How do I overcome plateaus?

Options
Hey all,

I have been losing weight for a couple months and am doing pretty well, but I still struggle with plateaus. I lose a few pounds then get stuck at the same weight for a week or so. How do I overcome those plateaus when I come to them? Or do I just have to live with it? Do most bodies experience this when doing weight loss programs?

Thanks for your help, friends.

Replies

• patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    One thing my nutritionist told me is that sometimes we have to "trick" our bodies. They get used to the amount of foods that we are putting in and it sometimes adjusts itself. So occasionally when I hit that plateau, I will indulge myself a little and eat something that "I am not supposed to" without going crazy. Then I get right back onto the plan and it seems to jumpstart me enough to get off of the plateau.

Also LOT AND LOTS O WATER
  • Wmn1120
    Wmn1120 Posts: 14
    Options
    Everyone hits a plateau. Keep working through it don't stop what you are doing! You will break through and start losing again!! What are your workouts like?
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Would love to hear what you are doing for workouts and what your diet is like??
  • Wmn1120
    Wmn1120 Posts: 14
    Options
    One thing my nutritionist told me is that sometimes we have to "trick" our bodies. They get used to the amount of foods that we are putting in and it sometimes adjusts itself. So occasionally when I hit that plateau, I will indulge myself a little and eat something that "I am not supposed to" without going crazy. Then I get right back onto the plan and it seems to jumpstart me enough to get off of the plateau.

This is completely true! My trainer told me the same thing. It totally works. Good Luck! and YES lots and LOTS O WATER!!!
  • jo_chrystal
    Options
    Thank god it's not just me i have been kicking myself and getting so so frustrated i had a few weeks were i stayed the same and then i gained and i hadn't done anything wrong i was so upset, so i feel your frustration it's hard keep up the good work you'll get there x
  • byuboston
    byuboston Posts: 11
    Options
    My workouts consist mostly of 30-60 min of cardio and 15-25 min of weight lifting 5 days a week and I eat about 1400-1500 calories a day (about 300-400 calorie meals 3-4 times a day and a possibly 100-200 calorie snacks in between when needed). I eat a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits, fish, turkey, chicken, greens, wheat breads, brown rice, etc. I can thank my wife for finding great foods for me to eat to keep me healthy and eating well. Also, I have cut out sodas and sugars and try to drink lots of water every day.

Any suggestions on how I can make this better?

Thanks for the suggestions. It is good to know others experience the same things I do.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options

This is completely true! My trainer told me the same thing. It totally works. Good Luck! and YES lots and LOTS O WATER!!!

My gal at the gym also suggests changing your workout routine as well
  • kbdelarosa
    kbdelarosa Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I actually did a fruit and veg (plus some chicken and turkey and one granola bar) cleansing the last few days, I dropped 3 pounds after sitting steady for awhile (actually after gaining a few from being sick with the flu and not being able to move).....just saying...it worked for me!
  • PrincessLacey
    Options
    This happens to me all the time,I've even tried dropping my calories to like 800-1,000 that does help so I have to wait it out.
    Plus some exercise like I currently found out about mine keep you lose inches rather than actual pounds.