Hypothyroid and still able to loose weight?

Options
Is anyone out there hypothyroid and able to loose weight? Pls help me and give me some advice. I was in Weight Watchers and hit my goal weight right before I began hypothyroid treatment and then the weightloss stopped. I tried for several months but I was not able to loose the last few pounds and eventually I gave up. I slowly gained the weight back and now cannot get the scale to budge. I've tried exercise (P90X), Atkins, back to Weight watchers and nothing has worked. With Atkins, I lost 7 pounds in the first 2 weeks and then, w/o changing my diet, it came back the 3rd week and stuck. I need some advice from someone who has been there.

Replies

• tenniskad2
    Options
    Hey, there well... I'll tell you what I did. I was put on the synthroid for 6 months - and gained 22 lbs, I lost a ton of hair, and really felt no different... so, I stopped taking the medicine, went on Weight Watchers (2 weeks' out of the month I do atkins) my fitness pal says I've lost 21 lbs, but with the weight prior to joining I have lost about 31 lbs- since mid January I feel better and my hair is not falling out anymore. I Could not lose when I was on that medicine.
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yes I am. As long as your thyroid levels are being well controlled you shouldn't have any problems. My dad is actually my endocrinologist and says you can't blame your weight on your hypothyroidism. Have you had it checked lately? Your dosage may need to be adjusted.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    you to go see your doctor so he or she can set up with a diet plan and give you some better idea as to where to start. you need to ask if there are some particular exercises and or a differant food regiment that you need to be following now. weight watchers may not have enough information directed toward your specific condition.
  • mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight when I stopped blaming hypothyroid for my weight. The meds definitely help feeling good, so if you are not on anything see your doctor. I have a bit more energy now but the biggest thing for me has been to commit, count my calories and get some exercise for 30 minutes a day. Bottom line is that weight loss/gain is based on calories in and out. Sure being hypothyroid makes you feel terrible some times and you think "screw it - I cant do this" but if I commit to my plan the pounds come off relatively easy. You can do this - focus on one day at a time, really try to clean up your diet no soda, snacky foods and fast food. Eat as much whole foods as you can - the pounds will come off. Good luck!
  • ivyann73deleted
    Options
    I had a total thyroidectomy over a year ago. I get my bloodwork done every 3-6 months. As long as my levels are where they should be, I stay within my calorie goals, and work out I lose. I would suggest getting your bloodwork done.
  • LaurieKPhoto1972
    Options
    I have been there since I was 13 years old. I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism the summer after my 13 birthday. It was so severe that I had to be given radioactive iodine to kill my thyroid gland. I have been Hypothyroid and on Synthroid ever since. I have had many health problems through the years and it has been very difficult at times.

But to answer you question, YES, you can still lose weight if you are Hypothyroid. The key is to be on the CORRECT dosage of Synthroid. Get yourself tested every 6 months to make sure you are on the correct dose. My dose is extremely high (300 mg) but it's where I need to be and I have lost 35 pounds since January 7th. I am very strict with my calorie counting though.

If you have anymore questions or just want to chat please feel free to friend me. It's not easy dealing with this illness but I have been doing it for 25 years so I know a lot about it. :)

Good luck and God bless!!!
  • kaotik
    kaotik Posts: 5
    Options
    due to hypo are metabolism is super slow.
    i take 600mcg of synthroid a day and still cant get my levels right!
    so ill probably go even higherin a few months. if ya know anything about hypo thats a crazy amount of
    medicine to take!
    so since are metabolism is super slow we need to cut calories big time and excersise even more to
    make up for are hypo!
    my at reast cal intake a day is around 4200 to keep going.
    im on a 2200 cal a day diet! mfp says i should be on a 3200 cal a day diet!
    i have to make up the difference due to hypo!
    get blood work done on a regular basis and get levels right
    and you should have no issues!
    good luck on your journey
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Once you get your thyroid medication sorted out you should find the weight drops off. I have a friend who was always overweight until she found out she had thyroid problems in the late 20s, since then she has been the tiniest person imaginable.
  • bigmamma56
    Options
    I've been on levothyroxine for 3 years now and have managed to lose two and half stone. I am 55 and I put on three stone very quickly before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidsim. I think the replacement thyroid hormone (75mcg a day) has definitely helped me in my battle to lose this excess weight. I was 15 and a half stone at my heaviest and now weigh 13 stone. I have done this by counting calories and increased exercise. I work on the principle that it takes 3,500 of burned calories to lose 1lb in weight. I also work on the principle that I need to lose weight slowly in order to keep it off for the long term so if I lose 2 pounds a month I am happy. I increase my exercise output with brisk walking 30 minutes a day (whatever the weather!) and twice weekly water aerobic classes as this is gentle on the joints and a fantastic work out. No jogging or sweaty gyms for me! I joined fitness pal to help keep me motivated and keep a record of what I am eating as it is so easy to lose track of how many calories I am consuming. If I have too many one day I ease off the next so it balances itself out one way or another. I am aiming to lose another stone to get my BMI safely within the normal range for my height and to ward off any threat of getting diabetes. So don't panic.....it is possible to get the weight off if your thyroid is out of sync.. Patience, motivation and self discipline is the order of the day.....Good luck!
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    Hi, i dont medicate anymore, it makes me feel awfull, but doctors have said this is fine for me, the only way i lose weight is a severely low fat diet, under 30g a day, this with calorie counting works for me, good luck
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have untreated Hashimoto's and yes, it is definitely very slow, very frustrating and difficult to lose weight. It can be done, but you have to have a LOT of patience and be committed so you don't give up, because the pounds come back on 5x faster than they come off. I have heard so many mixed responses as to whether being on medication actually helps or hinders weight loss for those with Hypothyroidism...but the right dosage will definitely help with other symptoms and help you feel better (my mom & sister have it too & are on medication).

My dad is actually my endocrinologist and says you can't blame your weight on your hypothyroidism.

Wow. I'd love to have his name so that when I CAN afford health insurance I make sure to avoid him like the plague :)
    That just infuriates me. I don't really blame my weight on my disease, (that's also partially the result of damaging my metabolism by years of crash dieting and super low calorie eating) but I definitely DO blame it for making it miserably difficult to try to lose it no matter what I do. I'm sure there are those that are hypo that have major overeating issues or food addictions, but not all of us do. I've heard of doctors like this who tell their thyroid patients that they just need to eat less and exercise more..."don't blame your thyroid". UGH. Ignorant. It's taken me 5 years to lose 60 lbs and when I gave up after a 3 month plateau more than 2 years ago, I gained almost 40 lbs in less than 3 mos just by not tracking my calories/points and dropping my exercise from 6 days a week to 1. No fast food, no major pigfests, just eating larger than "measured" helpings of what the rest of my skinny family was eating and not keeping track. Quantity-wise, I was eating probably half of what I'm eating now.

My apologies to the OP :) Sorry for the rant. You CAN do this if you are determined and want it bad enough. You don't say if you are on medication or not. It does help some people a bit with the weight loss...it's worth a try. Other than that, it is possible to lose with absolute persistence and patience! And it beats the alternative...gaining! Good luck!!
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's disease - and my thryoid is very low. I suspect I have been hypothyroid for my entire life but never thought about getting tested until I was 23 (at the recommendation of a coworker). I have been off and on Synthroid/Levothyroxine since as the medication alone hasn't appeared to "fix" anything. Over the last 13 years, knowing I have this condition, not a day has passed that I don't think of my weight and the impact of the foods that I eat.

I have lost weight. It's 10 times harder for people like us to lose it, but it is possible. In 1999 -2000, I lost 40 pounds by extreme Atkins. I'm talking induction phase lasting 5 months. I gained the weight back plus a little more. In 2006-2007, I lost another 40 pounds with Atkins over 6 months but managed to maintain my weight for longer. Over the last two years, however, I have gained 20 back and this is what I'm currently working on.

I've been off and on Synthroid and Levothyroxine but decided in January to get myself straight. I went to an endocrinologist who discovered that my TSH was 60 and I am vitamin D and calcium deficient. I joined the gym right after the new year and began working out everyday. Initially I gained 8 pounds from exercising but after I got on 75mcg of Synthroid, began taking 1000 IU of Vitamin D and 250mg of Calcium a day, I've managed to lose 5 pounds. I joined myfitnesspal three weeks ago and have lost another 3 pounds. So, I'm down the 8 that I gained in the first three weeks of January.

I know the weight loss will be slow. I am used to losing weight quickly but gaining it back just as fast. But for the first time in my life, I am counting calories and consuming no more than 1200. I like the idea of "buying" calories by working out although I try to use them. We'll see how this goes. So far, so good. Good luck to you - keep your chin up. If you haven't seen an endocrinologist, you should. It could be a cortisol or Vitamin D issue as well as the thryoid. It's much harder for us and a lot of people just don't understand.
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes I am. As long as your thyroid levels are being well controlled you shouldn't have any problems. My dad is actually my endocrinologist and says you can't blame your weight on your hypothyroidism. Have you had it checked lately? Your dosage may need to be adjusted.

Really???? What kind of endocrinologist is he???
  • Just1forMe
    Options
    Some helpful information I have very recently come across that I'd not heard before:

Foods to Avoid In Hypothyroidism
    It is important to comply with a healthy diet so hypothyroidism can be avoided. Here are some of the foods you should avoid if you have the disease:
    Broccoli, mustard greens, soybeans, kale, cassava root, cabbage, turnips, peanuts, millet and pine nuts. The body’s ability to use iodine is disrupted because of these food choices. But if these foods are cooked, their goitrogenic element is offset. You can still eat these foods in minimal amounts so you won’t develop problems from your hypothyroid condition. Brussels sprouts, spinach, pears, peaches and strawberries should also be taken in minimal amounts to avoid problems. Refined foods, as well as the processed ones should also be avoided.
    Chlorine found in water, as well as fluoride, should be avoided. They both block the iodine chemical receptors in your body and can therefore cause detrimental changes to your health.
    Garlic can also reduce iodine uptake. It should be taken in small amounts to avoid aggravating your hypothyroid state.

