Is this weird?

Options
About 2 years ago I was 148lbs and wore a size 12/14. After working out and dieting with a personal trainer I lost 4lbs in 6 weeks and went down to a size 8. I don't remember my measurements. Fast forward to now - I'm 177lbs and WEAR A SIZE 10. I was 186lbs in January '11 and a size 12/14.

I guess my question is - What's the deal? Is this normal? I would expect to be wearing a much larger pant size at 186/177lbs. Not that I'm complaining;-) But, how does this happen? I mean, how do I wear the same size at a much larger weight? What can this be attributed to?

Has anybody else experienced this?

Replies

• alikikiay
    alikikiay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It could be the brands of clothing you wear, also sometimes clothing companies change their way of sizing. Depending on when I buy close even if they are the same brand and same size they all seem to be different fits...
  • PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    for me it is all about brands...I am a 12 in certain jeans but then if i try another brand It is not such a pretty picture!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    It could be the brands of clothing you wear, also sometimes clothing companies change their way of sizing. Depending on when I buy close even if they are the same brand and same size they all seem to be different fits...

This.

And it could be a change in ratio of muscle to fat. I know when I was approx 170 lbs I was comfortable in a 10...but when I was younger, I was in a 10 when I was about 145-150. Now, at 130, I'm comfortably in a 4-6 depending on the brand. :)
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You said you've been working with a personal trainer? Muscle does weigh more than fat, so even though you're the same size you might weight more because of more muscle! :)
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    sizes keep getting bigger and bigger, its called vanity sizing...the only way to tell if you truely are the same size would be to try on a pair of pants you had back then...if its not the clothes then maybe you have alot of muscle, muscle weighs more than fat by volume so you could be heavier but smaller
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing.

The only way to tell is to measure yourself, judging by clothes sizes is worse than useless.:grumble:
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    It also could be how the weight got distributed when you gained it back. If you gained it all in your bust then your pants size might stay the same (if that's the size you would wear in a dress too then I guess it blows my theory) ;)
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    it is weird and I really dont have any advice but I kind of know what you mean. Last year I lost over 20lbs in 4 months or so and the same exact same pair of pants fit me exactly the same as they did before I lost the weight. IDK what the deal was with that. lol Im hoping its different this time!
  • eklomeli
    eklomeli Posts: 1
    Options
    You could also be losing more upper body weight than lower body.