Hummus recipe?

Options
elopez5
elopez5 Posts: 1
I recently tried hummus, and i wanna know if anyone out there has a tasty recipe?

Thanks

Replies

• catwoodard
    catwoodard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know too. I have seen some prepared in the grocery store but it is quite expensive!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If you aren't up for making it from scratch, Sabra has many different flavors and is very good. You can make quesadillas with it, or put it in pitas. You can add low fat cheeses or chop up brocolli/cauliflower and peppers. I love hummus!!!
  • drward
    drward Posts: 10
    Options
    Go onto Food Network! Great place for yummy recipes... I'm sure Giada has one! Hummus is yummy but can be fattening, watch your intake. But it is super yummy on raw veggies.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    YES!!

1 can chickpeas
    1-2 jalepeno peppers (chopped and seeded)
    1/3 cup pistachios (without shells)
    2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
    1 tbsp sesame seed oil
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp olive oil
    chilli powder, garlic, and cumin to taste

put the pistachios and peppers into the food processor before the chickpeas. The rest doesn't really matter order-wise.
    So delicious!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Also, sorry for the multiple posts, but here is many different ways to make hummus:

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/middleeasternfood101/a/hummus101.htm
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I make a really simple one but its really, really good!

Chickpeas
    olive oil
    garlic
    lemon juice
    paprika
    a little salt

I put all this in a food processor and blend! I add the olive oil as needed to get the consistency.
  • gembanana
    gembanana Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i make a low fat version:

in a food processor:

quarter of a white onion
    juice from half a lemon
    3 cloves of garlic (i love garlic!)
    sea salt
    pepper
    small handful of parsley

pulse

add 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed, and a splash of water

pulse

if it's too dry add more water

so good! sometimes i substitute white beans for a change, and play with adding ingredients like olives, sundried tomatoes, capers....
  • corgant715
    corgant715 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    3 cups chickpeas, cooked, drained
    1 roasted red bell pepper, skinned, seeded, and coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 - 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
    1/2 cup tahini
    2 Tbls water
    4 - 6 Tbls lemon juice, to taste
    2 Tbls extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    1/8 tsp ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp sweet paprika

1. In the bowl of a food processor, place the chickpeas and red bell pepper.
    2. On a cutting board, mash the garlic cloves with 1/4 tsp of salt to a smooth paste with the side of a knife, then add this to the processor along with the crushed red pepper, tahini, water, 4 Tbls of the lemon juice, 2 Tbls of the olive oil, cumin and pepper. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Taste and adjust the seasoning by adding salt and additional lemon juice, if necessary, to taste.
    3. Transfer to serving bowl and sprinkle with paprika.

16 servings

94 Calories
    11g carbs
    4g fat
    3g protein
    2g fiber
    229mg sodium
  • Paradis
    Paradis Posts: 54
    Options
    For me it is cheaper to buy it on sale.Once a month it is buy one get one free.So I am paying $1.50 a container and get any flavor I want.So much cheaper than making it at home.I made homemade a few times and did not like it.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I love making hummus! And I love hummus in general lol You can add so many different things to suit your taste, roasted red peppers, or other spices are nice to add too like cumin. I buy packaged hummus sometimes too, I like Tribe brand.

Here is recipe I use, you can omit yogurt if you'd like.

1 can chickpeas
    1/4 c lemon juice
    1/2 c plain yogurt
    1/2 c tahini
    1-2 garlic cloves
    salt

Combine in food processor. Spread on shallow plate, top with olive oil and paprika to garnish.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I want to try that last recipe. I have a bunch of tahini left, and I didn't know what to do with it. I bought it to make bubba ganouch(sp) but I didn't like it.
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    HUMMUS
    1 (12 oz.) can garbanzo beans
    1 clove garlic
    2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    2-3 tbsp. tahini sauce (sesame paste)
    juice of 1 small lemon
    1/2 tsp. salt

Drain 1/3 of the water from the can of garbanzo beans into a small bowl. Set aside for later use.
    In a blender, mix together the garbanzo beans with the remaining can water and the rest of the ingredients.
    Blend for 1-2 minutes until a smooth, slightly fluid paste is formed.
    If desired, add small amount of the saved can water and blend to create a more fluid consistency

SPICED SWEET ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS

• 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
    • 1 (4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers
    • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
    • 1 clove garlic, minced
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    i haven't tried this yet, but want to soon. it's got edamame instead of chickpeas:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000407502
  • ann81e
    ann81e Posts: 2
    Options
    Best Hummus recipe - I make this all the time - spread on sandwiches instead od butter or mayo - eat with carrot sticks - delish!

1 can chickpeas (400g drained and rinsed)
    3 tablespoons tahini paste (organic unhulled tastes extra nutty)
    1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (fresh is best!
    3 cloves of garlic (crushed - more or less to taste - I love garlic)

That's it - blend until smooth and serve!

For a traditional presentation, spread on a plate, sprinkle with paprika and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.

Enjoy
  • gembanana
    gembanana Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    oooh adding yogurt - what a good idea! i love that little tang in my hummus!

i'm going to do that next time with a little greek yogurt
  • heididormanen
    Options
    I have been making my own out of edamane (soy beans) .. same basic recipe.. put the beans in the food processor, add a little salt, some garlic or whatever other seasoning you want (I love seasalt for this one) and then set to puree, drizzle olive oil until it looks creamy and tada!! hummas!!
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    So here is my really simple way to make hummus:

1 can of chick peas (about 15oz)
    1/4-1/2 cup water

Blend together in food processor until desired texture. This is your base; now add what ever flavors you like and BLEND. Here is what I like adding in:

-Spicy hummus- jalapenos, crushed red pepper, and cumin
    -Garlic hummus- lots of garlic (minced and powder)
    -Mediterranean hummus- little drizzle of olive oil, green olives, black olives, and garlic

Edit: I get my ideas for what to put in it from the different flavors you can find at the store