• charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    great post!
  • USAFwifey12
    USAFwifey12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have one every morning for breakfast:

1/2 cup frozen raspberries (lower in sugar/carbs than other fruits)
    1/2 cup frozen fruit of choice (I use a pineapple, peach, mango, & strawberry mix from Walmart)
    1/2 cup frozen cut spinach (great source of iron)
    1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (great source of protein if you don't use powders like me)
    2 Tbsp ground flax seed
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk (less calories than regular milk and NO sugar)
    1/2 cup Trop50 orange juice (gives it extra flavor without all the calories/sugar in regular fruit juices)

Has SO MANY good nutrients and only 310 calories for a 24+ oz smoothie. I stay full until lunch everyday.

*You can also make one with a banana and 2 Tbsp of peanut butter for workout recovery smoothie
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies for breakfast. My daughter loves them as a nighttime snack. So from these ingredients I make two and save one for myself the next day:

about 1 cup of nonfat plain yogurt
    about 1 cup of mixed berries (if they're frozen, thaw them out a bit before you use them, especially strawberries)
    1 medium banana, in pieces.

Puree until smooth. The banana provides all the sweetness, and it also makes it super thick and rich, like a milkshake.

Five minutes, TOPS. It's the only way I can stand yogurt, there's no added sugar, and frozen fruit is better for you than stuff that's been sitting in warehouses and grocery stores for weeks before you put it in your cart.
  • momie0205
    momie0205 Posts: 232
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. They all sound great!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Just made a yummy one this morning.

1 cup plain yogurt
    1 frozen banana, peel removed
    1/2 cup fresh blueberries
    1/2 of a large apple, core removed, skin intact
    1 ounce of baby spinach
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Slice up the apple and banana so they fit in the food processor, and blend until smooth. My smoothie was pretty thick, so you may want to add some milk to thin it out. This recipe makes 2 10-oz smoothies.
  • scweegie
    scweegie Posts: 59
    Options
    I love this

1 C Skim chocolate milk
    1 spoon of peanut butter
    1 scoop protein powder
    ice

you could add banana too

it's like a chocolate shake
    you could also use almond milk to cut the calories
  • JoinerMaus
    Options
    I can't wait to try these! Thanks for this post!
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    1 scoop of amazing grass green superfood
    1 tsp liquid vitamin b
    1/2 cup yogurt
    1/2 juice
    1 serving frozen fruit
    1 tbs flax seed

I use a hand blender. Sometimes I'll through in a banana, ginger, or honey depending on what juice and fruit I have used.

This green superfood powder, where can I find that, besides ordering it online? Also to you and others putting spinach and other green stuff into their fruit smoothies, do you taste the veggies?
  • USAFwifey12
    USAFwifey12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    This green superfood powder, where can I find that, besides ordering it online? Also to you and others putting spinach and other green stuff into their fruit smoothies, do you taste the veggies?

I was always scared to try any veggies in my smoothies but now I always add spinach because I have low iron. I can't taste it at all, and if you puree it fine enough you can't even tell there is any in there because you don't get the flakes.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options

I was always scared to try any veggies in my smoothies but now I always add spinach because I have low iron. I can't taste it at all, and if you puree it fine enough you can't even tell there is any in there because you don't get the flakes.

Thanks for the response! I'm definitely going to try this soon! One more question that's slightly related: for after a workout, I usually do unsweetened almond milk with chocolate whey protein powder. But I'd like to have something more fruity, less dessert tasting. If I did vanilla protein powder with fruit and water or something, would that be too many carbs (in the fruit, not the powder--the powder is low-carb) for after-workout?
  • porchwork
    porchwork Posts: 69
    Options
    bump bump:wink:
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I just made this tonight. Got the inspiration from the bananas foster smoothie from Wawa. It turned out pretty good. Wawa's still is better, but this version is only 180 cals compared to the 750 cals at Wawa.

8 oz. Silk vanilla soy milk
    1 banana
    2 tbsp. Toriani sugar free caramel syrup
    ice
  • Patty28
    Patty28 Posts: 10
    Options
    great smoothie recipes...i will be making a few for sure!
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    These sound yummy can't wait to try them all:smile:
  • hoop77
    hoop77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup Zola Acai juice
    3/4 cup your favourite yogurt
    Super easy and even the kids love it!
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178