Hats off to the ladies.

Options
I have always heard that we men have a much easier time at weight loss than the ladies, but I never really thought about why/how this could be true. Then earlier this week I set my wife up here on MFP after she commented about how well it was working for me and that she should try it out for herself.

The calorie comparisions were shocking to me:

Me: BMR = 1900, Calorie Goal = 1620 with a weight loss level of 1.5 lbs per week - Height: 6-0, Weight 211
Wife: BMR = 1360, Calorie Goal = 1200 for a weight loss level of 1 lb per week - Height 5-7, Weight 150

This means that on any given day I can consume 420 calories (a McDonald's Double Cheeseburger) more than her and still achieve a 50% greater weight loss. Plus, if I happen to go below my calorie goal all that happens is that I lose MORE weight. If she does it, she runs the risk of going into starvation mode (less than 1200). I get a 700 calorie window for weight loss compared to her 160, and that equals out to 4.4X more weight loss potential.

No wonder women seem to have such a harder time at loosing and maintaining their weights.

BTW: My wife is only 15 lbs heavier now than the day we meet (16+ years ago) and too me she still looks great and she gets compliments about here figure all the time. However, if it makes her feel better about herself, and she doesn't drop below a healthy weight (according to MFP, she is well within her healthy weight range now) I will support her efforts 100%.

Replies

• SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You are most likely the only man that has gotten it!!! Thanks for understanding! Best wishes, Shelia
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! It makes me feel good that there are men who realize that us women DO have to work harder to lose the weight. And it sucks sometimes.

I also think it's great you support your wife, even though you think she looks great. I am sure it makes her feel even better to know that no matter how much she loses (within the healthy weight) you will find her attractive. She's got a great man!
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    And if you're a short/petite female, it's even harder. http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=3893830

=(
  • blumuse
    blumuse Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wow.. great post. Always seemed like it was easier for men and that makes total logical sense. What a great husband you are too. Good luck to both of you.
  • bradrockell
    Options
    Also, as men have a more muscular frame they burn more calories pound-for-pound.
  • drward
    drward Posts: 10
    Options
    You are awesome!!! Good Luck to both of you!! My husband and I both just started a week ago. We are both down 3 pounds but I'm sure he will race ahead shortly!! But it's nice to support each other! Kudos to you!!!
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    First, I think it's great that you support your wife that much. I'm sure it means a lot to her. And you do a wonderful job.
    Secondly, THANKS, finally a man who got it! LOL
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You are an awesome husband to take notice of that struggle!
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Your wife is a lucky woman!!!
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thank you for understanding!!!
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Thats great info.....please leave your man card at the door on your way out!!

I'm totally kidding. I never looked at it that way. It certainly gives a different persepective on things. It's great tha tyou guys support each other like that. So many horror stories about unsupportive spouses on here!! Nice work brother!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    It'd be easier for a 211 lb lady to lose weight, but at 211, I imagine that you are only looking to lose 10-15, maybe 20 as well? So the same weight loss goal as your wife as far as # of lbs, and close in % of body weight. If you are looking to lose more, your cal intake will lower when you get to 180 or so (for example) but it will still be over where your wives are right now.

It doesn't help that we're maternally programed to have certain fat stores while men are genetically programed / evolved to have more muscle. Not to say it's not possible to have that great bikini body - but it's genetically difficult for many ladies!!! Slow and steady! :smile: And sometimes, you (we) have to just be comfortable with not quite bikini perfect (realistic goals!).
  • WinKitty
    WinKitty Posts: 119
    Options
    I'm supportive of my husband's weight loss, but I'm jealous...for this exact reason. He gets to eat more than I do and exercise less, and he's lost 23 pounds since March 1st, whereas I have only lost 12 (which is still great, but you know what I'm sayin'). He encourages me, but I'm not gonna lie: the moment he's lighter than me will be a desperate one for me, and that's when I'll need some love on here, lol.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    great post!!
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Finally someone acknowledges this!!!! THANK YOU!!!
  • byuboston
    byuboston Posts: 11
    Options
    This makes me appreciate the 10 pounds my wife lost this last year.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the accolades, but truthfully that was not what I was hoping to get out of this post. Rather, I just wanted to point out the fact that there are physical reasons why men lose weight faster than women, and to provide substantial data to prove it.

LOL... I just realized that both posts from me are definitely reflective of the Engineer that I am.
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ha! Yes, and I'm sure your wife thanks you for noticing.

My calorie limit is 1440 (to lose about .5 lb a week). My husband's is over 2200 (to lose 1 lb a week). So the other day when I ate nearly 900 calories over my limit I consumed almost exactly his allowed calories. Yikes!