POWER BARS

Options
Hey Guys,

I just want to get another opinion on this..what do you think..Good or bad

Replies

• Shelty64
    Shelty64 Posts: 18
    Options
    My opinion: Power Bars good for body builders (maybe), not so good for dieters. Too high in calories for me. Some of my meals have around the same calories.

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 1 bar (2.25 oz)
    Calories 228.8
    Calories from Fat 15.79
    Total Fat 1.75g 3%
    Saturated Fat 0.331g 2%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.273g
    Monounsaturated Fat 1.03g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 20.15mg 1%
    Potassium 91.65mg 3%
    Dietary Fiber 3.05g 12%
    Protein 10.14g 20%
    Alcohol 0g
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    How about trying protein bars? Less calories, more protein and pretty filling and taste good!
  • rayne937
    rayne937 Posts: 16
    Options
    I read somewhere that if you are going to eat a power/energy bar, it should be no more than 200 cals, 5g fat, and 20 carbs. I think that is a good rule of thumb!
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    I eat balance bars. They're delicious!! They have 200 calories in each bar, which I personally don't think is a lot considering I get a 'sweet' in (some people think they're gross but they taste good) and it never brings me over my cals with diet and exercise. Not sure about the whole 'body builder' thing, I'm certainly not one, but they give me energy.
  • egoplast
    egoplast Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    EAS Myoplex bars are my favorite.
  • lareyna124
    Options
    I read somewhere that if you are going to eat a power/energy bar, it should be no more than 200 cals, 5g fat, and 20 carbs. I think that is a good rule of thumb!

i agree with ^^^
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    I eat the gluten free think thin mixed nuts/with white chocolate bars on the days I lift only......on those days I need a little extra protein for my muslces. On cardio only days I do not eat them.
  • Thea_N
    Thea_N Posts: 16
    Options
    Both power bars and protein bars aren't good for you unless you may be a marathon runner. They are VERY high in sugar, many have more than the daily recommended intake for your whole days worth of sugar. They do have reduced sugar kinds, but in those there are 26g of sugar alcohol which messes up digestion. If you are on the go and cant think of a healthy eat and there isn't a place to get a salad, healthy sandwich, or piece of fruit, then eating a protein or power bar is better than eating fast food. BUT think about it a power bar has as many calories as a hamburger from mcdonalds. Just because it isn't skyrocketing in calories, doesn't mean it is good for you. Try getting a protein shake that you like. One with about 30g of protein and no more than 3g of sugar also one low in carbs.. It a better snack, and will help build lean muscle.
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    The only protein bars I eat are Think Thin, and I always use them as a very heavy snack or as a complete meal replacement. Think Thin bars have ZERO sugar and 20 (yes twenty!) grams of protein.

Good stuff :)
  • kmfrisqu
    kmfrisqu Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat Pure Protein bars when I need a chocolate fix. I cut them in 1/4 and one piece is satisfiying for me.
  • ChrisR0128
    Options
    I like the myloplex lite protien drinks after a good work out, not to bad in calories 20g protien, only 170 calories best ratio i have found
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    Both power bars and protein bars aren't good for you unless you may be a marathon runner.
    I wouldn't eat them if I were solely focused on running. There's much better options out there with grains + protein.

That said, I eat the PowerBar Harvest Energy bars and Pure Protein bars. I eat 2-3 a day as snacks. Just have to make sure you're doing "something" along with this. They aren't a low cal snack.
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think energy bars are good if used appropriately-- I use them when I'm hiking, and I want something that is going to provide me with hours worth of energy while not taking up a lot of weight in my pack. I don't use them in day-to-day situations where I could obtain the same nutrition through opening up my fridge.

I lean toward Luna Bars (the normal ones usually, but the high-protein ones sometimes too) and Cliff Bars over Power Bars. Don't care for how Power Bars taste.