Can Someone Tell me?

Options
Hi everyone,
I noticed that I go over my protein and I am wondering.....what affect this has on my weight? thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    same question here! I am ALWAYS over my protein.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Unless you are eating hundreds of grams a day, you are likely BENEFITING yourself by eating more than MFP recommends. Continue eating a bunch of protein!! Hooray!!

MFP's recommendation is very low. Protein will harm your system in large quantities, but that quantity is hard to reach for any average person. Take your weight, cut it in half, and eat about that, or a bit less in grams of protein.

My example: 150 lbs, in half 75 lbs... so I should eat no more than 75g of protein each day. Many days I get less than 30g, though I have been trying to increase it. My range would be anywhere under 65-70g I'd say.
  • LuvLeigh42
    LuvLeigh42 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    hope we get responses lol
  • LuvLeigh42
    Options
    Thanksssss soooo much!!!!! I feel better now
  • jrlitt76
    jrlitt76 Posts: 52
    Options
    I had to manually change mine to 60g a day which is the recomended 20% for someone who is working out and doing any kind of weights or circuits. I agree MFP is set too low
  • captainlindarg
    captainlindarg Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Unless you are eating hundreds of grams a day, you are likely BENEFITING yourself by eating more than MFP recommends. Continue eating a bunch of protein!! Hooray!!

MFP's recommendation is very low. Protein will harm your system in large quantities, but that quantity is hard to reach for any average person. Take your weight, cut it in half, and eat about that, or a bit less in grams of protein.

My example: 150 lbs, in half 75 lbs... so I should eat no more than 75g of protein each day. Many days I get less than 30g, though I have been trying to increase it. My range would be anywhere under 65-70g I'd say.

This! You're doing great, I usually have trouble with my protein being too low!
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how omnivores tend to say that MFPs protein is low. The RDA is 0.8g per kg of bodyweight, iirc, and that tends to be about 12% of your calories, lower if you're on maintenance.

Of course, the same bias is present when veg*ns point this out. The maximum half of body weight in pounds thing is handy though; so according to both of these, I should aim for between 46g and 63g of protein. Good to know.

I don't know what eating too much protein does, I very rarely have that problem.
  • swopoe
    swopoe Posts: 15
    Options
    I always go over in my protein. But I never thought that was a bad thing!
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    MPF estimates for protein are WAY too low. The general rule is you should take in 0.8-1 gram of protein per your body weight, cut that in half.
  • Tarah1357
    Tarah1357 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I asked this a while ago too. I seem to go over my Protein & my Fiber daily in most cases but I too was told that by going over it a little is more beneficial to you than anything.
  • LuvLeigh42
    Options
    I asked this a while ago too. I seem to go over my Protein & my Fiber daily in most cases but I too was told that by going over it a little is more beneficial to you than anything.

Thanks for the tip on the Fiber because I did go over my Fiber too....I haven't gone over the Fat and Carbs so I guess that's good lol
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Too much protein is a high number difficult to reach for many of us, but it is good to be aware of the harmful effects it may cause:
    If you take excessive amounts of protein...it can lead to over-straining of kidneys and long-term metabolic problems.
    Excess protein intake enhances diuresis (loss of body water) as the body excretes excess nitrogen (urea and ketones) through urine. This causes mineral losses and increases the risk for dehydration. High-protein diets are often high in cholesterol and may contribute to obesity, osteoporosis, heart disease and cancer.

Simple English = You strain your kidneys (you need those to live!); you pee more than you need to, losing vitamins and minerals (you need those to live, too!)
  • LuvLeigh42
    Options
    Too much protein is a high number difficult to reach for many of us, but it is good to be aware of the harmful effects it may cause:
    If you take excessive amounts of protein...it can lead to over-straining of kidneys and long-term metabolic problems.
    Excess protein intake enhances diuresis (loss of body water) as the body excretes excess nitrogen (urea and ketones) through urine. This causes mineral losses and increases the risk for dehydration. High-protein diets are often high in cholesterol and may contribute to obesity, osteoporosis, heart disease and cancer.

Simple English = You strain your kidneys (you need those to live!); you pee more than you need to, losing vitamins and minerals (you need those to live, too!)

Yikes...that doesn't sound that good...thanks I will keep this in mind :)
  • Midgetgem74
    Midgetgem74 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Protein is good for sustaining hunger for longer so eating slightly more protein can help you to feel full and crave less meaning not wanting bad foods!
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options

All true, but this info is really aimed at those that eat a protein exclusive diet...if your diet is balanced..ie also includes fruit & veg you are very unlikely to eat enough protein to damage your body.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Yep that's why I mentioned it is difficult for many of us to reach that point.

I totally forgot the hunger effects of protein, I love so much to eat protein rich foods, they really REALLY do make me feel FULL! :D