Heart Rate Monitor Vs Gym Equipment

Options
I'm debating on if I should buy a heart-rate monitor or is the gym equipment usually pretty accurate? I've been going just based on gym equipment so far but from here most people use a heart rate monitor, and I'm thinking of looking into buying one. hmmm..what do you think?

Replies

• seeingthelight4444
    Options
    I trust my heart rate moniter much more than what the equipment says. The equipment always reads for me about 100 calories burned higher for my workouts. I have a monitor with a chest strap and I love it.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    In my experience the equipment tends to over estimate quite a bit. I would definitely suggest investing in a HRM, it will help with logging your calories and not over estimating calories burned!
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    With the gym equipment you enter you age and weight and the computer will provide an estimate of how much you burned it has not way of measuring intensity. However, the HRM will measure intensity and give you a more accurate number.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I agree, invest in the heart rate monitor - gym equipment takes a beating and is set for an average population and ya didn't hear this from me but....I can't help but wonder why they show such a high burn (pretty much popular opinion I'm reading)....makes ya want to cme back and do it again.....ssshhhhhhh

much success to you?
  • PaulineHol
    PaulineHol Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Its a good idea to get your own heart monitor. I have one and I think its great. PaulineHol
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I spent the money and got a HRM, both MFP and machines give inaccurate amounts and I think when every calorie counts you want to be as close as possible. More importantly, seeing those numbers on my wrist all the time really changed my workouts. My intensity was different, my drive was more and I realized I can get a great burn from pushing my baby in a stroller. I promise you won't be sorry if you get one! Make sure you get the one with watch and chest strap, the are most accurate!
  • dawnkitchen
    dawnkitchen Posts: 161
    Options
    Gym equipment UNDERestimates my calorie burn. Get a HRM to be more accurate.
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm like Dawn...gym equipment always underestimates my cal burned by almost 100...
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I concur with all the HRM people...I can "estimate" with gym equipment or go by what MFP says, but I feel much more secure with the number I get from my HRM (Polar FT7)...