Being judged for what you order

ybba12490
ybba12490 Posts: 252
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
I ate at Subway yesterday and ordered a 6" veggie delite on wheat bread with just onion, lettuce, tomato and mustard. I don't really like the veggies they have there so I put my own on afterwards. PLUS I got the chips. When I asked for this sandwich the woman gave me a very strange look and said in a snarky way "that's it?" and instantly became my mother, trying to convince me to get other stuff and pushing me to get cheese and meat. It made me feel really awkward, and she kept shaking her head at me like I was doing something wrong. She was definitely judging me for getting so little on my sandwich.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Lady at Subway, sorry that I'm trying to eat healthier and am not succumbing to your meatball sub!

Replies

• YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    It might have been a marketing thing more than judging you for what you're eating. If they can up you to a meat/cheese hoagie then they make more money. I've worked at food places where we were trained to always ask the customer if they wanted more, more, more to sell more items per customer. Just wanted to throw that out there if it'll make you feel better. :)
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    I get a veggie on flat bread! I don't care what they think about it. They have it on the menu for a reason!
  • LauraRhodes0902
    LauraRhodes0902 Posts: 70 Member
    To me that is very unprofessional and I'm sorry it happened to you!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    no. but probably cuz I'm a guy and intimidating. 6'3, built like a NFL lineman. but I can see from their point, they're probably just trying to make $$$. it is a business after all
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    I get a veggie on flat bread! I don't care what they think about it. They have it on the menu for a reason!
    Exactly what I was thinking!
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    I used to work at Subway, and we were encouraged to discourage veggie only subs. I never did because I had regular customers that I LOVED, so I made them whatever their hearts and diets desired.
  • miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    I'm 5'2... people always want me to eat meat like it will make me grow or something. Lol.
  • brenda_71
    brenda_71 Posts: 151
    Well I can say working in the food industry myself, she should have never been shaking her head!! The idea is to get people to come back, not make them feel uncomfortable!! Plus they advertise health food, so naturally people watching thier weight are going to come in!!
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    I'm a vegetarian and have been eating at subway more often recently - sometimes I will eat an entire veggie foot long. I tend to load it up with lettuce, black olives, bell peppers, sweet peppers, and red onion with some swiss cheese, honey mustard, and a bag of chips. And it's only 600 calories hahahaha. 675 with the chips anyway.

A foot long is $5. I don't see how they can make more money by adding more stuff to a sandwich. The woman probably didn't realize she was offending you. I wouldn't worry too much about it. To each her own.
  • You should have thrown the sandwich in her face and walked off without paying, that would have showed Judgy Mc-Judgerson!

On a serious note I understand the marketing ploys, but shaking her head would have given me free reign to mess with her.

You do realize that the 600 calories is before you "load it up" right? 1/4 to 3/4 cup of veggies does have calories, fortunately for you, it is the good kind. Now the honey mustard...... that's the bad culprit.
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    It might have been a marketing thing more than judging you for what you're eating. If they can up you to a meat/cheese hoagie then they make more money. I've worked at food places where we were trained to always ask the customer if they wanted more, more, more to sell more items per customer. Just wanted to throw that out there if it'll make you feel better. :)

I would believe she was trying to sell me something if she wasn't being outright rude, unfriendly and impatient! If someone is trying to sell me something I would expect them to be friendly and not pushy! Maybe she was just having a bad day, thats all. lol
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    I usually get the Veggie Delight Sub or Salad, and without dressing. Theemployees have been very supportive and complimentaery, one guy did smile, shake his head, and say "That has to be the healthiest sub I ever made."
    On the other hand, my Sister often is critical of what and how much I eat
  • beanie1119
    beanie1119 Posts: 150 Member
    I cannot say I have ever experienced anything like that! Granted I don't go to too many fast food places if I go out to eat now that I have been on my healthy diet. I cannot believe someone would even dare shake their head at someone for what they order. You are the customer and they are serving you your food, it is non of their darn business to make a face or anything. WOW people are ridiculous!!!
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    You do realize that the 600 calories is before you "load it up" right? 1/4 to 3/4 cup of veggies does have calories, fortunately for you, it is the good kind. Now the honey mustard...... that's the bad culprit.

I'm assuming this is for me - Actually... no. Things that are extra are the honey mustard and the cheese:
    http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/Files/NutritionValues.pdf

A veggie sub is actually, even loaded, pretty seriously low calorie.

from Subway's website: Calories for a footlong: 460

That includes:
    9-grain wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers and cucumbers.

If anything, I'm overestimating.

Enjoy :)
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Most people are so clueless on what a serving is or how many calories something has. I went to Red Robin with the kids a week ago and when I ordered I asked for a carry out box to be brought out with the meal. Once the meal came out I cut the burger in half and put away half. The server acted like I had just violated some sacred temple.
    That burger was almost 1,000 calories complete. I didn't want a salad that day so I made the best of the situation. So I completely understand.
    At a place like Subway (who advertises low calorie menu items) I'm a bit surprised, but until the public in general realizes that we (Americans) eat way too much, You just have to shrug it off as an ignorant person.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    I've had other people suggest about putting more things in my order but they've never shaked their head at me. If someone did, I would definitely say something. I agree with a comment on here...lots of people are clueless as to serving sizes and a lot of people just don't understand weight loss.
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    I have the opposite issue - im a waitress in a small cafe and we get lots of people who come inmost days. There are a couple of people who (i think) are morbidly obese and regularly order 2-3 cans of coke or have a coffee but ask me to only fill it to half as they dont think the 9 packets of sugar they want will fit in it. They also will buy crisps, cheese toasties and bacon sandwhiches in one sitting.
    I want to say to them'are you sure you need everything you've ordered?' instead of 'can i get you anything else?' because when i ask that they almost always say 'oh,well i'll have that mars bar too'
    I would never say anything to them and hopefully i dont act like it but i dont want to give them the food they order! especially when i see they came out of the lift (it's about 20 steps and the lift is meant for those in wheelchairs really) and they are out of breath and perspiring walking the 15 metres to the cafe.
    They are not my problem but i feel bad selling them food which isn't helping them.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    I have never had an issue with ordering at Subway. I always get the 6" veggie on wheat. I also get the yogurt and a water. I bet it was just that woman didn't have any manners and needs to mind her own business. Sorry this was such a bad experiance for you. Don't let her hold you back from eating there and ordering what you want.
This discussion has been closed.