Running Shoes AHHHHHH

Options
So I have been looking to buy some good running shoes because I run/jog/walk like over 20 miles a week and going to start doing some Triathlons/Duathlons and need a good shoe to run in. I really do not overpronate but my feet are flat and was wondering if anybody out there has any good advice on some good shoes. It has been frustrating though I have narrowed it down to either some Nike Shox Turbos (afriad they might be to heavy), Nike LunaRacer, Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11, or might just be worth it to go big money and get the Asics Gel-Kensei 3. Anybody have any thoughts or any differnet kind of shoes please share.

Replies

• alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Go to RunnersWorld.com and check out the Shoe Dog. It helps you pick out shoes based on your body, running style, etc.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Go get fit at a store that specializes in running. They will look at how you walk, your stride, your foot fall...everything. Then, they'll help you pick a shoe that is right for you. I'm a rookie triathlete too and getting fit made a HUGE difference for me on my runs.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Not really answering your question but when you get an answer go to FootLocker.com and get 20% off over $75.
  • dlynn08
    dlynn08 Posts: 57
    Options
    I just started running so I'm not much of an expert...but I went to a running store to get fitted. I'm neutral, so I had quite a few options and could then just pick what I wanted based on look and price.

If you want to order online because of price, I say go try them out in a running store first...you can run with them on the treadmill or outside and most places have a good return policy if you end up not liking them should you purchase there. I think that might help you narrow it down, it's hard to decide if all you can do is look at them online. Everyone's feet are so different that a good shoe for one person will be an awful shoe for someone else.
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you about the footlocker.....I got sized and looked it really flat feet / slight overpronation but not severe size 10.5 right on the edge of D/E width
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Brooks! I actually wear the Brooks Cascadia's. I have the last 3 year's models. They are a trail shoe, but I wear them on the road because they are very light. I usually run 4-6 miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 13 on saturday, and 9 on Sundays. After my 1/2 in May I will be training for a full. So far I have ran 3 1/2 marathons in my cascadia's! You can't go wrong with any model of brooks!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    There's really no substitute for going to a specialty running store and being fitted there.

But if you do decide to go about this yourself, without a professional's help (which I do NOT advise) please realize that you need to buy 1/2 to a full size larger in your running shoes than your street shoes in most cases. This leaves room for your feet to swell and for you not to hit the end of the toebox when going downhill(which is the cause of black and missing toenails). You should have one full thumbwidth between your longest toe and the end of the toebox.

After you've determined which shoe you need (hopefully from a running store), you can buy subsequent pairs online and save 20-40% by buying last season's colors. Shoe manufacturers turn the inventory over twice a year, usually only changing the colors. So save away!

Running shoes are only good for about 300-500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. After that, the midsole is shot. So keep track of your mileage and how long you've had the shoes so you know when to replace them.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    The thing I've found about shoes is that size matters! :laugh: I have two pairs of Saucony running shoes...both high end models. In one I wear an 8.5 comfortably, so when I went to get my "indoor" pair I tried on a new model (because they always change them out) and the 8.5's were too large and so I came home with a very comfy 8. I'm really leary of ording shoes online unless I KNOW i've tried that exact same model on in a store. I'd much rather spend money on nice fitting shoes than any almost any other fitness equipment. If my feet hurt, the rest of my body hurts.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I was going to have you go to www.runningroom.com and use the "find my shoe" tab, but it's down... from what you said, and comparing it to my own flat feet, I think of the ones you mentioned the Brooks Adrenaline would be best. I have those myself and they seem to work well. BUT don't buy without at leat trying Asics Gel Kayano 16's or 17's. I'm training for my first marathon, and happily bouncing between those two shoes.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options

Running shoes are only good for about 300-500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. After that, the midsole is shot. So keep track of your mileage and how long you've had the shoes so you know when to replace them.

I've been wearing running shoes for years in my everyday work with children and I've very much noticed that about every six months I get this funny ache in my knees and legs...sometimes it takes a few days and then it dawns on me...oh, ya, I need a new pair of shoes. :smile:
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    BUT don't buy without at leat trying Asics Gel Kayano 16's or 17's.

