No appetite

Options
What should I eat? I dont have an appetite, I had 3 cups of coffee for breakfast and no lunch. I know I need to eat something to take in my calories,but I'm not hungry at all.:ohwell:

Replies

• crazymama2two
    Options
    oof coffee doest hat to me too...pick something, anything and dont go crazy!! i usually end up scarfing down something cause im starving once it kicks in!
  • jennstults
    Options
    Hey! I have the same problem, especially in the morning. Have you tried eating a protein bar or a protein shake? That is what I have to do in the am just to get some food down. I get the Atkins shakes and they are not bad. They even have a Mocha Latte one that is pretty good too. :) Hope this helps some! Just start small and work your way up don't try to do it all at once.

Jennifer
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    What do you normally eat? Do you usually have no appetite, or is this recent? If this just started - why do you think you don't have an appetite - illness? stress?

Having no appetite is not normal and isn't healthy. If you've been eating really low calories fairly consistently for more than just a short time, you may have trained your body to stop being hungry. The body's hunger signal will adapt and after awhile, it essentially "gives up" and stops complaining.

If it's just about breakfast - I used to never eat breakfast, but I started by eating something small every day, then gradually added to that. Now I regularly eat 300 or so calories every day for breakfast. Gradually work to get your body used to eating regularly throughout the whole day.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    What should I eat? I dont have an appetite, I had 3 cups of coffee for breakfast and no lunch. I know I need to eat something to take in my calories,but I'm not hungry at all.:ohwell:

It's because of the coffee. Caffeine is an appetite suppressant. I used to drink coffee all day and eat after work (and eat and eat and eat). Try and eat something even if it's light.
  • tyrie
    tyrie Posts: 14
    Options
    oof coffee doest hat to me too...pick something, anything and dont go crazy!! i usually end up scarfing down something cause im starving once it kicks in!

Yes this is what I'm trying to avoid.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Yes this is what I'm trying to avoid.

Try something small with higher protein and cals. An apple and some peanut butter would be good...
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    if you are really not hungry then you can just not eat, and save your calories for tomorrow. Or balance them out through the week. One day of low cals won't make you go into starvation mood.
  • tyrie
    Options
    Hey! I have the same problem, especially in the morning. Have you tried eating a protein bar or a protein shake? That is what I have to do in the am just to get some food down. I get the Atkins shakes and they are not bad. They even have a Mocha Latte one that is pretty good too. :) Hope this helps some! Just start small and work your way up don't try to do it all at once.

Jennifer

Thanks! I've always wondered about those bars and shakes. I never tried them I was too afraid they would be gross.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    walk by some restaurant/bakery with enticing smells! that'll wake up your appetite and then grab a salad or a light sandwich wrap :)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Nuts are calorie dense foods that you don't need to eat in abundance to get some calories in. I'm eating some right now actually.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If I am not hungry I down a chocolate Ensure. 250 cals and balanced nutrition! YAY!

And also when I'm not hungry, sometimes it's because nothing sounds good, so I'll eat something bland like rice or plain cream of wheat, or a cereal like mini wheats that's kind of flavorless. Eating something kick starts the hunger that SHOULD be there.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I would definitely quit drinking the coffee because it can curve your appetite. Even though you're not hungry, you should go ahead and eat something before you end up getting sick. In addition, if you keep going without eating, you'll kill your metabolism.
  • tyrie
    Options
    What do you normally eat? Do you usually have no appetite, or is this recent? If this just started - why do you think you don't have an appetite - illness? stress?

Having no appetite is not normal and isn't healthy. If you've been eating really low calories fairly consistently for more than just a short time, you may have trained your body to stop being hungry. The body's hunger signal will adapt and after awhile, it essentially "gives up" and stops complaining.

If it's just about breakfast - I used to never eat breakfast, but I started by eating something small every day, then gradually added to that. Now I regularly eat 300 or so calories every day for breakfast. Gradually work to get your body used to eating regularly throughout the whole day.

I have noticed it's been about a week or two and by the end of the day I end up paying for it by eating things I didnt want in the first place! Thank you for this information..I love this place( MFP)
  • tyrie
    Options
    I would definitely quit drinking the coffee because it can curve your appetite. Even though you're not hungry, you should go ahead and eat something before you end up getting sick. In addition, if you keep going without eating, you'll kill your metabolism.

What No coffee! How or what reason would I have to get outta bed? lol:laugh: I will admit I must go back to just one cup a day tho