Whey protein????

Options
Ive seen several people on different posts refer to whey protein
What IS it exactly?
And does it taste like, well, gross?

The only whey Ive ever heard of is "curds & whey" (from the nursery rhyme) which is actually cottage cheese and I hate cottage cheese

Replies

• mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    you don't taste the "whey", you only taste the flavor it is, such as vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry etc. My fave is chocolate in hot milk...tastes like hot cocoa.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Whey is milk. Plain and simple. Whey protein is the protein found in milk (or whey). The only difference is that before calling something "Whey Protein" a company isolates the protein to various degrees. This results in a mixture that is far lower in fat and calories than milk, as well as typically far lower in lactose sugar (you know, the thing that so many people are intolerant of?). It's also in powder form, so you can store it forever, mix with it a lot of different things, etc.

It doesn't taste gross. If you just mix it with water, it tastes like milk and whatever flavor it is.

I love whey protein powder; makes it easy to ensure I get enough protein without taking huge calorie hits. I recommend Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Natural Whey (I use vanilla) if you want a good simple and quality protein powder.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is not as awful as it sounds. You wanna make sure you get the whey protein isolate, not to be mixed with the stuff muscle builders eat , the isolate has the least amount of calories. I buy the vanilla one and its delicious in smoothis or a glass of milk gives it a creamy vanilla flavour and has like 18g of protein a scoop. Try it you might really like it :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is a source of quality protein derived from dairy. On its own, I believe it's virtually flavorless. Usually it comes flavored and sweetened. You will find Chocolate, Banana, Berry, Cinnamon, etc. These days, they just keep coming out with more and more flavors. Some use fruit sugars, some use artificial sweeteners, and some use natural sweeteners like stevia. A protein drink is a quick and convenient way to get some extra protein during the day. If you're on a 5 or 6 meals a day sort of schedule for example, 3 of those meals could be real meals and the other 2 or 3 can make use of some whey product. It's really just a matter of convenience.
  • fedor99
    fedor99 Posts: 16
    Options
    Try Pineapple and coconut flavor with frozen ice taste like a pina colada with no alcohol

mix in a tablespoon of organic peanut butter and bananas

almond butter and strawberries

The skys the limit
  • ChessRonin
    Options
    Also, in case you were curious:

I said that whey is just a synonym for milk. What are curds you ask? Well, cheese! When you take a cow's milk and allow the components to separate, the curds are used for cheese and the whey is what's left (skim milk).
  • amwells82
    amwells82 Posts: 12
    Options
    "Whey protein is a high quality protein powder from cow's milk. Milk has two proteins: Casein (approximately 80%) and Whey Protein (approximately 20%). Whey protein is more soluble than casein and also has a higher quality rating. It is often referred to as the "Gold Standard" of protein as it is the most nutritious protein available."

I got this quote from www.wheyoflife.org!!

Basically, it is a powder that contains many nutrients that your body needs all in one. It comes in different flavors like chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, and cookies and cream. Just mix a scoop of it with ice, any frozen fruit, and water or skim milk, and blend together in a blender. It actually tastes really good and most people drink it after they exercise or replace it as their breakfast. Hope this helps:)
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    thanks everyone
    ill check it out
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Whey is a bi-product of making cheese, and a great source of protein. (Alternative sources of protein powders are soy protein - should always be organic - and hemp protein.

It's not gross, as long as you use a blender to mix it. Otherwise, the powder may not fully dissolve and I find the texture a bit off-putting, but otherwise it's not that bad, and it's better than protein bars, as shakes are absorbed quicker and you don't get the extra additives. (You can add fresh fruit and nut butter to make it a delicious after-workout drink.)
  • jabberjaws77
    jabberjaws77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I get the chocolate & add a scoop of peanut butter to it....mmmmmmm!!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is the Whey from Curd 'n Whey which is purified and dried to make a powder which is very high in protein, almost 100%. It is then flavored and sold as a supplement. It is an easy way to add protein to your diet, and I find it very handy since while I am losing weight I am on a fairly limited calorie diet. It is quite good for right after a workout to provide the protein needed to repair and rebuild your muscles.

No, for the most part they don't taste gross, they taste really good.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I have whey protein almost every morning. I put 1 tsp of instant coffee and 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein (whatever brand it is that Wal-Mart sells back by the pharmacy in the big containers) and about 10 or so ounces of water....shake it up REALLY good....and it's not too shabby. I don't like really cold slushy drinks, but you could do the same thing in a blender and just add some ice instead of all the water and make it more like a smoothie. It's only 140 calories, has lots of protein (which is important to have in the morning) and usually keeps me full for several hours).
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    I have whey protein almost every morning. I put 1 tsp of instant coffee and 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein

Never thought of this! Thanks for posting! Will have to try it out. ;)
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Just to be balanced, TRY a sample before you buy; I personally find protein shakes disgusting, even the whey ones. I've found one or two that are not awful, but it's definitely a personal taste kind of thing. Jonny Bowden likes whey; I consider him a solid source on nutrition. Happy drinking!:drinker:
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I have whey protein almost every morning. I put 1 tsp of instant coffee and 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein

I'm a coffee fiend, so anything I can add coffee too gets points in my book! :bigsmile:
  • ChessRonin
    Options

I'm a coffee fiend, so anything I can add coffee too gets points in my book! :bigsmile:

Have you seen "Daybreakers," with Ethan Hawke and William Defoe? A movie where vampires exist in a civil society; they put blood in their coffee instead of milk; reminds me of this conversation, hehe...