C25K Group

Options
This coming Monday, it's time to start running! I have never ever been a runner or a jogger of any sort. I've never been able to run a mile without stopping. Time to change that!!! A few of my friends and I are going to challenge each other to completing the 9 weeks of Couch to 5K. If you are serious about completing it, we encourage you to join us!!

To start off the challenge, by Monday, 3/28/11, time yourself how long it takes you to run a mile. Then over the course of the week complete Week One of C25K. Each Monday will start a new week of C25K. By Sunday, post your BMI's and/or weight on this forum. And finally once we have completed the 9 week program we will be running a mile again to see our NEW AND IMPROVED TIME!!

Feel free to add your own mini challenge's each week, like burning so many calories a week, drinking more water, reducing your intake of sodium, sugar, etc. And post how you do on those challenges. It will be a great way for us to keep each other motivated!

Goodluck and happy running :happy:

Replies

• sas16
    sas16 Posts: 610
    Options
    This is perfect. I wanted to start the program next week. I signed up for the Warrior Dash (it's in June) and I've NEVER done any running ever. So I was going to start the C25K to train and build up my stamina...work myself up to 4 miles. I'll have to get out and try to run that 1st mile to post for Monday.
  • JustJenn419
    JustJenn419 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Is the C25K a program of some kind? Where do I find more information?
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    i started c25k 2 days ago and did not do the first mile test. i started this because i am not a runner so why would i want to run a mile first...lol. than said i have done this the last 2 days and skiped to week 2. i will try to post here but good luck to you all
  • Lindz8afish
    Lindz8afish Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Is the C25K a program of some kind? Where do I find more information?

It is a jogging/running program that gets you able to run a 5k in 9 weeks (or so they say :) This is the website with information on it: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

If you have an iPhone or a Droid phone I know they have an app that keeps track of time for you on it.
  • Lindz8afish
    Options
    i started c25k 2 days ago and did not do the first mile test. i started this because i am not a runner so why would i want to run a mile first...lol. than said i have done this the last 2 days and skiped to week 2. i will try to post here but good luck to you all

My friends and I decided to do a mile first so we can see how we've improved over the course of the 9 weeks. I guess it's more motivation to get a better time! :bigsmile:
  • Ccw675
    Ccw675 Posts: 6
    Options
    I completed C25k back in December. I'm about to run my first 10k on Saturday and I'm so scared! I'm totally unprepared! LOL I'll be walking A LOT!!!
    But c25k is totally awesome! Week 4 sucks so anyone who is on it, just do your best and it will make week 5 that much easier!
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    i am keeping track of the first 2 miles as of now i can do it in 25.25 min i walk at 3.5 to 4 mph and run at 6.5 to 7 mph yes i do it on a treadmill
  • hdee29
    hdee29 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love C25k!! I do it every spring and then run 5k's through the summer. I am currently on Week 4, can I still join you? By the way, this year I downloaded free podcasts from itunes that include music and a guy telling you when to start and stop. LOVE IT! Search Robert Ullrey (sp?).
  • AMBrody
    AMBrody Posts: 25
    Options
    I loved C25K! It got me running a 5k in a short amount of time. Be sure to STRETCH after each run to keep the muscles loosened up. I am going to start the Bridge to 10k app on April 1st.
  • SarahSway
    SarahSway Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This is going to be a tough 9 weeks! I've never been a runner either. Does anyone have any advice or tips before we start this? :smile:
  • Lindz8afish
    Options
    I love C25k!! I do it every spring and then run 5k's through the summer. I am currently on Week 4, can I still join you? By the way, this year I downloaded free podcasts from itunes that include music and a guy telling you when to start and stop. LOVE IT! Search Robert Ullrey (sp?).

Yes! Feel free to join in!! I haven't ever done any running, so my first mile is going to be horrible!! But I'm looking forward to the challenge. :smile:
    Thanks for the podcast info too!
  • thexica124
    thexica124 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    WOOP! I will try to do my mile run on Sunday Lindsay! Super excited to do this!
  • Lindz8afish
    Options
    WOOP! I will try to do my mile run on Sunday Lindsay! Super excited to do this!

I will be doing my mile run Sunday too!! :happy:
  • sas16
    Options
    Had to do my mile on the treadmill. I know I won't be able to do a run outside today and tomorrow is my rest day. Anyway, did a 14 min mile. Looking forward to seeing how I improve.
  • Lindz8afish
    Options
    Week One - 3/27/11 - BMI of 29.2
    - Walked a 15 min mile. I'm sick, so the rest of the day is resting up and drinking a ton of fluids along with my son (who is also sick)

My Mini Goals this week:
    1. GET UNSICK!!
    2. Drink 12 cups, or about 100oz of water daily.
    3. Be under calories the WHOLE WEEK!

Goodluck on Week 1 everyone!!
  • hdee29
    hdee29 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Are we posting on this thread or is there a new one?
  • sas16
    Options
    Did day 1 yesterday. My quads are a little sore, but not too bad.
  • JustJenn419
    JustJenn419 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I need to start my week 1 next week. I looked up the C25K plan and turned it into an Excel spreadsheet so that I can track my times and distance for each workout. If anyone wants me to send it to them, let me know :)

I registered for my first 5k and I'm freaking out. It's in 11 weeks (I know the C25K is a nine week plan but I'm still worried).

If anyone is in the NY/NJ area I am going to be running the GWB on June 12th. Maybe we could start a MFP team :)
  • Lindz8afish
    Options
    Are we posting on this thread or is there a new one?

Posting on this one! Sorry, I'm getting over a cold so I've had to put my C25K on hold. Hoping to start it on the weekend though :) Looking forward to seeing all of your results!!
  • SarahSway
    SarahSway Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Day 1 was yesterday and went alot better than I thought it would!! I'm just going to have my days be W, F, Su.

I actually really enjoyed it already. I cant wait for it to get warmer outside so I can get my dog trained to run next to me. She'd love it. :-)