Heart Rate Monitor - Chest Strap necessary?

Options
I've only been here for 3 1/2 weeks, and my exercise of choice at this point is my elliptical machne. I hope to add walking or maybe running later, if time permits. I'd like to get a heart rate monitor to see what my calorie burn is, and to see when I'm in my target zone. There are such a wide assortment of HRM's available, I'm a llittle lost. I dont' want to spend a fortune at this time. I don't know if I need a chest strap, I'd rather not wear one if it's not necessary. I've seen what I think are good monitor's ranging from $49 to $200! Help!

Replies

• ValMae
    ValMae Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hmschultz
    hmschultz Posts: 32
    Options
    I didn't want to spend a ton of money on one, so I went to Target and got a New Balance one. It was around $50 and does what I need it too.
  • Triathlynne
    Options
    I would get one. I use one all the time. I had a watch with strap originally then upgraded to a garmin 306 (For running/hiking/biking etc etc) Those can be costly but a simple HRM with strap you can easily get for about $50. I think Target sell them now, plus Amazon do too.
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I got mine @ walmart for $59
    it does have a chest strap which you need to continuously monitor your heart rate
  • leb89
    leb89 Posts: 54
    Options
    my HRM watch was only 50 bucks and comes with a strap. Got it from wal-mart and it works great! No problems yet.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Target New balance with strap for about $65....My calories burned with the strap was more accurate then one without. It also syncs with my gym's equipment which is a bonus.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It's not absolutely necessary. Though, watch HRMs require you to frequently check your HR by touching the watch's sensor constantly. The chest strap is convenient in the fact that it will constantly monitor your HR, so if you happen to increase or decrease the intensity, it will automatically adjust the calorie burn based on that plus your gender, weight, height, and age..depending on the model of HRM you purchase. The most popular brand is Polar for general ease of use. It's up to you and what works to your benefit. Do your research and find one that you like using.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I recommend one with a chest strap. Without the chest strap you have to put your fingers on the watch to check your heart rate. I use mine to know calories burned. I have the oregon scientic se102 with shipping I got it for 48 from their website. I love it. It took a little bit to get used to how to use it but my favorite part is thee chest strap works with cybex machines and that is what gym use
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Yes, the ones w/out will read your heart rate (you have to stop and put your fingers on it) but not continuously, which won't give you an accurate reading. if you are serious about wanting one, I say, if you can't spare $75 or 100 then wait a month or two or three and buy one that is good rather than getting what you can now for $20.

polar is across these boards a hands down favorite (i love mine, but per my bodybugg it seems to overestimate my burn a bit so i round down on the calories I log off it) Mine was $75. I got it from a instructor at my gym who is a dealer, so that was a deal. You can get them online too. Just get a newer one since if you have to send it in sooner to replace the battery, it might make up for the difference you saved (mine is 2 1/2 yrs in with use 3-5 times a week and just starting to show a 2/3 battery life)
  • sharper43
    sharper43 Posts: 109
    Options
    Yes, you need one with a chest strap to accurately calculate your calories burned. It gets a constant reading of your HR the whole time. If you get one without the chest strap, you will be so disappointed! It's very inaccurate because it only bases your burned calories on when you stop and touch the face of the watch. The strap feels like the bottom band of a sports bra, and if you are already wearing a sports bra, then you won't realize you have the strap on. It's worth it, you will get a lot of use out of it.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT4 is $90 from ****'s Sporting Goods or even Sears.

The chest strap provides constant monitoring of your Heart Rate. NOt sure about all wrist only monitors, some require you to hold a button while it checks your HR. With the chest strap your heart rate is monitored the whole time so at the end of your workout you have extremely accurate data on your AVerage and MAx HR for that session and calories burned. Not just the info for the times you check it on the wrist watch only.

In my opinion, Don't bother buying one without a chest strap.
  • sharper43
    sharper43 Posts: 109
    Options

Agreed on this HRM. I have the Polar FT4 as well, and very happy with it!
  • robinmath
    robinmath Posts: 59
    Options
    I use the Polar F7. I just got it at Best Buy for around a hundred bucks. I tried many others but this was best for me. It does require a chest strap but its very comfortable. So happy I can finally accurately report my calories burned!
  • SueSee
    SueSee Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks! I'll go back to the stores with the chest strap in mind. I appreciate the input. My elliptical has a calorie burned readout, and a heart rate, but i don't trust it.
  • CarlitaK
    CarlitaK Posts: 139
    Options

Agreed on this HRM. I have the Polar FT4 as well, and very happy with it!

I have it too and just tried it out for the first time last night. It's awesome, so happy i bought it! the strap didn't bother me at all.
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    I would get one. I use one all the time. I had a watch with strap originally then upgraded to a garmin 306 (For running/hiking/biking etc etc) Those can be costly but a simple HRM with strap you can easily get for about $50. I think Target sell them now, plus Amazon do too.

I have that same model. I guess I didn't do enough research on it, because I thought it would monitor my heart rate just by being on my wrist (where the pulse can be found). But as I opened the packaging, I noticed the strap and was disappointed that I would have to wear that during my run. I have yet to put it on. I think it will probably drive me nuts. :(
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I got my polar ft4 on ebay for $70 just got it in the mail monday and i really like it very easy to use and im very well endowed on top and the chest strap doesnt bug at all
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    a lot of people recommend the chest strap, but honestly, i went for the wristy one with the button you push, just cuz i'm broke as hell ALL THE TIME, and i only had about 25 bucks to spare. got mine at wal-mart. it's kinda cute and it serves my purpose. but the type of workouts i do allow me to stop my workouts every couple of minutes. when i go walking or running it doesn't really require me to pause at all.

the variable is gonna be whether or not you have a hand available to push the button.