gaining lean muscle

Options
I think I have lost enough weight and body fat now. Weighing at 134 pounds with 5'8 height (19 year old male).
I am looking to gain some lean muscle. I do around 20 mins of cardio most days of the week as well as resistance training for around 30 mins.

I have been eating around 1800 calories during my weight loss days. Do I need to up my calorie intake? Because I dont think my old calorie intake amount is enough to fuel my muscles.....

I am scared of eating too much calories from lean meat and other quality calories. What should I do?

Replies

• griffidj
    griffidj Posts: 6
    Options
    You need to up your calorie intake. Have a look at http://www.bodybuilding.com/ loads of useful info on there. Good Luck.
  • michaelduke31
    michaelduke31 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    what is your protein intake per day??

just some ideas: keep the carbs moderate (125 at most), try to get up around that 1.5 - 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.. so for you it should be anywhere from about 205 - 270, and maybe try some "heavy" lifting in the gym.. doing some heavier weight with some lower reps (4-6) might help those mucles grow a bit...

again, just some ideas. everyone's body is different, so it definitely takes some trial and error until you really know your body well.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I think I have lost enough weight and body fat now. Weighing at 134 pounds with 5'8 height (19 year old male).
    I am looking to gain some lean muscle. I do around 20 mins of cardio most days of the week as well as resistance training for around 30 mins.

I have been eating around 1800 calories during my weight loss days. Do I need to up my calorie intake? Because I dont think my old calorie intake amount is enough to fuel my muscles.....

I am scared of eating too much calories from lean meat and other quality calories. What should I do?

Yes, in order to gain weight (muscle) you will need to be in a caloric surplus diet (eat more than you burn) So set your goal to gain 0.5lbs/week and make sure you eat all your exercise calories back. Try changing your goals to 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat. The rule of thumb is actually grams per KG not grams per pound. You do not need to go over 30% protein, as 30% protein is the top end for protein in a balanced diet and is sufficient to aid in muscle growth.

5'8" at 134 is quite small. I am 5'6" 145lbs And I would like to put weight on. Ideal weight for a male of your height would be 106 lbs at 5' and 6lbs/inch so 154 (106+8*6), if you want to be bulkier you would want to be 10% heavier than that ,169 lbs.
  • lsiberian
    lsiberian Posts: 69
    Options
    what is your protein intake per day??

just some ideas: keep the carbs moderate (125 at most), try to get up around that 1.5 - 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.. so for you it should be anywhere from about 205 - 270, and maybe try some "heavy" lifting in the gym.. doing some heavier weight with some lower reps (4-6) might help those mucles grow a bit...

again, just some ideas. everyone's body is different, so it definitely takes some trial and error until you really know your body well.

2 grams of protein is unnecessary and won't provide any additional benefit over 1 gram per lb of lbm.
  • michelegbowman
    Options
    I am a woman and 5' 7".

I was very very thin at 132 lbs.

You're an inch taller at 5' 8" and two pounds more...are you certain you are not too thin?

Men almost always need to weigh more than a woman.

Just a little concerned for your health.

Sometimes it is easy to go too far on the other side of the scale.

This is out of a genuine concern...not acriticism.

My very best wishes.

M
  • fudokung
    fudokung Posts: 31
    Options
    thank u everyone, i am looking to up my calorie intake from around 1900 calories a day to 2200 calories from now,, is this sensible if i do resistance and strength training most days??
  • erickirb
    Options
    thank u everyone, i am looking to up my calorie intake from around 1900 calories a day to 2200 calories from now,, is this sensible if i do resistance and strength training most days??

After exercise 2200 may only be maintenance for you. Try 2200 plus eat your exercise calories.
  • fudokung
    Options
    oh really? ive always thought my maintenance is just below 2000 calories.... ill try to up it a bit,, do u think my weight is healthy??

if i feel very tired some days does this mean i am not eating enough?
  • erickirb
    Options
    oh really? ive always thought my maintenance is just below 2000 calories.... ill try to up it a bit,, do u think my weight is healthy??

if i feel very tired some days does this mean i am not eating enough?

Your maintenance may be under 2000 say 1900, but is you exercise and burn 300 calories, your maintenance on days you exercise would be 2200 (1900+300). Try putting your settings to gain 0.5lbs/week, it will probably be around 2200, but you will also have to eat your exercise calories so if you burn 300 you would have to eat 2500 (2200+300) to gain 0.5 lbs/week.

Just follow MFP and put you setting at 0.5 gain/week and eat 100% of the calories including the exercise calories.
  • Thea_N
    Thea_N Posts: 16
    Options
    You need to eat more, but by more that doesnt mean anything and whatever just to eat more calories. Make sure you are getting more protein, and you are doing more strength training with more weight. The only way to build muscle is to overload the muscle. You need to lift more often, heavier weights, for longer sessions. With a diet that is supporting the muscle growth after you are breaking it down in your workouts.

Example meal plan for you

1: Protein shake with water

2: 1/2 c oats
    greek yogurt
    10 egg whites
    3: 6 oz chicken breast ,lean steak, or turkey breast
    6 oz red potato
    1 c. veggies
    4: protein shake with water
    piece of fruit
    5: 6 oz chicken, steak, or turkey
    1/2 c. brown rice
    1c. veggies
    6: 6 oz fish
    1-2 c. veggies
    7: 6 oz fish or 10 egg whites or another protein drink
  • gunnarpalm
    gunnarpalm Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would set your profile to maintain weight or even add .5 lbs to get your weight to the point where you want. Things I have read talk about in body buidling magazines have a 40% protein 30%fat/carbs. That's what I have done and I have actually gained a couple pounds of muscle and body fat continues to decrease.
  • 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You gotta stop the cardio and start eating like a beast at that height and weight i really doubt youre looking any good come on dude start eating
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    As suggested above, check out www.bodybuilding.com. It's a great resource and its not just for meat heads. ;) And yes, you will need to up your calories. Just make sure you eat good calories. Oreos won't help. ;)

Here's a beginner's routine that's easy to work with: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843 I'm using it (with a couple substitutes).

Also check out their planner: http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/ Very handy. The meal plan will vary depending on when you workout. I workout in the morning so I adjust accordingly.
  • fudokung
    Options
    thanks a lot guys so i guess eating 1800 calories a day wont help me gain muscle at all and most of u seem to believe that 134 pounds for 5'8 is too light? I better start eating more then :)