Hot yoga

Options
Ok so I have been doing hot yoga for almost 2 weeks, I feel like I have hit a plateau...I burn around 1000 calories..it is really hard to eat all those calories..I am wondering if that is the problem..I know i am supposed to eat my exercise calories,but it is hard to eat 1000 more...my next thought maybe start doing more cardio again..but then I need to add another 300 cal to the 1000 from yoga...I cant imagine that I am already reaching a plateau when i have another 60 to lose...HELP!!

sw 252
cw 221
gw 160

Replies

• mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hot yoga burns 1000 calories??!! Wow, I think I should try this!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it burns 1000? I do hot yoga too and love it but I think the estimates that its burns 1000 can be a little dramatic. I counts it for around 700-800 calories. Just my two cents!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Are you using a heart rate monitor?
  • Mark1968
    Mark1968 Posts: 21
    Options
    Are you sure you are burning 1000 calories doing hot yoga that seems high?
  • GrandamaDonna
    Options
    I'm thinking 1000 calories a bit much.... hence the plateau. I would count it as at least 200 less... and your plateau may disappear. I find you have to judge how you feel after exercising combined with the 'numbers' to get a true calorie count.
  • AMBrody
    AMBrody Posts: 25
    Options
    Try drinking more, especially after doing hot yoga! You can get more calories drinking Gatorade or other sport drinks. You do not want to get dehydrated, so be sure to drink water as well. Good luck!!
  • Jamiemielke
    Jamiemielke Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Because of my weight I think it is possible...my girlfriend wore a monitor and she burned 850 cal..and she is 135 pounds.. I weigh 85 pounds more than me...so I am guessing it at least 1000... If you have never done it. You have no idea how much you sweat..it pretty intense.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Kudos for sticking with the hot yoga - it is a tough workout due to that incredible heat. You sweat and lose a lot of water weight in these classes. Agree though that the calorie burn is likely overstated. An hour might be closer to 300-500 calories actually depending on the intensity of the routine. Don't overlook the tendency to overestimate intensity because of the amount of sweat generated just being in a 108 degree room. You probably have a good handle on how intense the actual workout is so good luck with your program! Sheesh I tried this once and thought the heat was totally brutal. :blushing:
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Be careful... sweating doesn't necessarily mean you're burning calories - it's just your body cooling itself. I weigh 155lbs, and a high-intensity 10k run (an hour long) would only burn 650-700 calories... be careful with overestimating an activity like yoga! :smile:
  • Jamiemielke
    Options
    Have you done Bikram yoga?
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    It can take a few weeks for your body to adjust to a new, intense routine. In the mean time it will hold on to fat and water reserves as best it can. I've started P90X and am having the same problem, but, from what I've read, most people dont see results till week 5!!

Keep with it, when your body realises you're not killing it, then it will let go!

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • NerdHerd99
    Options
    Hey Sis-

I knew it would be a good idea to post on here-

I would mix up the cardio with the Yoga, and see if that helps.

Like I said people do Plateau and then it's time to mix it up!

Love ya-
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Because of my weight I think it is possible...my girlfriend wore a monitor and she burned 850 cal..and she is 135 pounds.. I weigh 85 pounds more than me...so I am guessing it at least 1000... If you have never done it. You have no idea how much you sweat..it pretty intense.

You may be right, but just be careful comparing your burn to someone else's. There are many things that factor into it, not just the size. The intensity and what you exert plays a huge role in your cals burned. I can do the same workout two days in a row and the the calorie difference can be pretty big - just simply on how hard I'm working.

Like I said - you could very well be right - just be careful. If you estimate 200 cals less in your burn, you might notice a difference - and that is a very easy change to make to see if you can get past the plateau.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've done hot yoga, and just because you are sweating profusely doesn't mean you are burning tons of calories. Heck, if that was the case, I'll go outside in the summer and sweat myself thin - I wish it was that easy.....
  • gini2407
    gini2407 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've done hot yoga, and when I went they did actually say you can burn about 1000 calories. You don't realize how hard your heart it pumping when you're doing it. It's definitely intense!!!
  • Jamiemielke
    Options
    Finally!! Someone who agrees with me, people think yoga is so easy...its not.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. People don't understand that hot yoga is one of the most difficult and thorough work outs you can do. However, STILL beware of overcounting calories you burn. I would definitely not eat 1000 back.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Finally!! Someone who agrees with me, people think yoga is so easy...its not.

No one's saying it's easy - we're saying that it's not necessarily likely you're burning 1000+ calories in an hour. Sweating doesn't mean you're working hard. Thats all :smile:
  • Jamiemielke
    Options
    I found this site that calculates calories burn based on weight for yoga:smile:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/Calories-Burned-Yoga.htm