BANANAS

Options
Good or bad? I love them and usually have one a day! But ppl keep telling me there bad for you?

Replies

• jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say so.

A banana is rich in many nutrients (potassium) and high in energy and fiber.

One a day won't hurt you.

One medium banana has 100 calories.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    have them after a hard workout!...
  • thisgirlcanmoove
    Options
    i just read a whole lot about bananas this morning because i eat them daily too. The things I read - said to eat them on an empty stomach and with lots of water. They are great for you! Just like any raw fruit. :smile:
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    they're supposed to be a great BEFORE workout food because of the way your body digests the complex carbs in them & protein after workouts to repair muscles. :o) i like them & they're filling with pb when you're hungry!
  • mwhartley
    mwhartley Posts: 35
    Options
    I eat a banana every morning. I don't see any negative results and still loosing. I am not sure there isnt a bad fruit out there to be honest as long as you just watch your portions. :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat a whole one every day because it keeps me from poopin. :blushing: But they're good health food. A lot of people think they're "bad" for you because they're fairly high in sugar, but unless you have a specific health issue like diabetes, it's not going to be a problem for you.
  • firefighterswife58
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am really trying to make sure I eat the right things.. and being it is fruit you would think it would be good for you... But I am gonna limit myself to one a day.. I had two yesterday.. I am not a big fan of other fruits, but I do eat alot of vegs :)
  • karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I love them, I eat one everyday and I haven't had a problems! :)
  • ScottyLikesCake
    ScottyLikesCake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was told that there is an enzyme in bananas that can inhibit weight loss if your body metabolizes that particular enzyme, so some people find eating bananas slows down their weight loss. So it depends ont he individual.

I haven't found this to be true for me as I love bananas and it's the wine and cake that effects my weight loss not the fruit.
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Why do people assume fruits are bad for you?

We didn't get to this site by eating too many fruits ;)
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I have at least one banana every day. I had a gf a looong time ago that told me to stay away from bananas and avocados because "they're fattening". Well after much research they do have fat, but it's the good fat you need and as long as you don't eat an entire bunch of bananas or 3 whole avocados in one day, they're not horrible for you.

Any fresh fruit every day is great for you! :)
  • Hiker_Chick71
    Hiker_Chick71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bananas are high in natural sugar..thus why you should make sure you eat small ones. If you are eating them for potassium, there is more of that in a potato. I eat them but only the small ones and always before noon! :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Bananas are great for you. Green bananas are very high in soluble fibre which helps prevent bowel cancer.
  • Hiker_Chick71
    Hiker_Chick71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just because its fruit doesnt mean its good because of the natural sugars. Cranberries, Blueberries and Blackberries are the highest in fiber and lowest in sugar!
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Just because its fruit doesnt mean its good because of the natural sugars. Cranberries, Blueberries and Blackberries are the highest in fiber and lowest in sugar!

That may be, but natural sugars are FAR better for you than processed sugars like candy bars, cake, etc. That's what I was getting at.