Protein.....

Options
I keep going over on my daily protein. Everything else I stay under, which I am very proud of myself but I am not sure if it is a good thing or bad thing to go over on protein almost each day. Any advice?!?!?

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    i strive to go over on protein and fiber. protein is what your body needs to build muscle.
  • zulunery
    zulunery Posts: 22
    Options
    If you're working out you probably want to increase your protein intake and limit your carbs intake; at least that's what I do. I workout, primarily strenghth training, up to 4x/week and I try to get in at least 100g of protein and a max of 120g of carbs. It doesn't always workout but I noticed I lose inches if I do this. Hang in there.
  • ndhr3d
    ndhr3d Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Protein... GREAT to go over... I take in 150+ grams a day.

I've heard from numerous sources that you should take in - in grams of protein - the same amount as your lean body weight...
    200lb @ 30% fat would want 140 grams of protein a day.

200*0.30=60 lb of fat
    200 - 60 = 140 lb of lean body mass = amount of recommended protein intake
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP sets your protein as 15% of your daily caloric intake, I find that too low, I bumped mine to 30% to get where I wanted to be 0.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight.

To change yours click home... goals.. change goals... custom.... continue... set your numbers ie 40% carb 30% protein 30% fat and enjoy
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    you definitely need protein but there is also such thing as too much protein. a diet that's made up of more than 30% protein could cause your body to build up toxins which puts a lot of pressure on your kidneys to get rid of these toxins (called ketones). It's definitely something to talk to your doctor/nutritionist about- it can be really dangerous, causing dehydration, kidney failure and heart problems in the worst cases.
  • SSampley
    SSampley Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you asked this, I was just entering in my lunch and I have already used all my protein! I was just wondering the same thing!!
  • JennyMaeK0420
    Options
    Awesome!! I was a little nervous I was doing something wrong! ;-) Thank you so much for the quick responses!!! ;-)
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your protein as 15% of your daily caloric intake, I find that too low, I bumped mine to 30% to get where I wanted to be 0.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight.

To change yours click home... goals.. change goals... custom.... continue... set your numbers ie 40% carb 30% protein 30% fat and enjoy

agreed,

i use 55% arb, 30% protein, 15% fat.15% protein is pretty low, especially if your exercisingand trying to maintain/build muscles.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The numbers that MFP set you up on in the beginning are a standard percentage that most, if not all, personal training certifications recommend for a maintainence program. I actually change all these percentages on my clients when I set them up on here because in my opinion, the fat and carbs are too high and like you noticed, the protein is too low. The numbers that are working for me and my clients are 55% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat. I have other breakdowns that can have more dramatic effects, but try these numbers and if you have any other questions, shoot me a message.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    sorry, I meant 45% carbs :-)
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    you definitely need protein but there is also such thing as too much protein. a diet that's made up of more than 30% protein could cause your body to build up toxins which puts a lot of pressure on your kidneys to get rid of these toxins (called ketones). It's definitely something to talk to your doctor/nutritionist about- it can be really dangerous, causing dehydration, kidney failure and heart problems in the worst cases.

Incorrect on a couple points. First, protein use itself does not harm kidneys and no studies point to a high protein diet leading to kidney disease. The only study, the one that you are likely basing your opinion on, is based on protein intake by those already with kidney disease. Further, your number of 30% is off for many reasons that I won't even get into right now. Second, a high protein diet does not equate to the bodies release of ketone bodies. The body will enter into ketosis with the lack of stored glycogen (carbs) for fuel. The body will then oxidize stored fat to get ketones. Ketones are just another source of energy in the body. Third, there is no such thing as too much protein. If you are under your resting metobalic rate for calories for the day, any excess protein will be excreted by the body. However, you are right in that you can have too much of anything (carbs, fats, and protein) if you go over your daily caloric needs. But by itself there is no limit to how much protein you can, or should, consume. Yes, there are other reasons to limit protein intake. But those involve the tagalongs that come with whole foods and red meat. Fat content and uric acid come to mind.

Research and return. But please stop posting things like this. Thanks.