Shin Splints

Options
JennS19
JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
So my husband has started to get into running in the past few weeks, and like his normal self, went at it full till without easing into running fast for long periods of time :grumble: .

He also didn't have the proper running shoes and now his feet and shins are suffering because of it. (I'm making him go to the store today and pick up running shoes before he's allowed back on the treadmill :noway: ).

My question is, any good ways to help with shin splints? He has started geting them and they are painful for him. I haven't had them in year since I was in H.S and I can't remember besides massaging them ways to help them start healing.

Thanks!

Replies

• chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I ran competitively in high school and had a lot problems with shin splints. First, take care of them. Shin splints can be very difficult to heal once the problem is full blown so don't let it get there! Ice them and take some advil. Suggest he take at least a week off of running. Use the elliptical, stationary bike, whatever. Then ease back into it and pay attention to mileage per week. If he continues to have problems he needs to limit high impact activties. For instance I only run at most twice a week because its so hard on the shins and joints.
  • fantm
    fantm Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ice them for 10 min at a time, for at least 3 hours (3x in 3 hours). Rest is also good, as well as properly fitting running shoes. There are some exercises and stretches he can do - here's one site: http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0161-shin-splints-treatment.htm
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    YES, go to a GOOD sports store and have him fitted correctly! Also New Balance has some great sneakers for this and Brooks.

My husband was in the Fire academy and got them! He obviously couldn't stop the running. We had him fitted at a specialty shop, his running shoes are a full size larger than his normal everyday shoe! They suggested a specific pair of NB sneakers for him and they did the trick right away!!!

Don't go to a mall store ie: foot locker etc. they aren't trained for these things, those are mostly fashion sneakers.

Good luck!!
  • MrMayhew
    MrMayhew Posts: 2
    Options
    Try putting a towle on the the floor and using your toes to crush it into a ball. You can also trace the alpabet with your toes, weird but it works. Don't forget to ice! I had a problem with this a few weeks ago due to long distance running everyday. Good shoes is a must also. Happy running!
  • KileyPowers
    Options
    haha well he can strengthen the muscles that run down the front and back of his calves: 1) tap toes on the floor 20reps x 3sets. Its key to keep his heel on the ground. 2) laying on his back work on controlled ankle cycles- i try writing my full name in the air with my foot on both legs. And obviously just like any new workout program, tell him to start slow! there are great running programs online ( free ) that are perfect for training for a 5k ( or even less! ) Good Luck : ) hope this helps
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Just finished dealing with shin splints.

Ice the shins after workouts, tape the shins before workouts (google shin splint taping - lots of how-to videos), stretch calves, massage. I also took two tennis balls, stuffed them into a tube sock and tightly knotted the end. I roll my calves over the tennis balls (with the achilles tendon in the groove between the two tb's and roll up the calves). Once the pain/inflamation subsided a lot, I also roll gently over the shins. He may have to lower or eliminate impact aerobics for a while (I just reduced intensity as it didn't actually hurt to run once I replaced my shoes). My physio said I was okay to run low miles as long as it didn't hurt during running (they were sore to the touch for weeks until it finally resolved).

The most important thing is to figure out the cause. For me: needed new shoes and eliminated an orthotic that was too much correction for me (made me supinate).

Hope it helps.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with these and find stretching is the best therapy. Stand on a step and dip the heals down, or step forward on a flat and ease the back heal down toward the floor. Do it often, gently, and ease into more intensity. Ice frequently. And I found that wrapping the shins was helpful for the pain while doing ordinary activity and seemed to speed the healing.

For those of us prone to shin splints the preventive is to not do too much too fast. Don't increase mileage more than 10% a week and back off on miles every several weeks or so. Also adding walk/stretch breaks into a run helps.

Stretching is going to be essential forever once healed to keep the shin splints at bay. Good luck to all the new runners out there.