Plateau this soon?? FRUSTRATED!!!

Options
Week 7 and still 1.5 pounds above my weight from 3 weeks ago, and I'm still 60 pounds overweight. Is this my final weight? Is my body happy here? I'm working my *kitten* off at the gym and eating my calories. I'm stuck at the same weight as when I ate like a pig and did nothing. What the hell!!!!!! cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

Why do some people lose 1-2 pounds a week RIGHT ON SCHEDULE and I lose ****-all? I've tried eating workout calories. I've tried raising calories. I've tried the opposite of both. I'm getting great workouts five days a week. Some say that's too much, some say I could workout 6. I'm sleeping 7-8 hours. I'm drinking the ocean. I lost 23 pounds and hit ****ing GRANITE. I'm tired of all this science. ****2.gif

I'm tired of encouraging people all the time and meanwhile my scale says "good job, you're heavier." I lose 2 pounds a day in sweat alone!!! Where is this coming from? Not my diet. My diary is published. My BMR is 2800, I'm eating 2000 a day, plus working out and eating very few of my workout cals. It should be about 2 pounds a week deficit. I'm getting REALLY BORED OF THIS!!!!!!! I ate like a total lard *kitten* and was at this same weight for 3 years. Don't tell me my body sees this the same???

bigfusion.gif

PS - it's not muscle! I've read all the literature. It takes 2 months for muscles to start growing and then a couple pounds a month at most, not 2-3 pounds a week. It's NOT muscle. It's not sodium. Check my sodium levels, plus working out neutralizes a lot of sodium. It can only be fat storage. My body is burning everything but fat and I'm PISSED OFF!!!

(Whew)

Replies

• wildst4r
    wildst4r Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    oh man :( i totally know the feeling. :(
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Your body is pretty simple. 1lb Fat= 3500 Calories if your body burns 3500 more calories than you take in you will lose 1lb in a perfect world at least. So maybe it is not that simple but don't try to over examine it and make it harder than it has to be. If you are eating right and you are excercising wether your body likes it or not eventually it will start shedding the weight.
  • Criolla80
    Criolla80 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hello -

Plateaus happen. You just have to acknowledge it for what it is and throw something different into your regime to kick your body back into gear. It may not be the calories but more that your body has become used to the sort of exercises you are doing. Maybe it is time to switch to two weeks of rock climbing or cycling. Or, you may need to incorporate swimming. Your body will go through periods where certain cardio or strength approaches won't work. Once you change it up a bit, you will start moving downward again.

Keep in mind, your body isn't happy until YOU are.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    I AM THERE WITH YOU AND TRYING EVERYTHING I CAN TO GET OVER IT.. HOWEVER I FOUND THAT MY MUS. ARE HOLDING WATER TRYING TO FIX ITSELF.. BUT DON'T KNOW HOPE IT PASSES SOON. I STARTED DOING THE C25K SO I HAVE A DIFFERENT SCALE TO JUDGE BY TILL THE WEIGHT STARTES GOING DOWN
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Man! That is tough.

I have a few question:

1) What is happening with your measurements? Are they stuck as well, or are they changing. Yes, you can't build muscle that quickly, but as they get worked they will hold more water so they can hold more glycogen to power them. That would not be fat, and if you have a fair amount of lean mass under the fat, it could be several pounds. This is normal and healthy.

2) What sort of workouts are you doing? This can make a big difference.

3) Have you changed your workout majorly in the last week or so. That can result in temporary weight gain as well. Again, that is retaining water, similar to the growth you can see in muscle when it seeks to provide itself with additional energy stores.

4) You say you have tried upping your calories, and lowering your calories, have you tried zig zagging them? Up one day down the other, two up, one down, one up, two down sort of thing?
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It is very frustrating. I've lost 34 lbs...first six months with eating under calories, exercising 6 times a week, drinking water, and changing some poor snacking/coffee choices. For two months, I have been at a plateau. I started TurboFire 3 weeks ago and still at the same weight. I refuse to give though....Going to keep on until the last 18 lbs are gone!!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    It looks to me like you aren't consistant and you probably aren't eating enough. You are eating 1600-2000 a day, but burning off 500-900 in exercise. So your net is 1000 or 1200 on many days. If I were you, I'd figure out my maintenance and deduct 500 from that. Then be sure to eat back everything you burn during exericse that is over 500 calories per day.

