Addicted to Kale Chips!

Options
Heidi716
Heidi716 Posts: 135
Ok so probably it's the farther away I get from eating real chips of any kind, but I tried making Kale Chips a couple months ago and they came out tasting like burnt paper. But I tried again last week and tweaked the temp and cooking time. Now I'm addicted to them and look forward to having them as a snack everyday!

Ingredients:
Bunch of Kale rinsed and dried
Fat Free Olive Oil cooking spray
Johnny's Seasoning/ Sea Salt

Spray a cookie sheet, tear the kale into bite size pieces, discard the stems. Arrange on the cookie sheet and spray again with the cooking spray, lightly (and I mean lightly, Kale seems to already have a salty flavor, you can always salt more after cooking) salt and bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes until slightly crispy, they tend to crisp up more as they cool and it's easy to over cook, you have to watch carefully until you know how your oven will cook. They are an awesome savory snack with out the guilt!

1 Cup Serving
Calories 15 Sodium 175 mg
Total Fat 0 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 3 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 1 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g Protein 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg

Replies

• sexyjeans
    sexyjeans Posts: 49
    Options
    bump---I've heard of those. Looking forward to trying!
  • losing4myself
    Options
    BUMP. Is it wrong that i've never heard of Kale?
  • sforzamy1727
    Options
    :happy:
    thanks for this!!
    I actually saw a show on Food Network that made these and really wanted to try them!
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me I have some kale in the fridge and I can have some too!!! So awesome!!
  • Heidi716
    Options
    BUMP. Is it wrong that i've never heard of Kale?

Ha! No, because I always thought it was a garnish, when I was in collage they used kale to cover the ice on the salad bar and make it all look pretty, but no one ever ate it! But you'll find it in the produce section with the leafy greens!
  • nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    Bump :) Have some in my fridge right now that I didn't know what I was gonna do with it!!!!!!!
  • kdrew11
    kdrew11 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Great! Are these Calorie free then?
  • kdrew11
    kdrew11 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    BUMP - Sorry! Just seen 15 cals! Fab
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    bump. sounds intresting
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Just curious, how sturdy are they when they’re done? Can you dip them in hummus? Or a homemade ranch? And do you have to eat it all at once or do they store okay?
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump~!
  • Heidi716
    Options
    Just curious, how sturdy are they when they’re done? Can you dip them in hummus? Or a homemade ranch? And do you have to eat it all at once or do they store okay?

No, not too sturdy, def not dippable. I haven't tried to store them, I just bake what I'm gonna eat and store it fresh in the fridge until I'm ready to make more. The reason you tear them up into bite size pieces is because you have to pop the whole thing in your mouth, you can't really take a bite out of a chip, as it's really flaky and will most likely fall apart.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options

No, not too sturdy, def not dippable. I haven't tried to store them, I just bake what I'm gonna eat and store it fresh in the fridge until I'm ready to make more. The reason you tear them up into bite size pieces is because you have to pop the whole thing in your mouth, you can't really take a bite out of a chip, as it's really flaky and will most likely fall apart.

I see. Makes sense. Thanks for that reply. Definitely going to try it.
  • blondie3_04
    blondie3_04 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hopefairy21
    Options
    I love them too! I use Nutritional Yeast sprinkled on top instead of salt, and it gives them a Cheesy flavor! Very Healthy and better if salt is a concern.

1 large bunch Kale (any variety)
    2 tsp Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
    1 tsp Olive Oil (optional)
    3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast