exercises to do when you're injured

Options
::Sigh::

I had a huge argument with my mother(yeah, I know, I'm not 16 anymore, but she really pissed me off), and took the anger off by exercising, and the way my bad knee is feeling, I did way too much. The knee is weak today. . .I injured it back in September, it was a bad sprain and a ruptured baker's cyst

So, I know I need to lay off the exercise, at least those involving my knee, for awhile. the knee brace is on(need to get a better one), and the tennies are on. Thankfully my activities this weekend doesnt' involve a lot of walking. Hopefully it won't give me much problem driving tho.

Is there exercises I can do that don't involve bouncing around on that knee? This is so frustrating, as I was so enjoying jogging.

help?

Replies

• louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Swimming? At least you're supported in the water.
  • twentytwobecky
    twentytwobecky Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for cardio or strength exercises? I've just been through 4 weeks of phys therapy for my knee. I know how you feel.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest swimming too. Also, upper body workouts. They have many out there that are designed for people that need cardio but are limited. Check 'em out online maybe?

Feel better soon!! I HATE knee pain.....
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    I would second swimming and maybe suggest biking. When my calf and thigh were hurting a few weeks back I did ten miles on my bike with no problem. It might be good for your knee too - and surprisingly enough bike riding burns more calories than I would expect.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for cardio or strength exercises? I've just been through 4 weeks of phys therapy for my knee. I know how you feel.

either would work!

I don't know how to swim LOL sad to say
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    I would second swimming and maybe suggest biking. When my calf and thigh were hurting a few weeks back I did ten miles on my bike with no problem. It might be good for your knee too - and surprisingly enough bike riding burns more calories than I would expect.

I can do that, tho it's not as fun as jogging(stationary bike LOL).

i never thought I'd say I enjoy jogging LOL
  • twentytwobecky
    twentytwobecky Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The most important thing to remember (says my phys therapist) if it hurts when you're doing something, STOP!!! You will only set yourself further back if you're hurting-- listen to your body- pain is your body's way of saying stop you idiot, you're hurting me! The same goes for swelling.
    Try riding a bike on a low level of resistance. If it hurts to bend your knee, elevate the seat so that your knee doesn't bend as much.
    Elliptical, again, low resistance.
    For leg strength you can do mini squats or butt ups. Let me know if you need explainations for these.
    Also really important is strengthening your ligaments and tendons around your knee. Sit on the floor, bend your good leg, raise your bad leg concentrating on using your quads and tendons, raise your leg only a couple of inches, then bring it back down. Do these slowly and only bring it up a couple of inches. If you lift it higher, it's too easy. If you can do sixty of these in a row, and an ankle weight.
    Another one, Do the same as above but lift your leg up and out at the same time.
    Hope this helps!!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I had a full tear of my MCL back in July of 2009. I had 18 weeks in a brace for recovery. The ONLY thing I was allowed to do was ride a bike. Swimming can actually damage the knee depending on the injury, as it can 'flop' around in the water uncontrolled.
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    The most important thing to remember (says my phys therapist) if it hurts when you're doing something, STOP!!! You will only set yourself further back if you're hurting-- listen to your body- pain is your body's way of saying stop you idiot, you're hurting me! The same goes for swelling.
    Try riding a bike on a low level of resistance. If it hurts to bend your knee, elevate the seat so that your knee doesn't bend as much.
    Elliptical, again, low resistance.
    For leg strength you can do mini squats or butt ups. Let me know if you need explainations for these.
    Also really important is strengthening your ligaments and tendons around your knee. Sit on the floor, bend your good leg, raise your bad leg concentrating on using your quads and tendons, raise your leg only a couple of inches, then bring it back down. Do these slowly and only bring it up a couple of inches. If you lift it higher, it's too easy. If you can do sixty of these in a row, and an ankle weight.
    Another one, Do the same as above but lift your leg up and out at the same time.
    Hope this helps!!

never heard of butt ups, but THANKS!!!!!!!!