Your logging seems erratic, although better recently. Make sure you track what you eat, every bite, every day...no cheating or slacking. Weight loss isn't linear and predictable, as in it doesn't fall off at 12:01am the day you reach a 3500 deficit. My weight stays the same and even bounces UP 2-5 pounds before a sudden drop...sometimes 3-4 weeks of frustrating 'nothing' before it happens. But the loss does happen. It can't NOT happen. Just do not cheat.

Also, you seem to be extremly low on fats and what there are kind of tend to be sweets. I'd suggest eating more healthy fats - olive oil, diary, almonds, flaxseed, etc.

Good luck and feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Man! That is tough.

I have a few question:

1) What is happening with your measurements? Are they stuck as well, or are they changing. Yes, you can't build muscle that quickly, but as they get worked they will hold more water so they can hold more glycogen to power them. That would not be fat, and if you have a fair amount of lean mass under the fat, it could be several pounds. This is normal and healthy.
    Haven't been taking measurements, but I feel about the same, clothes fit about the same as a month ago.

2) What sort of workouts are you doing? This can make a big difference.
    I've read all the lit. Basically, I'm doing different exercises everyday, spinning class 1-2 times, floor work, weights, lots of core.

3) Have you changed your workout majorly in the last week or so. That can result in temporary weight gain as well. Again, that is retaining water, similar to the growth you can see in muscle when it seeks to provide itself with additional energy stores.
    See above.

4) You say you have tried upping your calories, and lowering your calories, have you tried zig zagging them? Up one day down the other, two up, one down, one up, two down sort of thing?
    My diary is published so if you want to take a look be my guest. If you do net calories, it looks quite zig zagged.

Thanks! Answers within quote...
  • WinKitty
    WinKitty Posts: 119
    Options
    *hugs*

This was me, 2 years ago. I still don't know what went wrong. All I know is that I GAVE UP after a month of the scale not moving, and it was one of the worst mistakes I have ever made.

I don't have any advice for you. I'm new to this. I just wanted to tell you that I know what that is like, I KNOW that frustration, and that heartache, too. Please don't make the same mistake I did. Power through it. Even have a pity party for a day or two. Just don't give up!
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    I'm sorry :( I hope you overcome this very soon! Wish I had advice for you but what the others say seem to make sense. Good luck.
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've lost 12.5 since January and have been at the same weight for three weeks! I tried zig zagging.... didn't work. I run about 6 miles a week. I get so tired of "maybe that's all your body is going to lose" or "your fat is turning to muscle and muscle weighs more" I may try interval training......... I feel your pain!
  • rileysowner
    Options
    You have me stumped. I wish I could help. I will suggest maybe dropping all cardio and go to purely weight lifting for a week, push the weights hard and then go back to what you are currently doing.

The only other thing I can think of is to check with your doctor whether you may have a thyroid problem. I have read a few people here who have had major problems losing because of that. It is likely that is not the case, but you never know and for the poke in the arm for the blood test it is probably worth checking.
  • EricJonrosh
    Options
    You have me stumped. I wish I could help. I will suggest maybe dropping all cardio and go to purely weight lifting for a week, push the weights hard and then go back to what you are currently doing.

The only other thing I can think of is to check with your doctor whether you may have a thyroid problem. I have read a few people here who have had major problems losing because of that. It is likely that is not the case, but you never know and for the poke in the arm for the blood test it is probably worth checking.

Jim, I take it you've never plateaued for 3 weeks?

I may try the weightlifting. What puzzles me is why I was able to lose 75 pounds 20 years ago without mfp, fat burning zone, starvation mode, muscle confusion, or any other pop-science calorie counting bull****. I ate healthy, cut out fat and sugar, and did the same workout everyday for 6 months. I even ate white spaghetti and wheat bread that wasn't whole grain. And didn't count one calorie.
  • brookesready
    brookesready Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Maybe try rotating carbs? High one day, low the next. I think you will have to just play around with different things to see what your body needs to continue dropping the pounds. I wish you the best of luck.. I know how frustrating it can be. Hang in there!
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    Here are some recommendations based on what worked for me. I'm no expert, this is just based on my experience.