Foods That Help In Hypothyroidism
    There are plenty of food choices which can help the hypothyroid state. Here are some examples:
    Grains, seaweeds, vegetables, herbs, sprouts, micro algae, spices, omega-3 foods, and legumes. Cooked veggies are also preferred over raw ones. Goitrogens are eliminated in number if the vegetables are cooked before eaten.
    Including the following in your diet may also help your condition: distilled water, raw cheese and milk, chicken and fish, apricots, prunes, dates, parsley and egg yolks.
  • justahorsen
    justahorsen Posts: 234
    Options
    i was on Synthroid and it was hell....I gained weight and my hair and nails were a mess....I am now on Armour (dessicated..sp?) thyroid and doing better. I thought I was okay so I went back on the Synthroid and gained weight again, my hair fell out in handfuls and my nails were cracking and breaking again......keep your blood levels checked, and educate yourself about the different meds that are out there....not everyone can tolerate Synthrod......Drs will put you on what works for a majority (or the one that he likes the salesperson the best) and there are others out there that may work better for YOU!!!!
  • Just1forMe
    Options
    i was on Synthroid and it was hell....I gained weight and my hair and nails were a mess....I am now on Armour (dessicated..sp?) thyroid and doing better.

I've heard this a lot. Lots of great information on this site:
    www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can.
    I lost 70 pounds beginning almost five years ago. I have been on generic Synthroid for nearly 10 years. I never had the issues with my hair falling out, but I was cold all the time, and my skin was extremely dry. The doctor does bloodwork once a year to keep an eye on the levels in my blood.
    I lost my weight by watching my carb intake (225 grams or less a day was my goal), keeping a food diary, and walking, walking, walking......did I say walking?:wink:
    I did gain 20 back, have lost 10 of that, and would like to lose 5 more.....but in all honesty, any time the scale reads below 140, I am good with it.
    Kaye
  • rrshaffer1
    Options
    I am on medication but haven't had my levels checked in a while. I do have dry nails and skin, maybe that's a hint that I need a blood test.

I was at goal weight on weight watchers when I began to be treated for hypo and immediately after that it became a struggle. Before treatment the weight came off easily. I got so frustrated that I quit WW and gained my 25 lbs back. I've been struggling for a year to loose any weight at all. It seems as if I loose and then gain it back almost immediately.

I was reading something on the internet about leptin in the blood controlling the amount of fats stored in the body and signaling the pituitary to store more and that people with hypo have problems with that.... or something like that. This site also suggested a TSH tissue test versus blood test. I'm going to ask doc about that.

After hearing these responses, I'll go get checked to see if I need to increase the dose.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Wow. I'd love to have his name so that when I CAN afford health insurance I make sure to avoid him like the plague :)
    That just infuriates me. I don't really blame my weight on my disease, (that's also partially the result of damaging my metabolism by years of crash dieting and super low calorie eating) but I definitely DO blame it for making it miserably difficult to try to lose it no matter what I do. I'm sure there are those that are hypo that have major overeating issues or food addictions, but not all of us do. I've heard of doctors like this who tell their thyroid patients that they just need to eat less and exercise more..."don't blame your thyroid". UGH. Ignorant. It's taken me 5 years to lose 60 lbs and when I gave up after a 3 month plateau more than 2 years ago, I gained almost 40 lbs in less than 3 mos just by not tracking my calories/points and dropping my exercise from 6 days a week to 1. No fast food, no major pigfests, just eating larger than "measured" helpings of what the rest of my skinny family was eating and not keeping track. Quantity-wise, I was eating probably half of what I'm eating now.

My apologies to the OP :) Sorry for the rant. You CAN do this if you are determined and want it bad enough. You don't say if you are on medication or not. It does help some people a bit with the weight loss...it's worth a try. Other than that, it is possible to lose with absolute persistence and patience! And it beats the alternative...gaining! Good luck!!
    [/quote]

You are so right! Before I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis I went on a diet with my then husband. We both reduced our calories, portions, and fat. He did not exercise at all but I walked every single night for 3 weeks straight. He even drank beer, and I drank some diet soda and water. When weigh in came, he lost about 18 pounds.. and I gained 3!!! I cried for 2 days. Trying so hard, counting calories, and exercising. I was not able to start losing weight until a few years later after being diagnosed and then undergoing trial and error to manage my medication.

I don't blame my thyroid on ALL my weight gain, but I do blame it for making it so difficult to lose weight and so easy to gain!!!
  • fitmomforu
    fitmomforu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have the same thyroid issue and yes it can drive a women crazy. I understand it's hard, but is possible. Right now I feel amazing when I'm working out and maybe weight isn't dropping but inches sure are. Keep your head up and keep going.