bockety Posts: 21
    Options
    What I've figured out is the reason that portions are so small is because you're supposed to have single portions of different food groups. So a portion of meat with a portion of veggies and a portion of carbs, with a portion of fruit for dessert. If you have all of that in the same meal at every meal, you're more likely to be full. Also, if you can pull all that together for every single meal, I'm jealous :P
  • Chanellie
    Chanellie Posts: 23
    Options
    Yea portion control is a B***h! lol... but I try to eat alot of fruits and veggies becasuse they're pretty true to portion size and you can eat alot and be full. Popcorn also works