New member from north of Boston

Options
Hi,

I'm new here, I have been tracking my food and weight for a couple of weeks now. I am a 53 year old guy, and I live on Boston's North Shore. I have found that tracking my food intake has allowed me to be accountable to myself, and to be aware of how much I am eating.

A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, something I would prefer to control with diet and exercise. I have a couple of strikes against me already. Two years ago I had a tear in a corotid artery. I survived that, which in itself is amazing, but I now have serious restrictions on what I can do. I can do some aerobic exercises, and some light weights, but I can't push myself at the gym. On the other hand, I never have to shovel snow again. One of the meds I take as a result of this tends to cause weight gain, so that works against me. However, since the first of the year I have managed to lose 10 pounds just by eating better. I hope to get back to the gym soon, I just need to be motivated a little more. I hope to lose another 40-50 pounds. Slow and steady is the plan.

It would be great to find someone to go to the gym with me, a workout partner would help with the accountability of exercising.

Always looking to make new friends.

Rick

Replies

• precioustypeoflove
    precioustypeoflove Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me !! eating healthy is 90% exercise is 10% how about taking walks every day maybe twice a day would that be to much on u ? or may be a low intensity dvd that u can do at home ?
  • sheilamo
    sheilamo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Rick,

Have you tried swimming or water aerobics? It's a great exercise that is easy on your body.

I always was one to drag my current friends to the gym to be my buddy, but they never stuck to it. The best way to get a buddy is to make a new friend at the gym (preferrably in a class that you like) this way you both are committed.

My Dad has had Type II for over 25 years now. He watches his weight and sugar levels constantly. It's just a matter of commitment!

You can do it!
  • PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    Hey there! I am from Mass too, but I am on ol cape cod! I would be happy to be your MFP friend though!