My first big NSV!

Options
Jenni268
Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
Hey everyone! I thought I'd take a second to share what has been my biggest NSV so far! I've only been on here since Feb. but I'm already seeing a lot of little differences. I've lost roughly 6 pounds, my clothes are looser and I just generally feel better.

But the thing I noticed the most happened the other day. My husband had a four-day weekend so we decided to take the kids to the Zoo. We had a wonderful time looking at all the animals, even though it was stinking hot out! When we got back to the car I told my husband that it was fun, but I was disappointed that we went through it so quickly. Only then did I realize that we'd actually been there for 2 1/2 hours. It honestly felt like to me that we'd not even been there 1 hour. This is HUGE for me!

Normally, especially on a hot day, after 30 minutes I would've been MISERABLE! I would've been hot and sweaty and grumpy and, above all, TIRED!!!!!!! One of the BIGGEST reasons that I wanted to get into a healthier lifestyle was so I could have more fun with my kids and I am SO excited that this is already happening. It was nice to be able to keep up with them, not be a drag, not need to sit down and rest and just be a "fun mom" for once!

I even carried my daughter on my shoulders for part of the trip!!! And this is why I keep trying to remind myself that I'm trying to be "healthy" and not "skinny." YAY!!!!!!!

Replies

• jessicavsjessica
    Options
    that is awesome! well done! :o)
  • ktalley11
    Options
    Yay for you!!!!!! That is so great that you were able to go and enjoy your family while feeling good and burning some calories at the same time!!! Yep, we are trying to be "healthy" not skinny!!! So proud of you!
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    That's great! Congrats...it's good to celebrate every victory on the journey. :flowerforyou:
  • jjr123
    jjr123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    I love NSVs like this!!
  • steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Options
    That's wonderful! I also want to be able to do things like that for my kids. I am hoping that our plans for the summer will show me how much healthier i am feeling.
  • Colie912
    Colie912 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That is so great!!! I got goosebumps reading it! So happy for you! :)
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Oh can totally relate, isn't it just the best feeling!
    We were in London last week and normally I let the husband push the buggy (two toddlers, one sitting and one on the buggyboard behind it, so a good bit of weight on it), but this time I pushed myself - and at a fast pace as well.
    We even ended up going the wrong direction and walked for about 40 minutes, only to come back at the same spot as where we started. If this would have happened a year ago, I'd be very, very cross, but this time I realised I had enjoyed the walk anyway, so who cares!
  • Jenni268
    Options
    OH! ! ! ! ! And I'm also excited because I did *3* real push-ups yesterday!!! It's not a big number, but it's bigger than ZERO!!! :) Plus, that's how many women have to do to get into the Army! :)

PS - I am NOT enlisting, but my husband is active duty Army so I kinda try to do some of the things that he has to do!!! :)
  • michelegbowman
    Options
    YOu got my vote for BEST NSV!
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Thank you for posting your inspirational story here! ^5 way to go!!
  • Jenni268
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the encouragement! The best part is being able to see progress that is separate from the number on the scale! That number has held me back for SO long and it's nice to really be able to break free from it!
  • JennyG73
    JennyG73 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and keep up the good work! These are the best victories- it's great to realize that something you couldn't do, or struggled doing become easy without even thinking about it. It shows that you are on the right track and are keeping a positive attitude! Good for you!!
  • keegrsmom
    keegrsmom Posts: 27
    Options
    Great job! Exercising and eating right changes your life, not just your weight. That's wonderful - keep working hard. Thanks for sharing your NSV!
  • WinKitty
    WinKitty Posts: 119
    Options
    NSV?

I'm new.
  • lauraheagy
    Options
    I just started working out, eating healthier and using myfitnesspal this week, and it is such an encouragement to read your entry. I, too, want to have more stamina and not be the one person in my family that holds everybody else back. Thanks so much for sharing your story!
  • Jenni268
    Options
    NSV?

I'm new.

No worries!! :) It took me about a month to figure out what it meant! :) It stands for "Non-Scale Victories." NSVs and before and after pics are my greatest source of encouragement on here! Since everyone loses weight at a different rate I tend to get bummed when I read that somewhere has been on here for two weeks and lost 16 pounds (example only) since I've been on for almost two months and only lost 6. But some of the greatest improvements I have seen have been away from that dreaded scale!

Welcome to MFP, by the way! :) I hope it works for you as well as it has for me!!!
  • WinKitty
    WinKitty Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks Jenni!
  • CollegeGirl19
    Options
    So happy for you! Any victory is a big victory. :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!