Question about calories burned

Options
Hello everyone! I have a question about the calories burned. When I walk on my lunch break my pedometer says I've burned X amount of calories but when I impute this into MFP, the automatic amount pops up way different. How do I know which amount to use" I've been using the number on my pedometer because its lower. Is that right? Thank you in advance for any help.

Replies

• veggiemuncher12
    veggiemuncher12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Not sure.. have you thought of using a heart rate monitor?
  • joynova
    joynova Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I find that MFP gives too many "calories burned". If you are using equipment that shows you calories burned then I would input them instead of using what is given. I figure better to show I've burned less than I have than more than I have! This way I'm not eating too many calories. :smile:
    Hope that helps!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    MFP is probably better than the pedometer if you don't enter your stats into the pedometer.

For me, MFP gives me less than what my HRM does.
  • asmayy
    asmayy Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,

I would use the number that comes up on your pedometer; each body burns calories at a different rate, so the numbers on MFP all probably an overall estimate for the general population
  • TammyBarham
    TammyBarham Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    IDK, but 32 lbs!? keep it up, thats AWESOME!!!!
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The problem with the calories burned given on MFP is that people of all different sizes and weights use it so my calories burned will be completely different then someone who is 5'10 160lbs. I'd suggest getting a heart rate monitor. it changed everything for me!
  • kcarlson16
    kcarlson16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I tend to go with the lower number because I would rather be safe then sorry.
    But other wise I have never had that large of a gap either.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    A HRM will tell the trueth as to how many calories you burn. Unless the device you are using will let you put all your stats in, they only give an average which is OK to use but every one is different and every time you do an exercise the results will be different because you will not do it the same every time.
  • lbowa2
    lbowa2 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I am using the all-in pedometer on my iPhone...I have my stats inputted and I will continue to use that instead of the MFP numbers. Thank you!!