I need a weird vegetarian recipe : )

Options
Hey!

I need a really weird vegetarian recipe that doesn't have eggs. It can have milk or cheese though. I just don't like eggs....I am soo sick of people saying things about what I am eating (even though I don't really eat that weird) so I REALLY want to get some comments. Haha...I think it would be fun! I need some really crazy weird recipes, but ones that don't have TO weird of ingredients. Because 1. I am poor and 2. I am a chicken.....I mostly just want it to LOOK weird. Taste GOOD. : )

Thanks!

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Try this recipe! http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/2010/06/wild-rice-salad-with-yogurt-vinaigrette/

It "looks" kinda weird I suppose, and it sounds odd based on the ingredients, but it tastes amazing! I made it this summer for my family and they raved about it :)
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'll ask my husband if he knows one. He's the cook, not me LOL And he makes some really good stuff with veggies, especially now that I'm on the diet so I don't eat a lot of the bread and pasta like I used to.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I love Quinoa with stewed tomatoes and okra. Cajun seasoning...people always look at me weird when I take it to work..but I love okra!
  • wildtrapeze
    Options
    Butternut Squash chips?? They are bright orange???
    Im also a veggie, and Im not much of a fan of eggs either really... im also poor.

Are you me?!!
  • Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    carrot and red lentil dahl is a vegetarian recipe with no egss and its yummy and only 200cals per serve. http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/2009/april/carrot-and-red-lentil-dhal I am sure you will love it! And anyone else who reads this too. Brown rice with it and you have a complete meal {brown rice adds a bit of cals though}
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I second the quinoa :)
    I love gnocchi too.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    here is the recipe i use for making vegetarian lasagna. i am not sure how odd it is but i know it's great because my boyfriend is italian and he told me the first time i made it that i had outdone myself. he though i was already a good cook before he had this. it upgraded me to excellent.

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 pounds cremini and/or shiitake mushrooms, sliced . i don't like mushrooms so i substitute diced egg plant or zuccini for the mushrooms
    Kosher salt. i substitute a half tea spoon of sea salt sometimes. not usually because the ricotta and parasean cheese already salty enough for me.
    1 15-ounce container part-skim ricotta if i can't find the part skim ricotta i add low fat cottage cheese instead.
    3/4 cup skim milk
    2 eggs, lightly beaten you can substitute eggs beaters 1/4 cup or egg whites for this, i myself don't even put the eggs in at all because i am allergic to them. it still tastes great and holds together just fine
    3 cups shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided evenly
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    Freshly ground black pepper
    5 cups tomato sauce
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more to garnish. instead of the tomato sauce i add a 20 ounce can of diced tomatos with the italian seasoning in them. then use a teaspoon of dried basil and a tea spoon of italian seasoning.
    12 sheets no-cook lasagna noodles, i substitute and protein enriched lasagna noodles instead, i just layer them on straight from the box
    Nonstick cooking spray

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and thyme and season with salt. Cook until softened, about 10 to 12 minutes.

3. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, milk and eggs, and stir. Add 1 cup of mozzarella, Parmesan, spinach, basil and oregano; season with salt and pepper and stir to incorporate.

Recipes From This Episode
    Vanilla Cupcakes
    Steak With Cauliflower "Mashed" Potatoes
    All "Cook Yourself Thin" Recipes
    Main "Cook Yourself Thin" Site

4. Spread 1 cup of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9-x-13-x-2-inch pan. Layer 4 sheets of lasagna on top, slightly overlapping. Spread half the ricotta mixture on the noodles, and cover with half the mushroom mixture. Top with 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce. Repeat with 4 sheets of lasagna pasta, remaining ricotta mixture, remaining mushrooms and 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce. Cover with the remaining 4 sheets of lasagna, the remaining cup of tomato sauce and the remaining mozzarella cheese.

