P90X Yoga... help...

Options
I am planning on doing Yoga X on Saturday after doing Chest and Back....

Sunday is my long run (10miles this week).... Yoga wont screw up my long run, will it?

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Take Yoga X on your run. Don't bring it back. Yes, it will hurt your run.
  • kittyb1
    kittyb1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree with above...do the yoga x after run or next morning. If you haven't done it before it is gonna push you and if the run is really important I'd wait a day. Its an Ashtanga like yoga series, meaning strength and lots of it!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

Take it on my run... dont bring it back? LOL... so throw it in the ocean?
    I am looking for something to help me work on my flexibility.
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    honestly i found it to be super boring!!!! Yes i know its important to be flexible but my god and hour and a half doing a lot of the same thing over and over again ( downward dog?) seemed a little tedious to me!

not sure i'll be doing it very often, even if it is on the "plan".....plus as a mom of four i really have a tough time getting my workout in as is.....

now to answer your question ( sorry for the rant) IF you will want to still get it in, i would before your run, it will at least stretch ya out :)
  • wolffs05
    wolffs05 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great for flexibility, but I would do some stretching or regular yoga. Ashtanga type yoga is a LOT of strength...power yoga may be better or a more relaxed yoga. Try the Stretch DVD on the days you run...may work better...good luck!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options

Take it on my run... dont bring it back? LOL... so throw it in the ocean?
    I am looking for something to help me work on my flexibility.

It's just super over kill. It's ten workouts in one. You could abbreviate that yoga to 15-20 minutes and improve flexibility and range of motion more is not better. Any yoga like stretching before a run or anything else may actually make you more prone to injury. Yoga Belly Seven?? can be skipped, especially if you are doing the P90X program. My back therapy is all Yoga, 7-10 moves, 10-20 minutes.
  • joybuzzer2000
    Options
    I did doubles my first round of P90X and was so sick of Yoga X half way through. Started round 2 wondering what to do so i chatted with some buddies. One suggested Tony's Fountain of Youth Yoga from his one on one series. It was PERFECT!!!! More of a streching workout and only around 40 minutes long. Check it out if Yoa X is driving you to do ohmms at inappropriate times :)
  • LMac423
    LMac423 Posts: 82
    Options
    I do Yoga X every Friday night and my long runs (12+ miles) are on Saturdays. I don't do the entire Yoga X video, though. I do it from the beginning up until after the standing balance poses. I don't think if affects my run the next day at all.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I would do it the next day, not before. ...maaaybe after the run would be ok too. I honestly haven't done it for a good month because it drives me absolutley nuts, I mean to the point that I'm more pissed off after than before because it seems like overkill until the last 30 mintues. I do enjoy the last 30.
  • joshiesdad
    Options
    My wife and I totally hate the Yoga X dvd. We cut it out of the program. We always do the Cardio X or the Kenpo in place of it. It will never again be played in our house.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I agree that the P90x yoga is somewhat repetitive, but don`t judge all yogas based on that one alone, and don`t discredit the benif of P90x yoga even if it is not your cup of tea.

The overall benifit of yoga in terms of how your feel, strenght, endurance, flexibility, focus are pretty insane. Take a look at the people in yoga classes, they are all chiseled. Cardio and weight training is a good way to lose weight and get in shape, but it isn`t the only way.
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    Yoga X is definitely strenous but not super horrible. I usually replace it with Stretch X, because I do my workouts in the mornings and I'd be late to work otherwise!!
  • CurriedGrasshopper
    CurriedGrasshopper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I say do it after your run.. like run in the morning do yoga in the evening.

I know a lot of people hate p90x yoga. But I like it. Sure I wish it wasn't as long, but I feel amazing after doing all of those vinyasas and balance poses, and After only 3 weeks I'm already noticing gains in strength, balance and flexibility so I would say it is a huge asset to the p90x program.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    In my first round, the first two months of P90X I hated it, it took till the 3rd month for me to no longer dread doing it. Then the first month of the second round of P90X I actually started liking it more, and now I love it. I went from very stiff at the start to much more flexible now, although I have a ways to go yet. If you stick with it, and do the whole Yoga X every time it is scheduled, it will pay off in the long run. I am amazed at the improvement.

That said, I wouldn't do it before a heavy cardio workout. I often do some cardio before it though. My suggestion would be to do the run, then try doing the Yoga X afterward, see what happens. If it is a conflict, then re-schedule one or the other...but don't skip Yoga X completely.