Free Weights Vs. Resitance Bands/Tubing

Options
I'm trying to create my own mini home-gym and have limited space/funds but still looking to get ripped. I'm weighing my options before I spend a fortune on crap I don't necessarily need. I'm wondering which are more effective in regards to muscle building (and muscle confusion)?

Are free-weights overall more effective for concrete muscle-building, or can you get the same dramatic results using a resitance bands or tubing?

Thanks! :D

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I've heard that resistance bands are better because they increase resistance as you pull, so that at maximum contraction you have maximum resistance, where free weights are the same level of resistance through the whole rep. But I'd love to hear if somebody has some better information.
  • suziehomemaker
    Options
    bump :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Any of those and even using just body weight exercises are fine. For body weight stuff check out bodyweightculture.com or the book "You are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren. Bodyweightcoach.com is another place to look. They have everything from straight bodyweight to suspension bodyweight to resistance band exercises.

If I were to buy equipment to start I would get a good bench and a set of powerblocks dumbells (or something similar).
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine it depends on how strong you are and what exercises you plan on doing? I do P90X and use both bands and weights. I find that the bands are just too easy, especially as progressing through the program.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I've been doing P90X and Tony Horton has one person who uses weights and one who uses bands. I use them instead of a pull up bar (pull downs).

I like them better than using a pull up bar. And they take up no space at all.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Awesome site suggestions! I am a fan already....
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    sometimes, I attach resistance bands to my weights. I do this when I am toning with light weights and high reps and works very well. Depends on your workout. Neither is "better," just accomodating to the results wanted.
  • dfulgoni
    dfulgoni Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend looking into kettlebell training. You need very little space (you can even move it outside when the weather is cooperating), minimal investment to buy one or two of them, and it is an incredible full body workout which mixes cardio and resistance training into a pretty short session (usually between 20 and 30 minutes is good).

I've tried about every resistance workout under the sun over the past 20 years and I've been using KB's for about a year now and use them as my primary form of resistance training. Someone mentioned the "You Are Your Own Gym" book as well. Great book of body weight exercises. I steal a few exercises from that to supplement my KB routines.

If you want to look into these, I'd just recommend looking at a few DVD's for training purposes as you want to be sure to get the core moves down correctly so as to avoid injury and increase effectiveness. I bought my wife the Iron Core volume 1 set by Sarah Lurie and it's a great intro and has really good instruction and a couple of good beginner workouts. She also authored the book Kettlebells for Dummies which is also very good as well.

Sorry for the long response... ;)

Good luck!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I've heard that resistance bands are better because they increase resistance as you pull, so that at maximum contraction you have maximum resistance, where free weights are the same level of resistance through the whole rep. But I'd love to hear if somebody has some better information.
    I'd heard this often as well, but my own experience is a little different. On one hand, yes it's true that you get an increased load as you pull, but then again, do you want that? I want a 35lb (or whatever) pull throughout the entire motion - not just at the end/height.

I also got frustrated not knowing how much I'm pulling with the bands. When you're wanting to seriously improve and get stronger I find that it's very helpful to know exactly what weight you did last time & how many reps so that you can KNOW if you're improving strength wise. With bands it's kind of inexact.

No question they're cheaper and take up less space though. I'm also a fan of bodyweight exercises where appropriate.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    My problem with resistance bands is there is no way to know how many pounds of resistance it really equals out to be. You can get a great workout from them though - I'm just a numbers person and like to know so I can see improvement in moving up in weights etc. Also, be sure you have somewhere you can attach them to so you can do things like "pull up" type pulls etc.

You can look into those adjustable dumbells as well that you can change the weight on so you don't have to buy a whole rack full of weights. My sister has some and loves them.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    My problem with resistance bands is there is no way to know how many pounds of resistance it really equals out to be. You can get a great workout from them though - I'm just a numbers person and like to know so I can see improvement in moving up in weights etc. Also, be sure you have somewhere you can attach them to so you can do things like "pull up" type pulls etc.

You can look into those adjustable dumbells as well that you can change the weight on so you don't have to buy a whole rack full of weights. My sister has some and loves them.
    Yep. I got the SelecTech adjustables for Christmas on a Black Monday deal - love em!
  • FrodoB
    FrodoB Posts: 19
    Options
    I started off with bands for the same reason, I didn't want to take a lot of room with dumbbells (not to mention the cost). However, I never really felt like I was getting great results with the bands. I switched to dumbbells and feel like they are much better. I got some powerblock adjustables and they work really well.