shin splints

Options
I was wondering if anyone has a cure for these or a stretch to not get them?

Replies

• westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    BUMP -- I don't have a remedy, but my shins are KILLING me this week, so I'm interested to see what others post...
  • Varsity90
    Options
    It's a good idea (if you already have them) to ice the front of your shin heavily. Cover the entire front for about 20 to 30 minutes. Do this for about 3 days and go easy on any running. Also, it may seem contradictory, but a good stretch is a calf one. Stand facing a wall with your toes on the wall and your heal on the ground (so that the wall, floor, and bottom of your foot make a triangle) and lean forward with your leg locked for about 30 to 45 seconds. You should feel the strech in the back of your calf. It may seem weird, but I used to get shin splints all the time while running track and doing the above always helped. Good luck!
  • fadeedaf
    fadeedaf Posts: 4
    Options
    Being a big guy, I get shin splints when I run. To remedy this I went and got a new pair of shoes that were for my gait (the way I walk and run) and then got some shin/calf supports.

http://www.triathletesports.com/Zoot-Unisex-CompressRx-Calf-Sleeve-p/f9ucc01.htm

Those are what I use.
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Here's a fun stretch you can do: Write the alphabet in the air with your toes. Use big enough letters to make your foot flex and point all the way.
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints last summer. I ended up in the doctor's office. I could not exercise for over 2 weeks. He told me before I started walking and when I was finished to stretch and point my toes for about 30 seconds. Then to put my toes on a step with the heals hanging off and and lift up and down for about a 30 to 60 seconds. I also bought a pair of cushioned insoles for my sneakers.
  • tinalina81
    Options
    Thanks for all the info, I will try all the above!
  • khharms
    khharms Posts: 12
    Options
    If you are getting them frequently, new shoes are in order. Go to a running store that specializes in running shoes and get fit. It will make all the difference in the world :)