Women and Strength Training

pftjill
pftjill Posts: 488
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
Women, do you strength train and if you don't-why don't you? Please let me know, maybe I can change your mind on that opinion.

Replies

• Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    YES! I LOVE It!!!! I love it so much more than cardio!!! It just makes me feel strong and that makes me feel sexy! I'm starting to get some nice definition in my arms and calves, too. My husband has noticed, and that helps my self-esteem SO much!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    I love pumping iron! It makes me strong enough for when tasks require it like lifting furniture or carrying multiple bags of groceries. When I slacked off for a few years I started getting strains, aches and pains. I thought it was old age. I got back into it and they are almost gone! Even my arthritis in my shoulder is not as bad!
  • kerryannk
    kerryannk Posts: 148
    i have since ive taken on jillian michaels 30 day shred, but I'm worried about how to incorporate it into my gym routine. i just think it would be hard to do by myself.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Yes and love it!
  • Aloxander
    Aloxander Posts: 121 Member
    I want to! Maybe I don't know how or am confused when I go to the gym and see so many machines I don't know where to start.:grumble:

What is the best way to do this? And how should I get started. Heeeeeeeelp :ohwell:
  • skinnylizzard
    YES! I LOVE It!!!! I love it so much more than cardio!!! It just makes me feel strong and that makes me feel sexy! I'm starting to get some nice definition in my arms and calves, too. My husband has noticed, and that helps my self-esteem SO much!
    When my boyfriend and I got together he wanted me to stop because he didn't want me muscley, boy was that a mistake. We've been together 10 years and I'm now realizing that, so I started up again, I feel so good! If he doesn't like it, TOO DAMN BAD!! This is what is good foe ME!!!
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Yes! I do! I am getting ready to up the amount of weight I lift too! I want to start seeing some definition! :sad:
  • skinnylizzard
    I want to! Maybe I don't know how or am confused when I go to the gym and see so many machines I don't know where to start.:grumble:

What is the best way to do this? And how should I get started. Heeeeeeeelp :ohwell:
    Depending on the gym you go to, the staff should be fully qualified and available to show you some things. That's what they are getting pain for. They wouldn't want you to use them wrong and get injured! Plus, then you don't have to pay for a pewrsonal trainer. Or you could just observe what others are doing and try to copy (inconspicuously, of course!)
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Love weight training!!! Like everyone said, it makes you feel strong, you can see the definition in your muscles - and you just feel better!!!
  • I've just started and wont have access to a gym. All home based, hikes, 30 day shred, walks is my main focus now. Any pointers for at home? I refuse to buy gym equip.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    I haven't too much lately, because I have a pinched nerve in my neck that's aggravated by upper body work. But OH MY GOODNESS! Does strength training ever feel good. And it is SO good for you--your muscle mass, your bones. By all means do it!
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    I do and I love it also.. My arms are becoming more defined and looking toned. Still waiting to see the definition show in my thighs. I am muscular anyway, but weight training really tones me up nicely...
  • Noz7
    Noz7 Posts: 59 Member
    I don't mind the gym but once I've been going there for a while, I get bored.
    I rely on gardening for any resistance type exercise...
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member

I invested in ONE round with a trainer to get some moves. I'd do those for a while and then when I felt it was time to move on, I'd do it again. At they gym I went to, the guy in charge of training HATED the machines. I don't know if this is a universal thought or just his, but he wouldn't let me use them. It was all free weights and bands. I guess I did use a couple of the machines, but not the ones I had been using most of my life. The machines he put me on where the ones that they bodybuilders where using. I'm glad I got the session, because it really showed me what I could be doing!

That being said, I haven't gone to a gym in a while. We relocated halfway across the US and I just haven't gotten back into a gym. Instead, I am doing the JM 30 Day shred, which involves weights. But I also supplement with P90X videos. I LOVE the Arms and Shoulders one. It's all free-weights and it's completely awesome!!!
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Yes, and I much prefer it over that cardio crap..lol
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    I definately do... Muscles are the best fitness "tool" a person has.

I use free weights, resistance bands, and body weight exercises.
  • Aloxander
    Aloxander Posts: 121 Member
    Thanks! I just bought the INSANITY program and maybe this will help me tone somewhat with my own weigth resistance. My 10-month old son drives me nuts he tries to jump around me. Funny but I have to get on track. My 9 year old daughter gets motivated and starts excercising with me.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    I love lifting! Way more than cardio!! lol
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    I love it! Circuit training is my fav because you keep your heart rate high while you are doing weight training and you get the best of both worlds - cardio & weight training!

Since I've started weight training consistently for the past 8 weeks I have noticed such a HUGE difference in my energy levels, the way my body looks, the way my clothes fit & I just feel stronger than I ever have! It's a great feeling!

=)

:flowerforyou:
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    I have gone back and forth on the strength training...done a bit of it here and there... I ended up working out of town for 6 months and halfway through I roped one of my guy friends into hooking me up with a pretty basic strength training program...which he did, even sent me pictures/video of how to do some of the more confusing things properly - and I have to admit, I enjoy it.

And if it i a matter of not wanting to ask a stranger how to do things (though it seems most people in the gym are pretty cool about being asked a few questions if you are polite) - check in with your friends, or (with caution) look up some exercises on youtube...just to get the form and whatnot.
This discussion has been closed.