5. Lightly coat a sheet of aluminum foil with nonstick spray and cover the uncooked lasagna, spray-side down. Bake at 375 degrees, covered, until bubbly, about 45 minutes. Remove foil from lasagna and increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees. Cook until cheese browns, about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Serve warm and garnish with basil.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Oh wow...the lasagna looks amazing sinful! YUMMMMMMM
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is weird but it's cheap, easy, vegetarian and doesn't contain eggs. Basically little veggie tacos~
    Saute up your fave veggies, I always do zuchini and mushrooms, add green onion and/or spinach if I feel like it. Lightly brown a couple of corn tortillas in a frying pan with a little Pam (important step for maximum deliciousness!). Fill tortillas with veggies, top with a pinch of mozzarella cheese and some hot sauce. I'm not vegetarian but I like to eat a lot of vegetarian meals!

How about green smoothies? The taste of berries with the bright green color of spinach!
    Blend 1/2 (or 1 whole) frozen banana, a handful of frozen berries, a large handful of fresh spinach, almond/soy/dairy milk to get it the consistency you like and sweetener/vanilla to taste. Marvel at the color and drink!
  • itsjustme77
    itsjustme77 Posts: 102
    Options
    Try allrecipes.com
    All kinds of different foods.
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Most recipe's i use dont have eggs in :)

Vega recipe's i make often are risotto, stirfry's (loads of those), lentil soup or other soups that dont have meat in like tomato or veggie. Falafel, tho i guess the calories on those would not be really low as you deepfry those.

Good luck cooking :D
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    here is the recipe i use for making vegetarian lasagna. i am not sure how odd it is but i know it's great because my boyfriend is italian and he told me the first time i made it that i had outdone myself. he though i was already a good cook before he had this. it upgraded me to excellent.

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 pounds cremini and/or shiitake mushrooms, sliced . i don't like mushrooms so i substitute diced egg plant or zuccini for the mushrooms
    Kosher salt. i substitute a half tea spoon of sea salt sometimes. not usually because the ricotta and parasean cheese already salty enough for me.
    1 15-ounce container part-skim ricotta if i can't find the part skim ricotta i add low fat cottage cheese instead.
    3/4 cup skim milk
    2 eggs, lightly beaten you can substitute eggs beaters 1/4 cup or egg whites for this, i myself don't even put the eggs in at all because i am allergic to them. it still tastes great and holds together just fine
    3 cups shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided evenly
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    Freshly ground black pepper
    5 cups tomato sauce
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more to garnish. instead of the tomato sauce i add a 20 ounce can of diced tomatos with the italian seasoning in them. then use a teaspoon of dried basil and a tea spoon of italian seasoning.
    12 sheets no-cook lasagna noodles, i substitute and protein enriched lasagna noodles instead, i just layer them on straight from the box
    Nonstick cooking spray

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and thyme and season with salt. Cook until softened, about 10 to 12 minutes.

3. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, milk and eggs, and stir. Add 1 cup of mozzarella, Parmesan, spinach, basil and oregano; season with salt and pepper and stir to incorporate.

Recipes From This Episode
    Vanilla Cupcakes
    Steak With Cauliflower "Mashed" Potatoes
    All "Cook Yourself Thin" Recipes
    Main "Cook Yourself Thin" Site

4. Spread 1 cup of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9-x-13-x-2-inch pan. Layer 4 sheets of lasagna on top, slightly overlapping. Spread half the ricotta mixture on the noodles, and cover with half the mushroom mixture. Top with 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce. Repeat with 4 sheets of lasagna pasta, remaining ricotta mixture, remaining mushrooms and 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce. Cover with the remaining 4 sheets of lasagna, the remaining cup of tomato sauce and the remaining mozzarella cheese.

5. Lightly coat a sheet of aluminum foil with nonstick spray and cover the uncooked lasagna, spray-side down. Bake at 375 degrees, covered, until bubbly, about 45 minutes. Remove foil from lasagna and increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees. Cook until cheese browns, about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Serve warm and garnish with basil.

OMG! I love that show! This is my fav recipe from it. I had to also buy the cook book. My husband loves this as well. I thought I was the only one :laugh: