Vacation: To log or not to log?

Options
I'm going on a short vacation soon. Four days total, two taken up with travel and two rock climbing. As of this morning, I'm 1.5 pounds away from my goal weight. So the million calorie question is: do I log everything just like normal AND make sure I stay within my net calorie limit, or do I leave it to chance, eat what I want, and see what the Scale of Doom has to say about it when I return? It's noteworthy that the last two climbing trips I've been on, I've selected to do the latter (not log and eat whatever I want, and I seriously mean whatever I want), and I have not gained any weight at all. Also, I burn insane numbers of calories on the days that I climb. So what's the difference now, you ask? I'm **1.5 pounds** away from my goal weight. Oooohhhhhh so close!!!!!

So, MFP friends and neighbors, to log or not to log???

Replies

• colombiana444
    colombiana444 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    im going on vacation too! i had the same thoughts but i decided to log anyway... even if it's bad. gives me some perspective of what I'm putting in my body and maybe because of the fact that im logging, i wont let myself do so bad... so when i'm back from my vacation, i wont have to go through a huge disappointment.
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Log it, but not just the food, the exercise! I just went on a trip and was so afraid to log, but I ate what I wanted and drank like a fish and logged every ounce of exercise I did. While I ended up eating (mostly drinking) my exercise calories back, I still never went over. If you log it all religiously not just the food I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!
  • writenina
    writenina Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm in a position where I wont be able to log while im on vacation. We'll be gone for 2 weeks and will be in another country so I dont know what kinds of foods will be available.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I say no lol!!! Your on vacation and you will burn tons of calories. You know how to make healthy choices so just stick with that. And indulge!!! I go on vacation to EAT!!! I might have ti change that mindset though come August. Sounds like fun!!!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd probably not log and eat generally within reason on the travel days and anything you want on the climbing days.

On the other hand, I have lots more to lose than you do and am going on a short vacation also. I'm logging and staying 500 calories under (instead of the 1000 I usually stay under). But, I'm not going to be near as active as you are, and like i said, I have a lot further to go. Also, I'm not confident that if I do "let loose" that I can get right back on the eating healthy train. Since you only have a pound and half to go - I'm guessing you've learned to eat healthy and can get right back on that train!

Have fun!!!!
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I honeslty think its your decison. I would
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For myself I have to log, even if it means just writing down what I'm having so I can enter it when I'm back at the computer later. I need the log to be able to see what I did that caused a 0 weight loss or a drop of a couple pounds. When I'm closer to my goal weight and more used to doing this yeah I don't see logging permanently but for now it's working for me.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in logging EVERYTHING. With vacation, I don't know that I would be that worried about staying within my limits as strictly as I normally try to (it is vacation after all), but I would log it just to keep my momentum going and so I know what I did while I was gone.
  • LareishaH
    LareishaH Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I say don't log. If you are that close to your goal weight anyway, you can use these four days to see how good you will be at maintaining. Have fun!!!
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    I vote don't log. Enjoy your trip, and you will be doing something active anyways so its not like you're just going to sit on a beach somewhere
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    I logged when I was on vacation last week but did not worry about going over - plus I actually worked out on 4 of the days anyway! It is a matter of preference really. I decided to do it to see how far over I went each day. Even with beers I did not go over too much each day.

Also, you may not go over at all on the days you rock climb.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I am going to Jamaica in May and wont be able to log. Its an all inclusve place (Sandals). I know that I will be drinking and eating while laying out. It's 5 days so when I get back, I will have to work my butt off to make up for my enjoyable vacation.
  • chrissy_824
    chrissy_824 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Since you're going to be pretty active on your vacation I say don't log. You're so close to your goal weight so you know what you can and can't eat and how you'll body will burn the calories. Have fun on your vacation!
  • shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    Options
    I would log!! I went to England last week for four days and didn't log anything in........which I really regret!! I found I was snacking on things I shouldnt have and eating supersize portions!! I gained 3lbs over the 4 days!! If you log....it kinda motivates you to steer clear of the "bad" foods!!

Enjoy your holiday!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Maztastic
    Maztastic Posts: 43
    Options
    Congratulations on getting so close to your goal.

I vote you should log it. It's part of helping you to have a better understanding of how your lifestyle choices affect your body. The information will help you with your future weight maintenance.
  • anitanz
    anitanz Posts: 72
    Options
    You would be surprised what foods are available in other countries. I live in New Zealand and all the foods I eat are on MFP, also my boyfriends Mum is Indian and all the dishes she cooks are on here too, even things I've never heard of before!
  • anitanz
    anitanz Posts: 72
    Options
    [I'm in a position where I wont be able to log while im on vacation. We'll be gone for 2 weeks and will be in another country so I dont know what kinds of foods will be available.]

You might be surprised what foods are available in other countries. I live in New Zealand and all the foods I eat are on MFP, also my boyfriends Mum is Indian and all the dishes she cooks are on here too, even things I've never heard of before!
    [/quote]