Nail-biters Anonymous

Options
I've been a nail-biter ever since my mom and dentist forced me (with metal mouthware) to stop sucking my thumb as a kid. I've been able to kick the habit for a month or two at a time, sometimes more, but never for good. And I feel like since I've started limiting my food intake, my habit's only gotten worse! I feel like I may have an oral fixation or something, because if I'm not eating/drinking, I bite my nails, and if I'm not biting my nails, I bite my lips and insides of my cheeks. I'll never try a cigarette because I know I'd be hooked for life.

Anyway, anyone else struggle with biting their nails? Or better yet, has anyone overcome the habit? I would love to quit once and for all, but quitting biting is way harder than counting calories!

Replies

• kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am a nail biter as well. The only things that stops me is fake nails, which I cant afford right now.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ahhh....I have the same exact problem. For me its the combination of an oral fixation and a nervous habit. I too have gone months w/o biting, but then a big test or promotion will come up and suddenly my fingers are in my mouth again and I don't even know I'm doing it. I'm graduating from law school in May and I'd really like to have nice nails when interviewing with firms. One thing that I find that helps, is chewing gum and chewing ice. I know the ice thing is bad for me too though. Any suggestion would definitely be appreciated.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I have this habit and have recently purchased a nail polish that's clear called BITE with a big red slash through it. It tastes yucky if you put your fingers near your mouth. It's working, haven't bitten my nails in almost a month....my only warning though is that if I'm trying to eat something like a cheese stick...sometimes I catch a taste of the nail polish. YUCK!!
  • glamazonjenn
    glamazonjenn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Put a lose rubber band around your wrist and snap it every time you catch yourself biting....I also chewed on a straw for awhile until I quit...but it is so worth it...you don't look like an idiot with your hand in your mouth and your nails will look amazing in no time...don't do fake nails I beg of you....they injure your nail beds and then your real nails are screwed up for life!!! You can do this...it is a metal...take control thing!!! You got this!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Would chewing gum help? and how about this sobering thought, in another 20 years time your Dentist will be able to look at your teeth and know you bite your nails because of the state of your teeth. Worn down, uneven and ridged.
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I could have written the original post. I've never associated it with thumb sucking before. I usually catch myself doing it when I'm bored and I'm bored at work a lot. Maybe we could all be a good support system. Oooh! I know! We can measure our nails each week like everyone else takes their measurements. :laugh: :wink:
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys, for the support! It's relieving to know I'm not alone! I feel like I've tried everything, but I'm willing to keep trying with the foul-tasting polish and/or chewing gum. I *hate* to think of what will happen (and what already has happened) to my teeth because of the biting :frown: And I love the measuring idea! I want a ticker that measures my fingernails in millimeters :happy:
  • bluetinker31
    Options
    I just put on fake nails cause i have a cruise to go on and it helps with the nail biting, i do the inside of my month and i have been moving to the sides of my fingers that get dry! My fingers look really bad, i try ice but i have braces now and you should not! I would love a cure for all the above, some times i peal my toe nails off! I have a bad nervous ness but i would never smoke, and i usually eat but i am not suppost to do that either!
  • xcharysma
    xcharysma Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Chronic nail-biter here. Fake nails is the only thing keeping me from biting. I've tried the garlic and nail polish, peppers, and the rubber band around the wrist and snap to control the habit. But only fake nails seem to help. Keeping an eye on this topic to see if there are anymore suggestions.
  • Tencie0615
    Tencie0615 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    ive always been a nail biter...so i wear acrylic nails for as long as i can afford to have them filled in...still find myself with them stuck in my mouth picking at them too.