How do I get more flexible?

Options
Ok I dont mean this pervertedly ... but I am ridiculously tight in the hamstrings, hip flexors, etc. I can touch my toes sitting down, but otherwise I just feel sooo tight.

I want to be super flexible... I think this would help? Anyone have any specific ideas -- not just "stretch more"?

Replies

• jeyoung03
    jeyoung03 Posts: 83
    Options
    Yoga helps a lot!
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Yep Yoga really does work.
  • henchwench
    Options
    Unfortunately stretching more is the most effective way.
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    yoga does help alot but really "stretch more" is your best bet. I mean like at lease every day:ohwell:
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yoga!
  • dawn2154
    dawn2154 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    pilates for flexibility really helps.
  • jdedzant
    jdedzant Posts: 34
    Options
    besides the obvious "stretch more" statement lol when you do stretch, drink at least 8 ounces of water before hand and stretch in sweatpants and sweatshirts, even if you are stretching post-workout. a quick five minute cardio blast before stretching also helps loosen your muscles so you can get more out of your stretching sessions.

all this is coming from a lifelong dancer who has struggled with flexibility so these tips have definitely made a huge improvement for me :)

you will also naturally get more flexible as you lose weight
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Just DO NOT stretch unless you are warmed up first. You can seriously injure yourself! Do some squats and jumping jacks for about 5-10 minutes...
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    one of the benifts of Yoga : Flexibility
    "When some people think of yoga, they imagine having to stretch like a gymnast. That makes them worry that they're too old, unfit, or "tight" to do yoga. The truth is you're never too old to improve flexibility.

The series of yoga poses called asanas work by safely stretching your muscles. This releases the lactic acid that builds up with muscle use and causes stiffness, tension, pain, and fatigue. In addition, yoga increases the range of motion in joints. It may also increase lubrication in the joints. The outcome is a sense of ease and fluidity throughout your body.

Yoga stretches not only your muscles but all of the soft tissues of your body. That includes ligaments, tendons, and the fascia sheath that surrounds your muscles. And no matter your level of yoga, you most likely will see benefits in a very short period of time. In one study, participants had up to 35% improvement in flexibility after only eight weeks of yoga. The greatest gains were in shoulder and trunk flexibility."
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    my hips are WAY tight and I do the yoga pose pigeon (http://deannameiresonne.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/sport-yoga-pigeon-pose.jpeg?w=990&h=257&crop=1) to stretch em out before runs and before going to bed. Notice how the model's back is extended forward and curved...this is very important. The advanced pigeon pose is to bring the back leg up and grab it over your head...hence the reason the curving back is important...eventually. Yoga is SO helpful for getting flexible. Good luck!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Actually I became more flexible doing Chalean Extreme. This is 3 days of weight lifting and 2 days of cardio and it really did make me a lot more flexible.
  • lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yoga and stretching.
  • jdedzant
    jdedzant Posts: 34
    Options
    Just DO NOT stretch unless you are warmed up first. You can seriously injure yourself! Do some squats and jumping jacks for about 5-10 minutes...

wearing warm layers and starting out with mild stretches first can take the place of a warm up in a pinch too. most of the time i neglect cardio warmups but i never go without sweats to stretch in and i rarely pull muscles
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    A nice HARD foam roller works wonders. There's actually no other way (besides massage) that I know of to stretch your IT band...and that band causes most lower leg problems with runners.
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Another vote for yoga here.

I've only been practicing since the end of January (3 days a week). I was pretty much the least flexible person imaginable when I started-- I honestly could not even bend over far enough to touch my toes in the beginning. The change it has made in such a short time has been remarkable!
  • bjorgen2
    bjorgen2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    yoga, yoga and more yoga
  • arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    Options
    i have been doing Yoga since 5 years now..and i was way more flexible than the other girls at the bellydancing classes..so yes Yoga helps a lot also stretching and belly dancing
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Ok Ok ... so I get it... stretch more... and do Yoga...

What kind of Yoga? Any yoga... does anyone have a specific routine... or video?
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The best is to go to a local class. Doing it with people really increases your energy and drive. There is likely an ashtanga yoga place near you. It is good for what you want and not meditative or spiritually focused. I love bikrams yoga becasue it heated to an insane temperature and you start to sweat the second you walk in. they are less common tho.

P90x has a yoga day that you can do from home. Some people aren`t big fans of it, I think its ok but not great.