Try to limit your fruit intake to 2-3 servings per day. You seem to often have 5 or more servings per day.

try to get more veggies - I don't see them too often. I believe you are supposed to get 5 servings in per day. I struggle with this as well, I usually end up with about 2 servings.

Nuts should be eaten sparringly a few servings per week. Eating them daily caused my weight loss to slow early on in my progress. Reducing how often I ate them helped my progress.

Decrease your carbs to 200g or less per day - (you seem to eat wheat bread about 3 slices or so per day. Could try to cut back to 1-2 slices). Try to get your protein above 150g per day.

Could try substituting almond milk for skim milk.
  • lnjklnjk
    lnjklnjk Posts: 5
    Options
    You may want to try and get more protein and less carbs. I know in the P90X they start you out with a fat shredder phase which is I think 50% protein 30% carbs and 20% fat. After that they go to a 40% protein 40% carb and 20% fat. Not sure about the last phase. You can change your percentages so that it gives you the correct grams you are trying to hit. I would say if you are doing a lot of weights you should try to increase your protein. Good luck.
  • newman50
    newman50 Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm with you on this.

I am on an advanced training program with a personal trainer

I am 7 weeks in to it.

Nutrition is faultless (based on MFP, my PT's review and my various other subject matter experts)

I dropped 20-22 pounds in the first 3 weeks and have definately developed a lot of lean muscle.

My numbers all look great but weight loss has plateued. I have stepped up my training, followed the advice of the experts and yet, no change.

Sure, most people (those that are not in to fitness) say it takes time and I have no problem with that but it is tough when you put in the work and don't get returns (especially when I was getting dramatic results)

I have been through all the usual things - my personal trainer is stumped.

I enjoy my gym activities and I love my new nutrition so I am sticking with it but a return for the effort would be good

Good luck mate. Keep smiling.
  • rileysowner
    Options

Jim, I take it you've never plateaued for 3 weeks?

I may try the weightlifting. What puzzles me is why I was able to lose 75 pounds 20 years ago without mfp, fat burning zone, starvation mode, muscle confusion, or any other pop-science calorie counting bull****. I ate healthy, cut out fat and sugar, and did the same workout everyday for 6 months. I even ate white spaghetti and wheat bread that wasn't whole grain. And didn't count one calorie.

I have never plateaued at all for what it is worth.

Ignore stuff like the "fat burning zone" there is no such thing. You want to work out as intensely as you can. That is the advantage of HIIT, Metabolic Resistance Training, and the like. You work out very hard for 20-30 minutes and burn lots of calories. You also keep burning calories long after you are done.

Part of the issue is that you are 20 years older, but when it comes down to it, that is just an excuse as valid as it is because all it means is you have to be more diligent and smart in what you do.

I am not one for cutting out foods, just making sure you maintain a reasonable calorie deficit. Have you tried dropping down to 1400 or so calories for a few days, and not eating back exercise calories? I lost the vast majority of my fat eating 1450 per day and never eating back exercise calories for 6-7 months I lost fat and gained muscle which many would say is impossible. Looking back I would not recommend that to others, but a short time doing that would not hurt and may kick you into weight loss again.

The other thing I have used since November is "Eat Stop Eat" Basically you fast following supper one day until supper the next, then eat a normal supper. I do that once or twice a week. I have no idea if that has anything to do with not have had a plateau so far, but it works for me. The benefits of fasting intermittently are numerous as well. The best thing it did for me is really teach me what it feels like to actually be hunger, not just the thing most of us call hunger which happens when our bodies are still digesting food we have eaten.
  • PamDW
    PamDW Posts: 246
    Options
    when I plateau, I change up my routine...change the kind of calories I am eating, cut way make on my sodium and change my workout times.. (which is hard cuz I hate working out at night) but it does make a difference... Protein is a key factor in losing weight, that helped me over my last plateau... also circuit training is a good workout to mix in with your routine... it actually burns more calories than weight lifting and cardio done separately because it keeps you constantly working on changing heart rate.
    Don't give up... it didnt take weeks to get where we are but it will take even longer to get where we want to be... patience and perserverance!
  • EricJonrosh
    Options
    Update. I stripped down and had a good poo and dropped .6 pounds! Woohoo!