Trying To Burn Calories at a Desk Job

Options
I need to find ways to burn extra calories during my work day since I have a desk job. Right now, all I can do is take the stairs from the 1st floor to the 11th floor when I get in, walk around the floor and during lunch go on walks. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to add?

Replies

• grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    make a few more trips on those stairs!
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Fidget. Forget the phone and email when you have a question, get up and go ask someone (this is good career advice too, it gets your face in front of people). Take a 5 minute break every hour and go down to the main floor and back up to the 11th (on the stairs). Tap your toes. Sit up straight and engage your core.

I've always wanted to get one of those little pedal machines like bicycle pedals you just put on the floor and have that under my desk to sit and spin on all day. Still don't have one.
  • IanGiles
    IanGiles Posts: 54
    Options
    Park your car further away from the office if you use one or get of the bus two/three stops sooner than you need to...
  • vmf04
    vmf04 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    depending on where you work, can you replace your seat with a stability ball? I used to work for Crunch Gym as a personal trainer and our Regional Personal Training manager switched out the secretary's chair with a stability ball and had her wear a 'body bug' (those things you see the biggest loser contestants wearing on their arms) to track calories burned and she burned an extra 300 calories a DAY just sitting on a stability ball instead of a chair. When your body is fighting to stay balanced, you burn more calories. Also, try squeezing your glutes a lot. sounds stupid, but it works. Pretend you've got a penny between your you know whats and squeeze like you are trying to make some change out of it. ;)
  • GLLove
    GLLove Posts: 77
    Options
    I posted almost this exact question today. Great responses here too. I am seriously thinking about the stability ball.
  • barberella
    barberella Posts: 199
    Options
    I've mastered the desk job..How much privacy do you have? I'm in a room by myself, but every one else passes through the room to get to the file room, plus there's people on the other side of me time to time. But I have brought a resistance band to work, and when no one is around, I step on that and do some bicep curls. I also will make a game out of it. When I go to the copy machine, I do push ups off the table while I wait for the copies (when no one is coming..that's the game part of it). I also do push ups off the sink while I wait for my lunch to microwave. I do lunges at my desk, as well as squats in the file room. At 10:30 or so, I run the back stairs for about 5 minutes. it's only 4 floors, but I try to see how long it takes me. We also have a gym downstairs so I go down there around 3 for about an hour, but that's just a luxury most people probably don't have. But I also used to walk at lunch to the grocery store just to buy an apple. Also, I brought these 5 pound dumbbells from the gym and use them at my desk too. Believe me, I have been "caught" before, but I really don't care. I only work with 6,7 people and every one knows my habits and how much I go to the gym. Last summer, I biked to work 3,4 days a week so they understood I was nuts at it..
  • glamazonjenn
    glamazonjenn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    all great suggestions...you can also burn calories with really focused good posture and centered (tightened)core muscles. Standing instead of sitting when you can. Every little bit counts...
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    :happy: You guys are great!!! I'm loving all the suggestions and think I'll be utilizing a couple of them! Thank you so much!