Exercise Question...

Options
I don't know if I am posting this in the right category. If not please forgive me.

Here's the thing. I am pretty shy when it comes to working out. So I work out in my home with DVD's. My question is: I normally do more than one DVD at a time, each one has a warm up and a cool down. Is it safe or okay to raise your heart rate, lower it and then raise it again during another DVD? I know it's probably a stupid question but I have always wondered about this. I don't want to be hurting my body if it's not. Thanks ahead of time!

Replies

• ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    I would say you are totally fine!! i also love to use DVD's!! love Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper!!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    How about skipping the cool down on the first DVD and keep going?
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    the warm ups and cool downs are great cuz they are more gradual. Skipping them all together is what you want to avoid meaning jumping right into the exercises and then skipping the cool down and sitting on the couch.
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You want to raise your heart rate, the higher it is the more you burn...you can work it up, work it out the work it back up again. Make sense. I wouldnt do a cool down on 1 dvd then move to the next. skip the cool down.

We do circuit training at the gym with a trainer and its all about keeping your heart rate up.
  • jrlitt76
    jrlitt76 Posts: 52
    Options
    its the same as interval training where you raise and lower your HR, so I wouldnt think its an issue, if anything you are going to see better results. Good Job!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do several back to back, I'd do the warmup on the first DVD, then skip the cooldown AND the warmup on the next. Just do the cooldown on the last DVD.

So basically, you're only doing one warmup and one cooldown, no matter how many DVDs you use.
  • herbalgirl011
    Options
    I think this depends on what type of exercises you are doing. You want to keep your heart rate up....but safely :0)
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're hurting yourself but I don't usually do the cool down if I am going to do another but wait to do the cool down when I am done. I may spend a little more time stretching than the cool down in my last workout. Hope this makes sence.