Knee pain from walking?

Options
Basically I get pain every nigth after I walk and even during but I just ignore it. I'm not even sure if it's knee pain i'm experiencing ,
Could it possibly be a muscle that's giving me my problems? When I massage my top upper thigh it feels really good and it seems to do the trick while massaging it?? If it is that muscle what can I do for it besides massage because I can't afford a professional??

Please and thank you :)

Replies

• realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    There are tendon as well as muscles there. If massaging the area helps then the pain is most likely muscle or tendon. Bone pain is not relieved by massage alone. Ibuprofen and alternating heat and ice can help with joint discomfort.
    Get some ankle weights of give your kids a horsey ride on your lower legs to help strengthen the muscles. Also other quad strengthening exercises should help decrease you knee pain
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options
    I love, love Icy hot!! It takes the pain away quick!! It does smell a bit (my cat loves too much, lol) but they have non-scented kind of muscle relaxer rubs, maybe one of those would work for you:) Or if you have time to soak in a bath with Epsom salt ! It is also very good for the skin and circulation! Hope this helps a bit :)

GOOD LUCK, YOU ARE WORTH IT!!

Gina
  • phatgnat76
    Options
    If it is in the joints you can take a glucosamine supplement such as move free. It worked for me when I started running last year. You have to be consistent and it takes a couple of weeks to really make a big difference.
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    Where is your knee pain? It is on one side, below or above the knee, or does it feel like its right in the knee joint?

It sounds like you're massaging the hip flexors and if these are getting tight while you walk it suggests that your glutes (butt muscles) are weak. Weak glutes are also a common cause of knee pain.

This website (http://www.livestrong.com/article/84656-hip-abductor-muscles-exercises/) has some good exercises for strengthening the glutes as does http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/HipsWt.html. Otherwise try Googling "exercises for hip abductors" or something similar.