Just to be clear...

Options
Hi everyone! I'm a newby here too...just started keeping track of everything on Sunday. My best friend mentioned the site and it looks really great!!

There's one thing I want to make sure I understand correctly, though...

So, MFP told me my base calorie count per day with no exercise is 1200 calories to lose 1 lb a week.
But my BMR is 1343.

Based on stuff I've read on other posts, is it true that I should manually update my MFP calorie count before exercise to 1343 calories, so that I'm not eating below my BMR?

And just out of curiosity, what causes one's BMR to be more than the calories suggested by the MFP system? I only want to lose 10-15 lbs (I'm getting married in May and want to look my best!), so I'm technically already at a healthy weight according to my BMI (only it doesn't really feel healthy - as I haven't been working out regularly for about 2 years and have gotten REALLY flabby.)...does that make a difference?

Anyway, I just want to make sure I'm doing this right...the past few days I was going along based on the 1200 count, and I was REALLY hungry. The good news is, I find this system totally motivational - I've worked out every day since I started, just so I could eat more calories!!

I have so much respect for everyone on this site...everyone is really taking it upon themselves to live a healthier, happier life. It's just such an inspirational thing, to read all the posts and see the kind of support that's out there. Way to go, everyone!! :smile:

Replies

• May92009Bride
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm a newby here too...just started keeping track of everything on Sunday. My best friend mentioned the site and it looks really great!!

So, MFP told me my base calorie count per day with no exercise is 1200 calories to lose 1 lb a week.
    But my BMR is 1343.

Based on stuff I've read on other posts, is it true that I should manually update my MFP calorie count before exercise to 1343 calories, so that I'm not eating below my BMR?

And just out of curiosity, what causes one's BMR to be more than the calories suggested by the MFP system? I only want to lose 10-15 lbs (I'm getting married in May and want to look my best!), so I'm technically already at a healthy weight according to my BMI (only it doesn't really feel healthy - as I haven't been working out regularly for about 2 years and have gotten REALLY flabby.)...does that make a difference?

Anyway, I just want to make sure I'm doing this right...the past few days I was going along based on the 1200 count, and I was REALLY hungry. The good news is, I find this system totally motivational - I've worked out every day since I started, just so I could eat more calories!!

I have so much respect for everyone on this site...everyone is really taking it upon themselves to live a healthier, happier life. It's just such an inspirational thing, to read all the posts and see the kind of support that's out there. Way to go, everyone!! :smile:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP
  • crystalicfusion
    Options
    As far as I understand MFP starts everyone out at about 1200 cal. per day. You can adjust that if it works for you. And, if you don't work out it is completely possible to be a skinny fat person. It does you no good to be thin if you couldn't walk up a flight of stairs. So, if you don't feel healthy then you should fix the problem.

I wish you the best on your quest to a healthier life.
    Welcome to MFP:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

But my BMR is 1343.

Hi! congrats on your upcoming wedding. I too am getting married next summer, but in August :flowerforyou:

Since you are already at a healthy weight, I suggest aiming to lose 1/2 lb per week, as 1 lb is going to be extremely difficult, and 1200 cals a day is almost definitely too low for you. Also, remember that you get to eat back any calories you excercise away. so iff you burn 400 cals jogging (or whatever), you actually get to eat 400 extra calories for that day. Excercise is for toning, but your pre-set deficit is what will make you lose weight. Good luck!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    As far as I understand MFP starts everyone out at about 1200 cal. per day. You can adjust that if it works for you. And, if you don't work out it is completely possible to be a skinny fat person. It does you no good to be thin if you couldn't walk up a flight of stairs. So, if you don't feel healthy then you should fix the problem.

I wish you the best on your quest to a healthier life.
    Welcome to MFP:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

MFP doesn't start everyone at 1200. 1200 is the lowest that MFP will recommend. It suggests caloric amounts based on gender, what you weigh now and how much you want to lose per week. 1200 is too low for most people.
  • May92009Bride
    Options
    Thanks for the info, everyone. I really appreciate the advice and insight!