What to do about wedding ring?

Options
silhouettes
silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
I haven't wore my engagement ring in forever, it got to big... I am waiting to see what size I need to adjust it to once I finish loosing.. but the problem is my wedding band!

It feel off today and scared the crap outta me, I didn't think I was going to find it.. so I started moving it and it's so loose it's not funny :(

I don't want to get it resized until I loose all the weight I need to.. which is a little less than 50 lbs away so going to be awhile... but the guy that's gonna be resizing it said it's not good to keep resizing it.. since it's so small and it hurts the ring.

Anyone else loose alot of weight and have this problem? Tips or advice on what to do! I don't want to loose the ring or stop wearing it... but I'm getting scared of loosing it! I can't believe my finger shrunk so much!

Replies

• caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your non scale victory of your ring being too big!

Go to a jeweler and get a ring guard! They only cost about $7-$10 and the jeweler can attach it right to your ring while you wait. It's basically an attachment that makes the ring smaller without having to resize the ring yet! That way you can still wear it but can wait until you reach your goal before resizing it! That's what I did!

I hope this helps you! :flowerforyou:
  • klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    they do make ring sizers that clip on to the ring or you could do it like we did in the 70's and wrap yarn around the ring until it fits
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your non scale victory of your ring being too big!

Go to a jeweler and get a ring guard! They only cost about $7-$10 and the jeweler can attach it right to your ring while you wait. It's basically an attachment that makes the ring smaller without having to resize the ring yet! That way you can still wear it but can wait until you reach your goal before resizing it! That's what I did!

I hope this helps you! :flowerforyou:

I had no clue such a thing existed! I will check it out next time I am out.. thanks so much!
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You're welcome! :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Maybe wear the rings on a chain around your neck for now? You won't lose them, can still wear them every day?
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Well first of all congratulations on your massive weight loss! I think I would go ahead and get it resized if I were you. My understanding was that it is bad to make it small and then larger again because in that case they sometimes just stretch the metal and then it gets thinner and thinner. I had my engagement ring resized when I first got it (it is an antique ring) and will definitely get it resized as soon as it's so big that it's at risk of falling off. You don't want to lose your ring!! Also, surely there's a limit to how skinny fingers can go- I expect that I will get my ring resized once more and that I could lose over a stone on my body but there's not much fat left on my fingers! :)
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    They also have plastic ones at walmart for like $2, in different sizes that you just slip right on. Not quite as nice or fitted as what a jeweler can do though!
  • roundisnotsquare
    Options
    Congrats...

I had the same problem. I got a ring guard put on my engagement ring and I wear it on top of my wedding band, so it will keep both on. Works like a charm.

I am in the same boat you are. I don't want to resize until I reach my goal.
  • Lauren52111
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! I'm wearing my engagement ring on a necklace until I reach my final goal weight. I got my ring resized in january without realizing how much smaller my finger would shrink! i am having beads placed on the inside of the ring instead of asking the jeweler to change the size of the band so not to do any damage. good luck :)
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Wear it on a chain for the time being will you know your at your goal then get it sized
  • jgreene76
    jgreene76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job! Keep up the good work.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I had to stop wearing both my wedding and engagement rings when I put on weight. I tried them on the other day and they fit ok but still a little tight to wear every day all day. I have just been wearing my friendship ring for years as my wedding ring. Perhaps you have another ring you can wear it's it place until you get to your final weight and then resize them.
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    when I gained weight I stopped wearing it... DH wasn't pleased so it got it re-sized ( stretched)...now its too big....I don't wear it again..when I do, its with a ring guard... Our anniversary is coming up & I'm hoping for a new ring ;)
  • Zinzie182
    Options
    Hi! I have been in the jewelry industry for over 8 years, and I'm sorry but I have to advise AGAINST a ring guard. They are made of base metal, and it will scratch your ring. The plastic ones are best, followed by yarn. The other option is to wear it on the other hand, or on another finger. I know my right hand and fingers are almost a full size larger than my left, because I'm right handed. Best of luck!
  • tinboy
    tinboy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was originally a size 4.5; now noticing my size 6 bands are also coming off too easily, so have been wearing a plain size 5 band at work, so as not to lose my rings; and wear my other bands when I am off, and keep a closer eye on them...I want to wait to resize, as they have already been resized up from a smaller size, and don't want to do it that many times...
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Can you get a chain to keep it on for the time being? That's what my mom did.
  • tinboy
    tinboy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    yeah, I've put them on my right hand also, it is about 1 size larger for me, too.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Such a timely post. My wedding ring fell off while I was doing dishes yesterday. Thanks for generating all of those helpful solutions that I never even thought about!