How many is REALLY too few Calories?

Options
So I've been on MFP for a week or so. One thing I've noticed is that when I work out, I net quite a few extra calories so I have more to eat in a day. A lot of the time, I have about 230 calories remaining and it says I need to eat more. Is it REALLY not enough? I don't want to go into starvation mode and ruin my healthy routine I'm trying to get into, but I feel full... so I don't wanna keep stuffing my face when I don't need to... lol.

If I should eat more, what snacks are great for upping ur calorie count?

Replies

• Nataliethin81
    Options
    Nuts, fruits, yogurt are my fav's!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Don't go lower than 1200 calories a day. It's recommended but you don't HAVE to eat your workout calories. I usually only end up easting some of them if none at all. :flowerforyou:
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with eating enough especially when I'm not hungry. I've been eating an apple with peanut butter, a handful of nuts, etc. Those are high in calories but a small amount of food. Hope that helps!
  • jenntyler1984
    Options
    I do not really think the idea is for you to stuff yourself. If you are full and feel normal, don't eat extra. But, if after working out you feel like you need something extra, then the option is there. If you don't use those calories then there are even more you burned, taking you just that much closer to your weight loss goal
  • paperbagprincess
    Options
    I was thinking a healthy nut trail mix. An unsalted one since I'm not really a fan of the salt in the first place. I definitely eat over 1200 calories when I work out, I just don't eat ALL my net calories.

Maybe a protein shake of some sort with different fruits? I just don't wanna be frozen at a certain weight all because I'm not eating enough.
  • mphotdol
    mphotdol Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was just told by a trainer that if you go near 1000 calories under your requirement including your activities, your body will think it's in starvation mode... If you see yourself slowing down your progress, better take a look at this.
    I share your concern when I go to the gym, I make a huge deficit.
    And when I don't (until it gets warmer outside around here) I often have too much. Aaahhhhhh!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just have a couple of those bottles that are in your profile pic and you should reach your intake goal in no time! :drinker:

Seriously, most people suggest you stay near 1200 NET calories which means calories eaten minus calories burned. That being said, if you aren't hungry there really isn't any reason for you to eat just to meat your daily goal.

I wouldn't suggest going way low on a frequent basis but an infrequent low day won't hurt you! Just listen to your body, it knows what it needs! :happy:
  • paperbagprincess
    Options
    haha yaaah... you gotta drink Corona when ur in Mexico! It was okay cuz they had a gym there!

Thanks so much everyone! Just wanted to see what everyone's take was on that. :happy:
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    you can safely go up to 1000 calories under your goal including the gain from exercise without going into starvation mode. i try to keep mine between 200-900 under. if ur really worried bout it n want to get in some easy cal...drink a healthy smoothie its easier to drink calories than eat them...also dried fruit and nuts, more small snacks, lean protien
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. 1200 is not a magic number. And going under your # (whatever it is) for a day or so or every so often is not bad. Your body learns from routine. If I go under 1400 for 5 or 6 days I get lethargic (and cranky :smile:) I don't worry if I have a day every so often where i net 1000 or even 500 calories. I don't do it often (and not currently because I'm preg). I have days where I go over a good 1200 calories as well and so long as I ate something i really enjoy (Maggiano's Fried Zucchini! YUM! SO worth an overage!) and I figure that just helps balance out and confuse in the other direction! It averages out.

I also account that there is error in my logging (I dont measure everything and weigh nothing so I know I'm not spot on) as well as in my calorie logging (my HRM reads a little high on the cal burn I think) so i don't always worry about eating them all back, but especially on big burn days I eat back most of them.