Don't Give Up!

Before you guys give up read this

Yeah don't give up. "Off the scale" victories are more important than a number. Before I couldn't pick up a penny off the floor with huffing and puffing afterwards.

Have you ever heard of the psychologist term "setting point". A idea in psychology is that your mind has a set point of how much weight you are. It sets your metabolism to this. So when you try to lose weight your metabolism slows down to try to reach your normal weight. I personally have experienced this when I was trying to lose my 42 pounds. I diet was clean and my exercise regimen was intense. I was losing weight but as soon as I ate bad it seemed like I would gain 3 pounds. It was very depressing and would blame my slow metabolism. Finally though I reached my goal. Still once I ate bad I would gain weight quite fast. It took me 4 months after reaching my goal, which took me 5 months, of maintaining a healthy life-style to finally where my body, I feel, has changed my "setting point". Now I can cheat like 4 times a week and not gain a pound. I feel that by maintaining my weight for a long period of time my mind changed my metabolism. The problem I seem to be having now is gaining weight.

I know this is still a controversial topic and I need more read up on it more but it does explain a lot to why individuals have a hard time losing weight even when they do everything right.

Well I hope I helped anyone wanting to give up.

Replies

• Before you guys give up read this

Yeah don't give up. "Off the scale" victories are more important than a number. Before I couldn't pick up a penny off the floor with huffing and puffing afterwards.

Have you ever heard of the psychologist term "setting point". A idea in psychology is that your mind has a set point of how much weight you are. It sets your metabolism to this. So when you try to lose weight your metabolism slows down to try to reach your normal weight. I personally have experienced this when I was trying to lose my 42 pounds. I diet was clean and my exercise regimen was intense. I was losing weight but as soon as I ate bad it seemed like I would gain 3 pounds. It was very depressing and would blame my slow metabolism. Finally though I reached my goal. Still once I ate bad I would gain weight quite fast. It took me 4 months after reaching my goal, which took me 5 months, of maintaining a healthy life-style to finally where my body, I feel, has changed my "setting point". Now I can cheat like 4 times a week and not gain a pound. I feel that by maintaining my weight for a long period of time my mind changed my metabolism. The problem I seem to be having now is gaining weight.

I know this is still a controversial topic and I need more read up on it more but it does explain a lot to why individuals have a hard time losing weight even when they do everything right.

Well I hope I helped anyone wanting to give up.
  • erin83070
    erin83070 Posts: 78 Member
    Thank you for this! I was thinking this afternoon about the BMR.. Mine's probably pretty sluggish now but I'm becoming more active every day. I guess it takes some success and maintenance before you can change your activity level in the BMR..