greek yogurt

Options
waverly9876
waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
I have heard alot of you eat this stuff. Right now, I eat carbmaster yogurt (Kroger) bc it is low in sugar. But I am going to the grocery store today and want to buy some greek yogurt. I am on a 1200 calorie diet so I would like a brand that is low in sugar and calories. Any ideas please? Thanks!

Replies

• LG2789
    LG2789 Posts: 20
    Options
    Fage Total 0%
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% has 90 calories for a 6oz cup and is delicious!
  • itskristina
    itskristina Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I bought the yoplait greek yogurt and didn't notice how much sugar it had until I got home. Depending on the flavor it's 15-20 grams of sugar & they were $1 a piece. I'm eating them just because they were expensive compared to the other yogurt, but I think next time I will be getting the plain kind (6 grams sugar), and add my own berries, honey, cinnamon, etc. to it.
  • MADI150
    MADI150 Posts: 54
    Options
    Fage serving size 1 cup 120 cal of course u do not have to eat a cup full

total fat 0%
    Cholest 0mg
    sudium 85mg
    carbs 9g
    fiber 0g
    sugar 0g
    protein 20mg

it also makes a great yogurt sauce
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    have you ever tried to "make" your own greek yogurt? I get my favorite low calorie (plain) yogurt and strain it in the fridge over night. I usually get a HUGE container so I get more for my buck!

On a similar note, I found a recipe on how to make my own yogurt (from scratch) using my crock pot. I haven't tried it but I really, really want to!
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    So the Fage 0% at 90 cal is just the plain?
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Here are some stats on greek yogurts that I buy.

Chobani greek yogurt 0% non-fat plain

6 oz (170g) serving has:
    Calories 100 Sodium 80 mg
    Total Fat 0 g Total Carbs 7 g
    Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Sugars 7 g
    Protein 18 g

Fage 0% non-fat plain
    1 cup (227g) serving has:
    Calories 120 Sodium 85 mg
    Total Fat 0 g
    Total Carbs 9 g
    Sugars 9 g
    Protein 20 g
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I like the Fage Total one (0% or 2%) for plain, and for flavoured prefer Chobani (0%, 130 cals for a blueberry or strawberry pot).
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% has 90 calories for a 6oz cup and is delicious!

I love Fage
  • waverly9876
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • dobergfell
    Options
    Since I started eating Greek yogurt, I have trouble even considering regular yogurt. Greek yogurt has 0% fat and lots of protein too! It also doesn't have a lot of the artificial ingredients found in many "regular" low-fat brands.

I personally like honey and blueberry flavors (about 130 calories depending on brand), but if you are trying to save on carbs, get the Plain variety (still tasty). It comes in at about 80-90 calories.

My favorite brands are Voskos and Dannon Greek. Not much for the Athenos where they have the fruit split from the yogurt and you mix it yourself. In my opinion, the Yoplait Greek is not worth buying at all, it just doesn't taste nearly as good as the other brands.

Good luck on your journey!
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    CHOBANI IS THE BESTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has less sugar than the Fage, and IMO it tastes better too. All natural, nothing artificially added, and it has 5 probiotics instead of the typical 2 in other yogurt. I really love the raspberry flavor, 130 cal for 6 oz i think. Yum!
  • MADI150
    Options
    Yes i make my own, its great!! , as a matter of fact i'm going to make some today for lunch.. its a great sauce and you can play around with it according to ur taste buds

i use greek yogurt
    salt
    garlic
    celery
    i'm going to add walnuts today
  • MADI150
    Options
    omg I missed the sugar thanks for reposting
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I always buy plain, non-fat Fage. This way, you can control what is added to it. Look at it like a base for whatever you want it to be.... add fruits, nuts, chocolate syrup, maple syrup, coconut, almond or peanut butter,etc. Add pumpkin puree & pumpkin pie spice to make a pumpkin pie flavored yogurt, use as a mayo or sour cream substitute, make a tzatziki sauce, etc. It's a glorious food! I just had some for breakfast with Stevia & chocolate protein powder.
  • waverly9876
    Options
    Can u get Fage at stores like Target?
  • gokate1
    gokate1 Posts: 40
    Options
    Greek yogurt has a very specific taste that many don't care for...if you find that you like plain then fage 0% is amazing!
    However, if you don't like plain then CHOBANI has some amazing flavors (My favorites are pineapple, strawberry banana, raspberry)