Sugar Sugar everywhere...

Options
So, I am usually above my sugar intake for EVERDAY. The thing is, i get almost my daily servings of fruit. The fruit is utlimately what usually puts me over. A lot of times i shrug off the fact ive gone over because its natrual sugar not processed..... but.....what is one to do? Stop eating fruit? Its frustrating to me!

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If it's frustrating to see that column in red, hide it and don't worry about it if you are losing weight.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i raised my sugar & protein percentages on here because i got tired of seeing red on my diary almost daily for fruits & lean means & diary... i also raised my fiber. MFP has really low values on those for some reason.
  • Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    ohhh how do you change those?!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Just remember that sugar is natural, but still causes your insulin to increase, which may make it more difficult to lose weight. Try and pick high fibre options from fruit. Most of your fruit and vegetable servings should be coming from vegetables, not fruit. I tend to have 1 or 2 fruit a day and am really getting close, most days, to keeping it under my sugar goals.

To change your goals though. Go to goals (my home) and click on custom. You can change them there
  • Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    got it! thanks!
  • citizenpioneer
    citizenpioneer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Also keep an eye out for sugar in every single thing you eat. Everything nowadays has sugar packed in somewhere under a variety of different names: high fructose corn syrup, cane juice, dextrose, fructose, etc etc. Sometimes all those things in one product! Make sure sugar isn't in one of the first three ingredients.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hey girl....here is a copy of something I posted yesterday in response to another topic about sugar. Hope it helps!

The sugar in fruits is fructose which is a monosaccharide...the basic foundation of important carbohydrates. Fruits offer an abundance of essential vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants! They are considered a "nutrient dense" food and they SHOULD be a part of your daily diet! Fresh fruits are best! You can't eat all the fruits you want though, it is still important to keep to the proper portion sizes.

When choosing fruits, please be mindful of portion sizes and keep servings to 2 - 3 per day (1 - 2 per day is great!). A few basic thoughts regarding portion sizes are that apples and oranges should be about the size of a tennis ball (stay away from the super sized fruits....they are much more than a portion size), a serving of strawberries or grapes should be about the size of your fist (a cup), a banana should be approximately 5 inches or less, pears about the size of a light bulb.

Berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, cranberries) have lower amounts of fructose than do other fruits. Bananas, pears, and grapes have higher amounts. A portion size of berries is an entire cup! So you get more bang for your buck. MFP does not distinguish between natural sugars and added sugars. Fruits are an essential component to a healthy and balanced diet.

One last tip before I go, always pair your fruits with a source of protein (cheese cubes, peanut butter, nuts) as this keeps your blood sugar more stabilized. :)

Hope this helps!

P.S. Here is an article written by a colleague that you may find helpful and insightful about fruits and carbs. Keep in mind that this is written by a registered dietitian, who is considered the nutrition expert by professionals. It isn't just written by a journalist (something you should always consider when reading information about nutrition). http://www.active.com/women/Articles/Top_10_energy_foods__Carbs_athletes_should_love.htm?cmp=17-7-365
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yea I am having the same prob with fruits, every since I started incorporating smoothies in my diet. But i just changed my MFP sugar intake goal because there natural sugars and I am losing more weight with the smoothies I make everyday