Help... (maybe tmi)

Options
Ok,so I used to eat alot of fast food and lots of fried, sugar foods and recently changed to just salads and grapefruit. I have also been eating lots of eggs for breakfast. I used to have normal bowel movements but since the change I have been going like 3-4 days at a time w/o one and when i do it's not much. I have been having lots of stomach cramps and aches in my pubic region as well. The first couple days of my new diet I was having about 2-3 bm's a day now Im just in alot pain cuz I cant go unless I take a laxative and that just hurts my tummy more. AS far as fiber goes, I drink lots of water and add benefiber quite often. Has this happened to anyone else out there, and if so how did you change it? Im hoping its just my body adjusting to my new way of eating...is that possible??

Replies

• dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    sounds like you arent getting nearly enough fiber. you should be getting at least 24 grams per day. Need to eat more fiber rich foods like apples, legumes, salads, can add flax to salad, oatmeal. Also may want to try metamucil once a day to regulate you. Once your body gets used to this food you should adjust as long as your getting enough fiber!! (good luck!)
  • fadeedaf
    fadeedaf Posts: 4
    Options
    You have to realize, your body before was having way too much fiber and far too much waste being produced. Now you eat things that are mostly digested so you won't have 2-3 bm's per day. Keep taking that fiber and keep drinking lots of water. Try not to go overboard with the benefiber though, it can have reverse effects.

If you feel like you have a serious problem, obviously go talk to your doctor.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    It happened to me for a while. Oh, it was awful. I was only going like twice a week, and was so bloated. It went away when my period came around, and now I'm regular again.

I would advise NOT taking laxatives -- they work in the short-term, but if they make you go too much then it just repeats the cycle. Try a stool softener before bed instead. If it doesn't help, you can take another one in the morning (this is true for the brand I buy, but read your label!!!). Make sure to drink lots of water, and try to get some light exercise in: a brisk walk, some dancing, etc. Eat some yogurt to restore the proper balance of enzymes in your gut. Massage your abdomen with the heel of your hand from right to left. If all that doesn't help and you're really uncomfortable, I would probably see your doc.
  • Kristy085
    Kristy085 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Definitely more fiber!

Check out this article!

http://www.wehealnewyork.org/healthinfo/dietaryfiber/index.html
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It should work itself out (no pun intended) once your body gets used to the new foods that you are giving it. Personally, I don't think it's the fiber change so much as the fat intake change. If you eat a lot of fast food and such your body is getting more fat which lubricates your insides and makes things move a little more freely. Take that extra fat away and your body may slow down a little until it's used to the changes.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Restoralax or peglax are gentle for your system and can be taken once a day ongoing to regulate you, they can be added to anything (dissolveable powder). Or senna (senokot) before bed can be helpful (its natural) avoid docusate (its a detergent) and lactulose is suggested but can cause significant cramping. If you are having cramping and bloating you may need to increase your water intake as well.
    If you continue to have problems you should see a health professional.
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've had similar problems.... :cry: I eat at least 24 grams of fiber each day (up to 30+ some days) and drink 9+ glasses of water/day... I've added a stool softener (cause the laxative caused me tummy trouble too) and that's helped a little. I was told dairy may cause constipation, so I cut out all yogurt and cheese and have cut way down on milk (skim) too- but then I worry about osteoporosis. I'm wondering if I need more exercise.... I'm anxious to see what other suggestions you get. Doesnt seem fair that now that we've "cleaned up our act" and are eating healthier, we get "this".... :sad:
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had the same exact problem until today, ironically haha. My grandmother gave me some benefiber and I took 3 teaspoons in some cranberry juice last night (even though i know you're only supposed to take 2) and I finally went to the bathroom this morning and I feel so much better! I now swear by benefiber haha.
  • seadog1
    seadog1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, took Polyethylene Glycol called soomthlax at Walgreens. I also took Malox and went on bland diet for while till it cleared up. Sounds like your having a problem with Diverticulosis or Diverticulitis. More fiber will prob help. I am not a doctor so my opinion is free and prob worth what you are paying for it.
  • ValMae
    ValMae Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Magnesium...one pill per day...works wonders. I have had the same problem for quite a while and didn't want to use laxatives or stool softeners due to the opposite adverse reaction but the magnesium works great. I take it in combination with a daily multivitamin to help level out calcium (if you take magnesium, you should also take calcium...) plus all the other benefits a multivitamin provides...no expert though, just an individual who has done her homework!
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, took Polyethylene Glycol called soomthlax at Walgreens. I also took Malox and went on bland diet for while till it cleared up. Sounds like your having a problem with Diverticulosis or Diverticulitis. More fiber will prob help. I am not a doctor so my opinion is free and prob worth what you are paying for it.

Polyethylene glycol = peg lax/restoralax...
  • marielenrdz
    marielenrdz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I lost my natural rythym when I started dieting, too. I rely on Fiber One bars (at least two a day), Metamucil (at least twice a day) and lots of water with lemon juice. I also started taking Phillip's Colon Health once a day (a probiotic) to help get things on some level of normalcy. For the occasional thorough "clean out"....I rely on Milk of Magnesia to clean the pipes, so to speak!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Try backing off the benefiber and adding more natural fiber to your diet....like spinach in your salad or any other dark green leafy vegetable. I used to have a lot of trouble with constipation and when I did go I would sometimes even bleed...after finally seeing a gastroenterologist, he told me that if I wasn't drinking enough water with the benefiber then it would make things even worse. I stopped drinking the benefiber, started drinking more water, and added lots of fiber through whole grain/whole wheat bread and some good fibrous veggies and eventually things started getting back to normal.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    GREAT source of fiber = honey nut cheerios. Maybe it's just me, but if I have 3/4 of dry honey nut cheerios for breakfast, by lunch time I've gotta go...plus they don't have any high fructose corn syrup in them! :smile:
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    salads and grapefruit I wouldnt consider a healthy diet....whats in the salads? no waste in = no waste out
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Other than eggs, salad and grapefruit what are you eating? Is it possible that you just aren't eating enough and you're feeling hunger pain?

Try drinking several cups of warm water (don't put black tea in it - caffeine will worsen constipation). You can add some mint or ginger for flavor. All three ingredients soothe stomach and intestinal pain (assuming it's minor upset and not something more serious) and the warm water will help with the constipation. Plus it won't upset your intestinal balance like chemical laxatives can. (This isn't folk medicine BTW - my pediatrician recommended it years ago. Works on anybody and gentle enough to give a small child.)

A friend of mine who's a nurse said that 1-2 bowel movements a day are plenty for colon health. Less than that and you don't have enough fiber. However, if you've got pain obviously something needs to change.