You have such a pretty face....

Options
I don't know about you but I just want to smack someone when they say this to me.....it is so hurtful. I heard it enough at one point that it has really stuck with me... I wish people would think before they talk....but I am at a point in life where I don't let negative things stay negative...I turn them around. I will keep working until I have a smokin hot body to go with this pretty face! Don't let the negative or thoughtless people keep you down!!! Happy Friday everybody!!!

Replies

• nmp1994
    nmp1994 Posts: 96
    Options
    Go Girl!!!! :smile:
  • BrittBrat33
    Options
    It is nice to know that i am not the only one that feels that way!!!!! I wish you nothing but the best on your journey!!! CHEERS!!! :drinker:
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i love your way of thinking
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I hate to hear this!!:angry: But I do not let this sidetrack. I am glad you are not letting it stop you!:drinker:
  • pdcarrell
    pdcarrell Posts: 101
    Options
    :) Just know when yall get that smoking hot Bod! Your going to be total packages! 10's :) I hope I get to be a 10! :)
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I really dislike when people say that. I often wonder what they are thinking just before saying it. Great that you don't keep the negative stuff! Good luck! :happy:
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know the indication, it means you have such a pretty face but you are overweight. Would you rather they say nothing? Or what would you want someone to say to you? Is "You have a nice personality" better?
    I mean, if you are 50, 60 pounds overweight (like I am), IMHO a compliment about my body would just be a flat out lie (unless it's from a chubby chaser) and that would really offend me.

I am overweight, I know that. I also know that it generally isn't as attractive -- it is not like that is NEWS to me, or that I think other people haven't noticed. So, if someone says "You have such a pretty face" I just take it like that - someone trying to be nice and paying me a compliment.
    If someone tells me "Your blouse looks great" I don't understand that to mean that the rest of my clothes look like *kitten*.
    Do you think someone with a very attractive body but a not so pretty face feels the same if someone says to them "You have great legs!"?

I am overweight (but I am working on it).
    I know that I am overweight.
    I know that people know I am overweight.
    I don't expect everyone to ignore the elephant in the room (and LOL, really bad metaphor), I just expect them to still be nice to me so if someone tells me that I have a pretty face, that my blouse looks nice, etc. I take it just like that.

You say "Don't let the negative people keep you down" I think the start to being happier is not assuming that things are negative that may not be.
  • OVERWEIGHTLUVA
    OVERWEIGHTLUVA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    YESSSSS!!! That is so irritating! I've heard it many times before. It's like the 'nicest' way possible to say your body looks terrible, but at least your not ugly too. That's how I used to take it anyway. But you're absolutely right...turn it around, let it motivate you to do that extra rep or workout that extra 5 mins. FAT is FIXABLE! And we're going to get there!!!! Just let the comments roll off and keep it Movin'!
  • bullmastifflover
    bullmastifflover Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Saldridge...I acknowledge that it is an awkward compliment, but at least people compliment your face. My face is so covered with chub that I'm not recognizable to people who haven't seen me in a while. I get compliments on my hair! I used to get tons of compliments on my smile...that's gone because of the chub. Just take the compliment and say thank you and move on. They are only trying to lift your spirits...give people the benefit of the doubt and you'll be happier in life.
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I know the indication, it means you have such a pretty face but you are overweight. Would you rather they say nothing? Or what would you want someone to say to you? Is "You have a nice personality" better?
    I mean, if you are 50, 60 pounds overweight (like I am), IMHO a compliment about my body would just be a flat out lie (unless it's from a chubby chaser) and that would really offend me.

I am overweight, I know that. I also know that it generally isn't as attractive -- it is not like that is NEWS to me, or that I think other people haven't noticed. So, if someone says "You have such a pretty face" I just take it like that - someone trying to be nice and paying me a compliment.
    If someone tells me "Your blouse looks great" I don't understand that to mean that the rest of my clothes look like *kitten*.
    Do you think someone with a very attractive body but a not so pretty face feels the same if someone says to them "You have great legs!"?

I am overweight (but I am working on it).
    I know that I am overweight.
    I know that people know I am overweight.
    I don't expect everyone to ignore the elephant in the room (and LOL, really bad metaphor), I just expect them to still be nice to me so if someone tells me that I have a pretty face, that my blouse looks nice, etc. I take it just like that.

You say "Don't let the negative people keep you down" I think the start to being happier is not assuming that things are negative that may not be.
    Good posting, and you have some great analogies.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I think I have pretty eyes :bigsmile:
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you but I just want to smack someone when they say this to me.....it is so hurtful. I heard it enough at one point that it has really stuck with me... I wish people would think before they talk....but I am at a point in life where I don't let negative things stay negative...I turn them around. I will keep working until I have a smokin hot body to go with this pretty face! Don't let the negative or thoughtless people keep you down!!! Happy Friday everybody!!!
    This makes me afraid to ever compliment anyone, for fear they may read into it something I don't intend.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    This makes me afraid to ever compliment anyone, for fear they may read into it something I don't intend.
    Like.

Not sure how a compliment is negative-- but, maybe that's just me.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I think I have pretty eyes :bigsmile:

AAAWWW Phil, You do have pretty eyes...way to love yourself (sometimes too much) ;) I couldn't make it through half of my days without your humor.
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel this way, but how do you know that's what it means? I personally would love it if someone would tell me I had a pretty face :-). I'm sorry that it made you feel badly.
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    I don't expect everyone to ignore the elephant in the room (and LOL, really bad metaphor)

LOL! I agree with what you're saying. I would rather someone give me an honest compliment than a half-assed one.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I tell ya, "You have such a pretty face..." it heads and shoulders above, "You're a really nice guy but.....". :tongue:
  • GLLove
    GLLove Posts: 77
    Options
    I think maybe being self conscious about being overweight makes us automatically take it negatively even if that isnt the intention. More of an inner "If i wasnt overweight you wouldnt just have to compliment my face."
  • chloe1974
    chloe1974 Posts: 18
    Options
    I hear it all the time too...I just wish people would think before they speak....
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Amen sista! Ugh I hated that:-/