Ha! That's what I just bought today.

After my trained professional concluded those were the best fit on my feet. :wink:
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am a running shoe "expert"... (and I sell a ton of them for a living)

Nike Shox, not a good idea for ankle stability and Nike is trying to get out of the Shox business for runners, so they don't work as well or last as long as they have in the past, Lunaracer: great shoes, but with as much training as it sounds like you're doing you will wear them out quickly. Brooks: great for the width, not necesarily awesome for the flat feet, and also, their durabilty has really gone downhill over the last few years...

Asics: always more expensive, but it's because they don't mess with the product line, just update the color packages. These are meant for high hard mileage and while more expensive, they almost always pay your body back in dividends, and I have the least amount of dissatisfaction with these compared to the others you've mentioned.

Also lookup coupons for champssports.com, they offer free shipping to your local store, so you can try them on and make sure you like them before you get them home, or we can handle the exchange/refund directly at the store... Then you can get more input also as to the performace factor...
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    oops.
  • krledvina
    krledvina Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11 are my new favorite running shoe. I run about 20 miles a week as well and I had the brooks Launch, which I absolutely loved!!!! I too have flat feet, and they never caused any issues with my feet or knees. I purchased the Adrenalines a week ago and ran 9 miles in them last Sunday and they were great!!!!!!!!
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not a long distance runner (mostly bought for running on the treadmill) or anything like that but I love my Reebok Run Tones. They are the most comfortable exercise shoes I've ever had (Vans are the most comfortable every day shoes, imo). They were surprisingly affordable as well.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    I am a running shoe "expert"... (and I sell a ton of them for a living)

Nike Shox, not a good idea for ankle stability and Nike is trying to get out of the Shox business for runners, so they don't work as well or last as long as they have in the past, Lunaracer: great shoes, but with as much training as it sounds like you're doing you will wear them out quickly. Brooks: great for the width, not necesarily awesome for the flat feet, and also, their durabilty has really gone downhill over the last few years...

Asics: always more expensive, but it's because they don't mess with the product line, just update the color packages. These are meant for high hard mileage and while more expensive, they almost always pay your body back in dividends, and I have the least amount of dissatisfaction with these compared to the others you've mentioned.

Also lookup coupons for champssports.com, they offer free shipping to your local store, so you can try them on and make sure you like them before you get them home, or we can handle the exchange/refund directly at the store... Then you can get more input also as to the performace factor...

In at least some types of shoes, Asics has a high-end and then a more budget-friendly option. I wear the Asics GT-2160, but they also make the GT-1160 which is about $30 or $40 less in price. Do you know if they do this in all the types of shoes they sell, or is it just this one stability shoe?
  • vonalj
    vonalj Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Asics!
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    But if you do decide to go about this yourself, without a professional's help (which I do NOT advise) please realize that you need to buy 1/2 to a full size larger in your running shoes than your street shoes in most cases. This leaves room for your feet to swell and for you not to hit the end of the toebox when going downhill(which is the cause of black and missing toenails). You should have one full thumbwidth between your longest toe and the end of the toebox.

Wow, I did not know this at all! Thank you!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    BUT don't buy without at leat trying Asics Gel Kayano 16's or 17's.

Ha! That's what I just bought today.

After my trained professional concluded those were the best fit on my feet. :wink:

I bought these a couple of weeks ago too!! (yes, yes, after being properly fitted and all)
    I feel like my feet are being hugged as I'm running, they are so comfy!
  • Atlantique
    Options

Wow, I did not know this at all! Thank you!

You're welcome! A lot of people wear their running shoes too small and then get the toenail issues. I ran 25 miles a week for years and did 4 half-marathons--never had a toenail problem!

And you can't really tell by looking at the shoe that the midsole is shot--it looks just fine! But then you start getting weird aches and pains. If you aren't sure if yours need to be replaced, wear your old running shoes to the store. Take a little jog in the store. Then try on a new pair of the same shoe, repeat the jog and see if you feel a difference. If you do, you're overdue for new shoes!