Knees

Options
I am assuming that I am not the only one with this issue. My knees hurt almost every day. The left one more so than the right. My knees are in pretty good shape, for the shape I'm in. I work on the elliptical at least 4 times per week, usually more. If I do any tread mill or walking for any length of time it gets worse.
The pain is not unbearable, just kind of constant.
I am 48 years old and have had surgery on the left knee when I broke off my knee cap about 20 years ago. It healed stronger than ever.

Any ideas on how I can reduce the pain besides constantly taking ibuprofen? Does anyone use knee wraps of sleeves when working out?

Thanks!!

Replies

• sweetbri07
    sweetbri07 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When's the last time you've had your knee's checked out by a doctor? That is probably the way to go, especially with your past history of knee problems.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I know for me at least, treadmills are terrible for my knees--the impact is even worse than running on pavement. But since you've had other issues, maybe see a dr? I have bad knees but I know others have different problems than I...
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If you can, find a pool to swim in- when applicable... it's the best for bad knees. I've tried wrapping my knee and it doesn't help- but now that I've lost some weight and workout daily my leg muscles are stronger and my knees don't hurt constantly anymore! :) Keep at it- see a doc if you have insurance and you could always try a brace- I'm sure it's different for everyone!
  • precioustypeoflove
    precioustypeoflove Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I never suffered with knee problems before but now my left knee bothers me if I do some powerful exercises... so im curious also on what I can do !
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I use knee supports for both knees - they are like cuffs or sleeves as you say. The help quite a bit actually.

I hurt them both doing box jumps with my trainer. I am having an xray done by the end of this month. I took 4 weeks off working out and the pain ceased but my first workout back and they hurt again -NOT GOOD :(

If I were you I'd start with a Dr visit and take it from there - don't ignore the pain - your body is talking to you.

Wishing you good health!
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I also have an issue with my left knee. I have been told I have a shortened tendon due to streneous sports for so many years. My knee swells in the back and causes major pain but usually starts in the evening. I have noticed if I drink plenty of water it hurts a lot less or not at all. I can really tell the days I skip on my water. Also be sure to stretch the muscle between your groin and knee after a workout. I will try to explain the stretch that works most for me and I will even do it when my knee is hurting not just after working out..try to follow if you can.

Sit down with your left leg bent with the sole of your foot facing your right leg at or above your right knee. Now kind of turn your upper body to the right while pushing your left knee downward toward the floor and slightly forward (goal is to feel the stretch in the muscle between groin and knee). Hope you could follow this but it really helps ease the knee pain.