Nervous about Going back to the gym tomorrow

recipe4success
recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
So i haven't been to the gym in a long time...and i'm scared. i signed up to go to a weight lifting class tomorrow morning. it is 60 minutes long. i'm really afraid i won't make it through it and that i won't be able to do anything :(((( At least i am going with some friends so that should help me get through it.

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    u will b fine, and everyone has a 1st time, gd luck with it:flowerforyou:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    You can do it! Don't be scared. If the gym is professional and employs good trainers, then they should be able to help you figure out what weights/exercises are right for you and how you need to modify things, if you do - not everyone in class will be able to do the exact same thing, but that's okay.

CONGRATS on taking this big step! Don't be afraid to have fun! It's great that you're going with friends.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    YOu should not be nervous, just have fun with your friends and do the best you can.
  • carcar03
    carcar03 Posts: 23 Member
    Enter with an open mind and a positive attitude and you'll be just fine!

Introduce yourself to the instructor before the class begins, so he/she can give you an idea of what to expect. Keep your weights light at first and focus more on your form and technique rather than how much weight you are lifting. Do not get discouraged if you feel that you are not following all of the moves correctly or you are not in sync with everyone else. This happens to most first timers. You may be sore the next morning, but to me that’s a good sign! Again, just keep a positive attitude and do not just do one class, give yourself 2 or 3 classes to become comfortable with everything that is going on. Good luck and have lots of fun!!
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    You can do it! You haven't been in a long time so getting there is the hardest part. Remember you don't have to compete with your friends or anyone else, do weights that you feel comfortable with and when you get too worn out take a break. You don't win a gold star by killing yourself your first day back..you get it by doing your best. Good Luck and have fun with it.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    thank you so much everyone :) It will be interesting to see how much weight I can lift...i'm guessing barely anything? I figure i'll pick up 3lb and 5lb weights and the lightest body bar and see how it goes...

the trainers there were always very good when I went before, and very supportive so that should help.

i used to love weightlifting and go 3x a week to classes....then i went 3-4 x a week and did a weight routine in the gym itself that a trainer made for me....want to get back to that again....but it is a way off.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    just don't overdo it. Don't be afraid to lift light and build up. Get there a little early to let the instructor know and find out a little about the class - ie how many reps you will be doing etc - and they can recommend a weight for you. If they are doing lots of reps you'll want to be sure to be light enough to do them all safely (and w/out discouraging yourself).
This discussion has been closed.